News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Westley's White wall cleaner

Started by robert p millian, August 22, 2007, 10:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: David #19063 on August 30, 2007, 06:50:07 PM
For years and years, I use a brass brush and spray on Chlorox Clean-up.  Works great.

But all of my cars have blackwall tires now and that is even better (and easier).

Dear Robert:

The reason why this is working for you is that the major ingerdient in Clorox "Clean-Up"
is sodium hydroxide (also known as lye) which is a very strong cleaning agent.  I
personally would not use this (it's the major ingredient in oven cleaners).

It contains just 2% of bleach (sodium hypoclloride) for disinfecting purposes so that
Clorox Inc. can make that claim that it "kills germs".  Germs on your whitewalls are
normally not a problem !!!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

David #19063

Hi Mike,

LOL!  Now I know why my white wall tires never make me sick...no germs.

You're right, it probably is not a good idea...but it does work wonders on old disclored WW's.

David

David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

By the way to you all -- went  down to my local discount auto store today
and he still has plenty of Westley's in stock.  I bought two gallons --which
should last me for the next 20 years or more -- far beyond when I'll need it.
I paid about $10 per gallon.

So -- message is -- buy it now if you want /need it !!  It doesn't go bad.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Mike Josephic on September 03, 2007, 12:12:04 AM
By the way to you all -- went  down to my local discount auto store today
and he still has plenty of Westley's in stock.  I bought two gallons --which
should last me for the next 20 years or more -- far beyond when I'll need it.
I paid about $10 per gallon.

So -- message is -- buy it now if you want /need it !!  It doesn't go bad.

Mike

You should have bought it all.  It would be just like buying "Westley's" futures.  Who knows in less then 5 years with Westley's in limited supply, you could easily double your money.  If whitewalls become popular again, you could easily triple or even quadruple your initial investment.

Derek J. Sherwood

I tried buying whitewalls for my '98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible.  Size was P255-65-R16.  

Could not find any anywhere in that size, even by special order.

Sucks, that car would have looked nice with whitewalls.

Derek

76eldo

I have been playing with cars for 35 years, and nothing ever worked better than Wesley's.  This is sad news.  I will be stocking up on it, and if this is a rumor to boost sales, so be it.

I need my Wesley's!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

EAM CLC17806

FRIENDS!  Why is it that after I clean my whitewalls with Westley's cleaner,SOS pads and/or 409 cleaner the whitewalls gain a light yellowish tint to them after a few days? This has happened with my Firestone and Dimension tires too. Any thoughts?

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: EAM CLC17806 on October 04, 2007, 07:41:14 PM
FRIENDS!  Why is it that after I clean my whitewalls with Westley's cleaner,SOS pads and/or 409 cleaner the whitewalls gain a light yellowish tint to them after a few days? This has happened with my Firestone and Dimension tires too. Any thoughts?

Response:

It's because the background (base) rubber migrates up through the white-wall and
gives it that "yellow" or "brownish" appearance.  See my earlier post about this in this
this same group of posts.

Better whitewalls have a "barrier" sandwiched in between the black background and the
white outer white-wall to help prevent his. This isn't a new problem.

BTY, you don't say how old your tires are -- the older they are, especially after 10+
years the worse this problem gets.  Not much you can do at that point except keep
cleaning them -- no permanent cure is available.  Tires, especially if you drive your cars
at highway speeds, should be replaced after 6+ years (10 max) anyway -- they aren't safe
to drive after that unless you have a trailer queen that goes just 100 miles per year
if that.  After 6 years or so, the rubber compounds degrade to the point that their
resistance to heat is about gone -- so accidents (blow outs, tread separations, etc)
become very likely.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

Andrew Zizolfo CLC#5011

Try Westley's on rubber floor mats! They come out like brand new!
Andy

ljohnson

This is late, but I just had to add my two cents worth here.  I have five cars and will not drive or own a car without White Wall Tires - and yes, they are still available sometimes at a high price. But no matter what they cost, A Cadillac does not look right without them.  As for Wesley's cleaner, I have been using it for about thirty years and it is a must in my garage.  I remember the days of some kind of cleaner that looked like a bowl of jelly and I used a brass brush with it - back in 1954.