News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

SDV vs. Touring Sedan

Started by franbev, January 31, 2013, 01:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franbev

I'm looking at a 1992 Cadillac Touring Sedan. Other than larger wheels and some trim there seems to be no difference with a SDV. Am I missing something? How many were made and for how long? I'm just looking for a nice driver, not a "classic". Thanks.
Fran

Makandriaco

Oh but there are differences, the suspension, transmission and other behind the scenes stuff. Precisely in 1992 the STS was Motor Trend's car of the year and it made Car & Driver's top 10. If you want it to drive it around, it really should make a difference.
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

franbev

Wasn't that the Seville STS? I'm familiar with those. This just looks like a SDV, it doesn't have dual exhausts or ground effects. Sorry I forgot to put my name on my first post. Frank Bevelacque.
Fran

Big Apple Caddy

The DeVille Touring sedan had a sticker price about $3,500 above (in 1992) the base DeVille and added things like leather seating, illuminated entry, power recliners, upgraded tires, 16” alloy wheels, FX3 suspension, traction control, and various cosmetics.

Much, except for various cosmetics, could be added to the base DeVille as extra cost options.  It was really the "look" that you were buying with the DeVille Touring.

Aaron Hudacky

In addition to the differences above, the Touring Sedan interior had real wood vs. the Sedan de Ville's plastic wood and a steering wheel like the 93 STS/ETC.  I think the seats had a different pattern also.  They are nice cars and I'd take one over a regular deVille for the nicer interior alone.  I don't know production figures, but they aren't all that common. 
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

Makandriaco

Please correct me if I am wrong but, wasn't the Touring Sedan a Seville and not a De Ville? I thought that is what STS ment (Seville Touring Sedan)
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

936CD69

The deVille based Touring Sedan was introduced in mid 1991 model year and continued thru the 93 model. There was also a deVille touring sedan and coupe 85-86. The later cars were very limited production. Exterior wise the had body color door handles and tailight bezels, specific 16" aluminum wheels, body color folding power mirrors,and the Wreath and Crest was mounted in the center of a unique grille. They were produced in limited colors. Interior featured unique 8way power seats, only available in Beechwood leather, along with American Walnut door and instument panel bezels. Powertrain wise a firmer trans shift calibration, sport speed sensitive suspension, and standard traction control. They are totally different from the STS. I would love to have one..

Be aware that many ebay sellers mistakenly list base Sedan deVilles as "Touring Sedan". The VIN of a real one starts 1G6CT53B....... base cars are 1G6CD.....
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Makandriaco on January 31, 2013, 06:12:23 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong but, wasn't the Touring Sedan a Seville and not a De Ville? I thought that is what STS ment (Seville Touring Sedan)
Both the Seville and DeVille had "Touring" editions.  The first DeVille Touring edition was the 1986 model and it had "aerodynamic" exterior items like a front air dam and a small rear spoiler, which seemed out of place on a Cadillac especially back then but maybe it's just me.  I found the later versions to be more tasteful.

Series75

The 86 model was a 2 door, yes?  The later model had some cool styling features like using the 90-91 ETC style door handles  painted.  The wheel opening mouldings were body colored, the wreath and crest removed from the sail panels, the trunk lock cover was the cloisonne' similar to the STS and ETC's but with different base.  The STS ETC style aluminum wheels are 16 x 6 vs the sts etc 16x7.  The carpet was upgraded, real wood trim, could have been all leather seats vs. leather and vinyl.   Exterior colors were white, black, dark blue, crimson red, dark gray.  Those great break away side view mirrors were heated.
Tom CLC#6866

Big Apple Caddy

franbev

Actually it's a 1991. VIN indicates that it's a real Touring Sedan (thanks 936CD53).
Fran

Davidinhartford

franbev

Cool! same color as my car too.
Fran

waterzap

Nice looking car. This late 80's, early 90s FWD platform does have a very nice ride. Also nice big greenhouse.
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

Appears similar to the later concours option?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

936CD69

Frank, I'm writing the CLC Authenticity Manual for these cars, any questions I'd be happy to help if I can. Very pretty car BTW
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

franbev

How many were made? What colors were available? I know that the tobacco brown interior was the only one available. I was actually looking for an Olds Touring Sedan from the same era when I found this one.
Fran

Series75

Quote from: Series75 on January 31, 2013, 08:24:17 PM
The 86 model was a 2 door, yes?  The later model had some cool styling features like using the 90-91 ETC style door handles  painted.  The wheel opening mouldings were body colored, the wreath and crest removed from the sail panels, the trunk lock cover was the cloisonne' similar to the STS and ETC's but with different base.  The STS ETC style aluminum wheels are 16 x 6 vs the sts etc 16x7.  The carpet was upgraded, real wood trim, could have been all leather seats vs. leather and vinyl.   Exterior colors were white, black, dark blue, crimson red, dark gray.  Those great break away side view mirrors were heated.
Tom CLC#6866

Also the interior color is referred to as BEECHWOOD.   Nice car Frank
Tom CLC#6866