News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 62 Series Brake Booster Lubrication

Started by DaveW, August 29, 2007, 09:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveW

I recently purchased a rebuilt brake booster for my 1957 62 Series car.  This unit mounts on the dash and is sometimes referred to as the Hydro Boost unit.  There is a threaded plug on the back of the unit that the shop manual refers to as a lubrication plug.  I can find no reference in the manual describing the type or amount of lubricant to add to the unit at this location.  Would I simply use brake fluid?  If so, how much?  Fill to the bottom of the threaded hole?  Can anyone provide the correct information?
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: DaveW on August 29, 2007, 09:01:15 AM
I recently purchased a rebuilt brake booster for my 1957 62 Series car.  This unit mounts on the dash and is sometimes referred to as the Hydro Boost unit.  There is a threaded plug on the back of the unit that the shop manual refers to as a lubrication plug.  I can find no reference in the manual describing the type or amount of lubricant to add to the unit at this location.  Would I simply use brake fluid?  If so, how much?  Fill to the bottom of the threaded hole?  Can anyone provide the correct information?

DAve:

Not 100% sure about you '57 -- but the older units (Bendix Hydrovac, etc.) had
leather parts in the works that required a special oil to keep them supple.  The
replacement is "neatsfoot oil" which is a leather preservation compound that keeps
the pieces supple and pliaible for use.  You can purchase this at any hardware
store.  Don't use brake fluid.

Check your shop manual.  Mine states that the pipe plug on the unit was to be
removed and every 2,000 miles checked and fluid added to bring it up to the
level of the plug.  The fluid specified was "Delco Hydraulic Shock Fluid", which
is no longer available.

Mike 
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

DaveW

Thanks to Mike and others who have replied with help.  It is much appreciated.  Seems to be unanimous that I should not use brake fluid.  Sound like I can use either a little Dextron 2 ATF, Dextron 3 ATF, shock absorber fluid, or neatsfoot oil.  I will probably go with the neatsfoot oil as the safest bet. The help is much appreciated.

Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham