News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New member/1947 Series 61 sedan questions

Started by PRattenbury, February 02, 2013, 01:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRattenbury

Hello, all. I just signed up here. My brother and I have a 1947  Series 61 we're trying to bring back from the dead, and I have acouple questions about where to find a couple parts. I hope I can impose on your knowledge and patience for some help. This car has the original 346 flathead engine in it, and hydramatic transmission. The radiator definitely is plugged, which I will have a new core installed in. The thermostat is not installed. I know what the original thermostat looks like. I have no clue where to find a replacement for it. That would be my first plea for help. Does anyone know where I can get a thermostat? Also, the exhaust lead pipe is full of holes and needs to be replaced. The muffler and tail pipe seem to be in servicable condition. I am hoping someone here might know where I could find a new replacement pipe. I have found complete exhaust systems for $480. But I was hoping I could just find the pipe the car needs and not toss out the rest of the exhaust for no good reason. This car is not destined for car shows at least as long as I own it. I'm just trying to get it back to good working condition. I will certainly appreciate any information you can provide, especially about the thermostat. I'll certainly be spending hours on here learning all I can about this car. I'm glad to be aboard, and look forward to chatting with some of you in the future! Thanks!
P. Rattenbury

Alan Harris CLC#1513

The thermostats were the same from 1942 into the early sixties. Stant or NAPA still have them. Any GOOD parts store either has them or can look them up and get them.

Unless you drive in winter, use a lower temperature one. Good Luck and congratulations on your purchase!

Steve Passmore

These guys for all your exhaust supplies.

Waldron's Antique Exhaust Inc
Address: 208 W Main St, Centreville, MI 49032, United States
Phone:+1 269-467-718
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Richardonly

Hello P. Rattenbury,

Best of luck with your new (old, :) car.  I'm sure it will give you many hours of enjoyment and you shall meet some great people going to cruise nights.

When you have a chance, post a pic of your 47.  We would all love to see it.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

PRattenbury

Thanks for all the replies. I have seen listings for normal looking thermostats for these cars. But I have also seen pictures of a strange looking thermostat that installs intothe top tank of the radiator under the big cast fitting that mounts to it. So I am concerned that I would not be buying the correct part if it wasn't one of those wierd looking ones I saw pictures of. Any wisdom regarding which style thermostat is the right one is greatly appre,iatex. Thanks again for the info this far!

Richardonly

Mine is installed in the top of the radiator behind the cast piece the hoses go into.

It is an easy install, so give it a shot and the worst to happen is removal in another 5 minutes. (If there are two hoses to this piece, I can't thnk of another place it would go.)

I believe the themostate is a bit longer than newer types, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches, but would think that the diameter is more important.
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Richardonly

Repost your question under technical.  You may get more info.

Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Martin Michaels

Here's  few pictures of a original t.stat. Kanters and others have replacements of the new style. Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

C.R. Patton II

Hello P.R.

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you join our national club and a local region near your home to enjoy all the benefits of membership. Enjoy!
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.