News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help identify correct 86 Brougham taillamps

Started by 936CD69, February 06, 2013, 03:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

936CD69

I am trying to determine the correct part number for the taillamps on an 86 Brougham. All of the clear pictures I have seen show the gold outlines and the flat gold emblem with a non colored crest. The parts book adds a bit of confusion listing 84-86 1st design as 914945 (silver) and 84-86 2nd design as 914880 (gold). All I have seen on ebay either have different part numbers or show gold "colored" crests with a different part number, which I suspect was for the 89 w/B94 gold ornamentation option. One guy even has 2 NOS sets with the same part number, but one set is gold and one is silver! 80s Brougham gurus to the rescue PLEASE!

(are the parking lamps as difficult to decifer?)
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

All I can tell you Craig is that in '84, RWD Cadillacs got new "goldtone" ornamentation which included the taillamp escutcheons and outlining as well as the winged crests on front turn signal lenses. This style is identical to the chrome version of 82-83 except for the goldtone which is supposed to be correct from 84-86 as you noted. Note- it's "gold tone" not the 24K Gold Plated stuff used later which looks very different. The 84-86 finish actually looks more like bronze than gold. Beginning in 1987 the Brougham taillamp crests got filled in with the red/white/blue colors of the Cadillac crest and returned to chrome only, including the front "birds" on turn signal lenses. 1988 & 1989 were the same unless Gold Package was ordered.

Why the part number is the same of both versions (technically there were 4 from 1982-1989), is a mystery.

Hope this helps.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

936CD69

Thanks as usual Eric! I suspect the vendor is using the same box photo for 2 different listings. Neither are correct for an 84-86 as they have the colored in crest. Perhaps GM substituted the colored crest lamps when they ran out of the "goldtone" ones?

My parts book covers 84-92 D bodies and is dated May 92. Does anyone have an earlier edition to verify these part numbers for me please?
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302