News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Buick Modified Division

Started by David #19063, January 11, 2005, 07:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David #19063

To all,

Now that I got your attention.

As I am am a member of both the CLC and BCA (Buick Club of America) and a former member of both the OCA (Olds...) and the Galaxy Club, I thought I would share the following since we are discussing the merits of a Cadillac Modified Chapter and since this is also going on in the BCA:

I usually receive the Self Starter and Buick Bugle on the same day.  Both magazine come with a paper over cover generally with applications to the main organization or for Nationals.

The inside page of the new Bugles paper cover has an application for the Buick Modified Division:

"
Membership Application - Buick Modified Division
A Division of the buick Club of America

The BUICK MODIFIED DIVISION (BMD) is a division of the Buick Club of America (BCA).

The BMD believes in the following.

1.  Modifying of Buicks for personal satisfaction and safety is acceptable.

2.  Encouraging the use of Buick drive-line components in modified models.

3.  Use of other manufacturers engines in Buicks is discouraged.

4.  We will work towards the acceptance of modified Buicks in the BCA.

If you have sympathy with these philosophies, you are invited o joing the Modified Buick Division.  In order to be a member of the BMD, YOU MUST BE A MEMBER IN GOOD STANDING OF THE BUICK CLUB OF AMERICA.  If you are not a member, please indicate so and we will provide you with an application to join.  Thank you.

Dues for the BMD are $15.00 per year.

BMD
Alliston, Ontario, Canada
"

I thought this would interest those that are interested in a Cadillac Modified Chapter.  We do not need to have all the answers right now nor do we have to have total acceptance (as seen in #4 above), but we do need to start somewhere.

#1-4 covers both modified engines and drivelines and modified bodies.

I think following their format would be beneficial for us.  

Right now, we do not need to worry about judging, etc.

Also, I think Al Betkers idea of a website to start is a great thought.  I met Al at the 2004 Cadillac Nationals in South Bend, Indiana and he would be a great addition to help out.

Plus, from comments I have read on this forum, it seems that the CLC will accept a modified chapter...that is great!  The rest is up to us.

Anyway, comments are welcomed (as always with me).

David

Michael Stamps 19507

I like those rules except for the engine item.  I would change that to:

Must have an engine offered in that body style or any year Cadillac engine.

That would keep the SBCs out of the older Cadillacs but allow them in a 93 Fleetwood for instance.  It would still allow swapping a built 500 into any year.

My 2 cents,
Stampie

Johnny

With all due respect, you must keep in mind that "Cadillacs" are not like every other ordinary automobile.  A Cadillac represents many things to many people, and any desecration of a Cadillac, should not be encouraged.  We must strive to continue the proud reputation Cadillac has had for over a hundred years, and not succumb to turning them into hot rods.  Thank you.

Michael Stamps 19507

Guess you havent heard of the Evil Woman have you?

http://www.stampie.com/70SDV/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.stampie.com/70SDV/

Stampie

PS - To each his own.

David #19063

Stampie,

I guess I would read #2 as:

Encouraging the use of Cadillac drive-line components in modified models.

Since the LT1 came in the 94-96 Fleetwoods, the 350 SBC in the 93s, and the 307 Olds in the 80s Fleetwood, plus the 79 Eldorado having a 350 Olds...technically they are "Cadillac drive-line components".  Although they were made by other divisions, they did come stock in Cadillacs.

So I think we are ok there.

Now if you read the wording carefully, Encouraging & discouraged I think they do not want to exclude examples that may cross the line, especially older modifieds, but do NOT want to promote that crossing of the line.

Anyway, we can write whatever we want, the BMDs very was just so we did not have to reinvent the wheel.

Personally, if I had money to burn, I love to get a 96 Fleetwood Brougham with the 3.42 posi of the trailer package and drop in the brand new LS6 400 from the Vette.  I mean, if they were making a 2005/6 Fleetwood Brougham now, thats what it would come with.  (I doubt they would put in the supercharged Northstar as for towing purposes the push rod normally aspirated V8 would be more reliable and would have better low end torque.)  So, since the LT1 and the LS6 are not too different, Id like to still be a apart of the chapter.

Since Ill never have money to burn, we do not have to worry about that scenerio...LOL!

Just my thoughts.

David

Michael Stamps 19507

My point was to discourage someone getting an LT1 out of a 93 Fleetwood and putting it into a say 60 Eldorado.  The engine would be totally out of place.  

I agree that because Cadillac borrowed so many engines the swap issue is tough but do you really want to see more of the cookie cutter SBCs?

I like your ideal Fleetwood.  Thats the idea behind The Evil Woman.  Make a car that hauls a** but looks like something grandma would drive.

Stampie

David #19063

In my opinion, most people with SBCs are looking for Heavy Metal cars.  They want little A-Bodys.

Seriously, I cannot get anyone to serously look at my very nice 71 Electra Custom 2DHT with 32,000 original miles for $5900/offer.  Even she has brand new 255 70R15s and new 2 1/4" dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40s and chrome tips.  An absolutel beautiful interior and AC.  

Plus in October, she ran a 15.550 sec 1/4 mile at 88.26 mph while still in 2nd gear.  She has an open 2.78 rear.  That is easily faster than both the 68 CDV and 68 Fleetwood Brougham I use to own, and the Brougham had a controlled differential too.

Most everyone wants a Chevelle or Camero around here.

Heck, there is an excellent 18,000 original mile 72 Fleetwood Brougham in the new Self Starter for $5500.  What a steal!

David

David #19063

Add a NOT in there...

"In my opinion, most people with SBCs are NOT looking for Heavy Metal cars."

Michael Stamps 19507

What Ive seen is the average Joe buys an older Cadillac because he can get such a classy looking ride on the cheap compared to the normal "collector" mass market cars hes used to dreaming about.  The first thought in his mind is how easy a SBC fits in there and why not throw a weak trans like a 200 behind it for overdrive.  Next thing you know hes trying to move 4,500 lbs around with a motor designed to move a much lighter car.  

Stampie

PS - This reminds me of when I first got the 60.  I stopped at a store and a couple of guys commented on her.  One of the guys gave me a thumbs up and then pointed out his early 70s Nova sitting there.  We all glanced at it and two seconds later were looking at the real ride.

Rhino 21150

There are two local cars that fascinate me. One is a 1938 Buick with a monstrous straight eight. Absolutely original except for the bulbs (halogens). Its gorgeous! And there is a 1935 La Salle four door with a 500 and race prepped tranny. It pulls a trailer designed to look like a 1935 Chevrolet. Car and trailer painted Coca Cola Red, not original. Love them both! My 38 La S is mostly original except the interior is totally sixties. I love it immensly! Again, to each his own. BTW, I have gotten an award for third place in prewar Detroit Pig Iron. But the real purpose of shows is flirting with the pretty DAUGHTERS of the other owners....

Steve Crum 20999

I suspect this rules out an Allison V-12 (still GM) in The Great White One? Were do custom commercial chassis builds fit into the definition of "modified"?