News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1973 Eldorado convertible ...
Last post by Big Fins - Yesterday at 08:28:32 AM
If I remember correctly, doesn't one of the diodes in the diode trio control the dash light?
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Cracked Kelsey Hayes turbi...
Last post by Gary Evans - Yesterday at 08:27:22 AM
Lexi, let me ponder a bit and see what is available, if anything. It appears through looking at other photos of the 57 rim that the tire attaches to the inner steel rim. Do you and everyone think it would be ok to drive on until another is purchased?
General Discussion / Re: Do not ever buy those repl...
Last post by Big Fins - Yesterday at 08:16:27 AM
Best to put the originals into a tumbler for a few days, then chase all the threads and bolt holes.

Stainless is too soft for many applications anyway.
General Discussion / Re: 1932 Cadillac V16 scale mo...
Last post by Big Fins - Yesterday at 08:06:38 AM
Roger, I always looked at this thread whenever I looked in on the board. Your attention to detail and craftsmanship never ceases to amaze me.

You create a work of art like this and I can barely draw stick figures.

Beautiful to say the least!  8)
General Discussion / Re: Photos of a Day in the Lif...
Last post by Carfreak - Yesterday at 07:43:15 AM
Quote from: Bill MarriottJ. Edgar & Me  Posted Posted December 11, 2011

Donna and I attended the J. Edgar movie on opening day.  We both thought the movie was very well done.

I was born in Washington in 1932 and lived here all my life except for four years in college at the University of Utah and two years in the U.S. Navy.  I grew up hearing about J. Edgar Hoover and the G. Men.

In 1939, my dad bought his first Cadillac and as a little boy I would travel with him to the Cadillac dealer to have his car serviced.  I remember seeing Hoover's limousine in the garage.  While I looked inside, I saw machine guns fastened to the back of the front seat – very cool view for a six-year-old.

Dad knew Hoover somewhat, but was a good friend of Sam Cowley with whom we attended church.  Sam was the FBI agent who was killed in a shoot-out with Baby Face Nelsen, a notorious gangster in the 30's.  Cowley was able to kill Baby Face in the shoot out.  When my dad passed away, there was a letter in his old file from Hoover, who wrote my dad that Sam Cowley was the bravest man he ever met.

Hoover and our family shared the same doctor and I was able to meet him one day in the doctor's office.  I was in my 30's and J. Edgar was very friendly and warm to this young man. When we assumed the management of the Mayflower hotel in Washington, the staff was anxious to show me the booth where J. Edgar Hoover had lunch every day when he was in town

Throughout my young life in Washington, J. Edgar Hoover was a powerful force.  Many Presidents came and went, but Hoover stayed on and seemed to be invincible and able to survive each and every new President.  He was quite a man.

I'm Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the move.

Technical / Authenticity / Re: Rear Brake drums
Last post by Mike Baillargeon #15848 - Yesterday at 07:37:21 AM
Here's my wheel puller.

Mike
For Sale - Cars / Re: 1980 deville D’Elegance, ...
Last post by James Landi - Yesterday at 06:32:48 AM
I suspect the 3,200 on the windshield is the "ask."  Likely a good candidate for a make-over, being that it has a durable engine. 
General Discussion / Re: 1932 Cadillac V16 scale mo...
Last post by Roger Zimmermann - Yesterday at 06:16:18 AM
To continue with the hood, two elements are missing: the firewall and the radiator surround. Obviously, the first element which will lead the body construction is the firewall. On this car, it was mainly made with steel and some metallic structure. As a convertible, the firewall/cowl must be as rigid as possible; the outer panels will contribute to that goal.
On the short brass sill, there is a "pocket"; the sill will be made with wood and will start into that pocket till the end of the car. I will use soft wood as on the model as the sill will have almost no real function.

621 Firewall.jpg
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Rear Brake drums
Last post by Roger Zimmermann - Yesterday at 03:18:27 AM
Drum and hub are one piece, unfortunately for you. The change came for the 1949 model.
General Discussion / Re: Todays fun Caddy snapshots...
Last post by Roger Zimmermann - Yesterday at 03:10:07 AM
Quote from: Lexi on April 21, 2024, 12:03:03 PMAt first glance that trim appears to be on top, but on closer examination it looks to be glare, just below the top of the lens. So the top area appears void of that chrome trim. Just non-image forming glare slightly below that area. So this tailight appears to be a '54 or a '55, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.
You are right, there is no chrome trim on top of the lens...Ah! reflexions can fool people!