News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Location of '39 LaSalle VIN/Serial #??? (PICS)

Started by Aeroman (Juan Ramirez), September 22, 2007, 03:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Hi, can someone describe to me where the VIN/Serial number is on the engine block of my '39 LaSalle Opera Coupe?  Thanks.

1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

harvey b

if you look at the bellhousing where it meets the block,just below the plug wire loom on the drivers side,there should be some numbers stamped in there.you will have to take a wire brush and clean it off to see them ,they are not that deep,they are not raised.they should show up fairly easy,the numbers will be on the engine,not the bellhousing.they are actually in a pretty good spot to see when cleaned off right.post the numbers you find and some one here will tell you exactly what you have.  harvey bowness
Harvey Bowness

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Quote from: harvey b on September 22, 2007, 08:55:52 PM
if you look at the bellhousing where it meets the block,just below the plug wire loom on the drivers side,there should be some numbers stamped in there.you will have to take a wire brush and clean it off to see them ,they are not that deep,they are not raised.they should show up fairly easy,the numbers will be on the engine,not the bellhousing.they are actually in a pretty good spot to see when cleaned off right.post the numbers you find and some one here will tell you exactly what you have.  harvey bowness
Excellent, thank you!
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

thanks, found them!  And they're matching numbers!!!

1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

Fred Zwicker #23106

???  Juan - Did you get  your car started yet?  Mine sat for 8 months during restoration.  After having a complete engine rebuild by Shepard's in Akron, it started yesterday within 3 seconds on only one of the two Optima red top batteries (didn't have time to connect both as yet).  I installed an auxiliary 6-volt fuel pump to get the fuel up from the tank and through the new fuel lines.  It filled up the lines and started almost immediately.  If you have a good battery, heavy cables, good connections, fuel and spark it should start, but after sitting for a long time, it might not be easy.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Hi Fred, no,  I havent started up the engine yet.  I ordered the cables from JC Whitney, the same ones you suggested.  They haven't arrived yet.  As far as fuel, I want to get a 6V electric fuel pump to run fuel from the gas tank up to the carb to get it to fire up and drive it around the neighborhood (this will be temporary until I rebuild the original mechanical fuel pump and the motor).  Any suggestion on an electric 6V fuel pump and where?  I am going to get the gas tank cleaned at a radiator shop before putting fuel in it and running the car.  Thanks a bunch Fred for checking up on my progress!

By the way, any information you can gather from the VIN #?  2292192

Thanks,

Juan
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: Aeroman (Juan Ramirez) on October 26, 2007, 11:18:04 PM

By the way, any information you can gather from the VIN #?  2292192

Hello Juan,  According to Page 308 of "LaSalle - Cadillac's Companion Car" the serial number sequence for a 1939 LaSalle was 2290001 through 2313002, so you can determine about when the car was built .  In 1939, 23,002 automobiles were produced and there were 3531 coupes produced (yours) and 1020 Convertible Coupes (mine). 

I bought my 6-volt electric fuel pump from Cooper's in Burbank, CA.  Cost was $60 in January of this year. They can be reached at 818-567-4140, or see their web site at www.coopersvintage.com   Best bet is to phone them to be sure they send you the correct pump.  My pump works off a dashboard switch and is only used as an auxiliary (my original fuel pump was rebuilt and works fine).  I like an electric fuel pump for faster starting after a car sits for awhile, but then turn it off and let the car run on the original fuel pump once car is started. (Fuel runs through the electric pump without a problem). 

Attached are 2 pictures of my car from last week, showing the installation of my Appleton Fog Lights and small Guide add-on front turn signal lights.

Fred

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Amazing work there Fred!  Wow!

I just got the heavier gauge battery cable in yesterday from JC Whitney.  I hope this week I get to swap the old ones with the new ones and see if I get better cranking.  I placed the battery tender plus onto the 2-6V Optima batteries.  It took about 24 hours for me to get the green light.  Being anxious, I sprayed some starter fluid down the carb and cranked it a bit.  No fire.  Does your engine crank like a modern car?  Or does it crank at a lower RPM with your dual 6V set-up?

I'll check into that fuel pump this week and get the gas tank removed to get it cleaned out.  Thanks.
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

Fred Zwicker #23106

With my 2 battery setup, my car cranks steadily, but not fast like a modern car.  It has plenty of cranking power and stamina, but since it always starts so quickly, am not sure that I even need the dual setup, unless when engine is hot when older flatheads can sometimes be hard starting.  In addition to the gas tank, what about the fuel lines?  We replaced all of our fuel (and brake) lines during our restoration.  While you have the gas tank off for cleaning, you may want to take an air blow gun and blow through the lines to see if they are open and what kind of gunk you can discover.

You may have other issues.  Did you check the spark as yet?  If no spark, car will not start.  You will want to check the spark plugs, plug wires, coil and coil wiring and points.  What about the carburetor?   I am really in hopes that you can get the car started somehow so that you can start to pinpoint whatever else is needed so that you can drive around the block.

Fred

harvey b

hello Juan,another thing you should do before you try and start it,is to remove the plugs and give each cylinder a shot of oil,Marvel Mystery Oil would work good for this.also when the plugs are out you can check for spark,wind it over with the oil in the cylinders and it will help to lubricate the walls and help compression too.i would drain the oil and put in new oil,i run 15w40 diesel oil in my 37 caddy,seems to work good.also you can run a line from a jerry can to your fuel pump,unscrew the rubber fuel line and get a fitting that you can run a hose to the jerry can with ,if you get fuel and spark it should start,do not use starting fluid under any circumstances,prime it with gasoline only,i use a "ketchup" style bottle to squirt it in with,you have to remove the breather of course.let us know how it works out? thanks Harvey
Harvey Bowness

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

You guys are the best.  So here it goes...got home yesterday after work and immediately changed the old cables with the new beefier JC Whitney ones.  I cleaned the surface up a bit on the frame to get a good ground.  Removed the spark plugs, squirted a bit of MM Oil.  The old cables were thinner, frayed, and sad looking.  Got everything buttoned up on the batteries, poured a bit of gasoline in the carb, jumped on the front seat, turned the key, pushed the starter button and vrrroooooooooooom!

My jaw dropped.  I couldn't believe the difference in cranking speed from what I had to what I have now!  And plus, the engine fired up!  It ran for only a few seconds but it was long enough for me to do cart wheels in the garage with all the exhaust smoke.  I did it a few more times, getting it to fire.

So now..........removing the gas tank to get it cleaned out.  My dad has a '40 LaSalle 4-door he isnt working on and has an electric 6V fuel pump that he'll let me borrow.  Thanks again guys and I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe