Cadillac & LaSalle Club Discussion Forum

Cadillac & LaSalle Club Forums => Technical / Authenticity => Topic started by: Michael Petti on December 08, 2021, 03:46:32 PM

Title: 60 CDV Trim Color
Post by: Michael Petti on December 08, 2021, 03:46:32 PM
Can anyone tell me what color of red goes around the crest on the rear grill of a 60 CDV and where to get it or how to mix it, or what color they used. Also need to know what finish to use, Satin, semi-gloss or gloss. The red on the emblem on the dash is faded and what's left of it looks more like orange or light rose which I don't think is right.  I've attached a picture of what I have.  Thanks for the help in advance.
Title: Re: 60 CDV Trim Color
Post by: Moody on December 09, 2021, 10:53:33 PM
It’s red, I’ll try to dig out my one excellent emblem and see if that will help. It looks just like the Chevy emblem red I believe.
Title: Re: 60 CDV Trim Color
Post by: Michael Petti on December 10, 2021, 06:34:06 AM
Thankyou. If it's like the chevy, it's probably a bright red enamel. If you find yours, I'll be interest to see it and which surfaces do and don't get painted.
Mike Petti
Title: Re: 60 CDV Trim Color
Post by: fishnjim on December 10, 2021, 09:29:23 AM
If there's enough paint left on the dash, then the standard technique would be to take a small chip and turn it over and match the underside color.   
I'm not sure there was any paint back there from the picture, and interior and exterior badging may not match, that usually varies by model, so you must have seen one or have reason to suspect.  Ask a concours judge.
I've never seen that "bulk" paint listed by year just color.   They sometimes list the interior trim color formulae with the exterior color chart, never the badging as these are made by others to GM specs/for replacement in collision repairs.   
Somewhere there would be a drawing but as far as I know, sadly, GM does not divulge that other than by license, if available.   Other brands you can find drawings in libraries, museums etc.
If it was me and I've done this work before, since you don't need much, I'd just use plain old store bought red spray paint, like rustoleum, or lacquer.   You spray into a container to catch the paint, and apply with a whateverUgot; toothpick, small brush, or striping brush.   The solvent in the spray paint levles out and flashes off so it dries quickly.   For larger parts like a grill I've masked them and shot the rattlecan paint on.   You can get sign painters colors in pint cans at most places.   Don't overthink originality.