News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 Lasalle Engine rotation?

Started by Michael Conner, April 08, 2006, 08:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Conner

Hello, I have a 1937 Lasalle I,m trying to get running. What direction should the engine rotate from the front of the car looking back? My starter rotates CW from the drive end but, this seems wrong. As it mount on the lower passenger side and seems to be trying to rotate the engine CCW if you are loking forward. Any help please. Mike stokedsurfer@sbcglobal.net

JIM CLC # 15000

Quote from: Michael ConnerHello, I have a 1937 Lasalle I,m trying to get running. What direction should the engine rotate from the front of the car looking back? My starter rotates CW from the drive end but, this seems wrong. As it mount on the lower passenger side and seems to be trying to rotate the engine CCW if you are loking forward. Any help please. Mike stokedsurfer@sbcglobal.net

04-08-06

MICHAEL,  From the front of the engine looking to the rear, the engine turns CW.
I think from your post,You are saying that the starter is trying to turn the engine CCW looking forwards. IF that is what you are saying, that is correct.
The starter turns the same direction regardless of how the battery is connected.
HTH
Good Luck, Jim

Michael Conner

Thanks Jim, it appears the starter is turning the right direction. Now all I need to do is figure out why its not turning the motor it turns freely by hand. More troubleshooting I geuss. Mike

Rhino 21150

When you press the starter button, what happens? Does the engine turn over slowly, quickly, not at all? Can you here the starter whine at a high pitch? Describe the symptoms and you WILL get an answer!

Michael Conner

Hello, I loosened the mains pulled the flatheads and WD-40d the cylinders and used a flywhheel turner to turn the engine. It turns over fairly easily. The starter turns great outside the engine on the workbench. But mounted on the engine with cables to the starter and selenoid, the selenoid kicks in and the starter will not turn at all, kind of makes a glow growl like its trying to turn though. I hope thats enough info for you. Mike

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Mike,

Sounds like you have an electrical problem, like either a bad ground, or bad Negative terminal.

Dont forget that these vehicles have Positive Earth, and require very heavy cables to transmit the current.

You need the heavy leads, and good contacts, and a good battery to get the amperage to the Starter.

If your battery is grounded to the Chassis, it also requires a grounding to the Engine Block as well, and vice verca.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Michael Conner

Hi Bruce, Ran some 00 cables to the starter. And its turning over great now. Thanks Mike