News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

speedometer lubrication procedure

Started by naifmakol, December 01, 2007, 09:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naifmakol

Can anyone explain the procedure for cleaning and lubricating a speedometer and attached cable from a 1958 cadillac 60 special with the entire instrument cluster out of the car and on a table. Also, what lubricants should I use and where. Thank you.
                                                                 Naif
Naif Makol

homeonprunehill

Quote from: naifmakol on December 01, 2007, 09:42:22 PM
Can anyone explain the procedure for cleaning and lubricating a speedometer and attached cable from a 1958 cadillac 60 special with the entire instrument cluster out of the car and on a table. Also, what lubricants should I use and where. Thank you.
                                                                 Naif

NAIF , most auto parts store will have the proper lube for the speedometer.  To clean the speedo cable is simple, just use a rag to remove the old grease as you remove the cable. now to clean the cable-housing-that is a diffence story. Attach a mono-fil fishing line to the transmission end befor removing the spedo cable. (two half-hitches and a tangle should work) when you pull the cable thru, you will then tie the mono line to a Q-TIP (or something similar) and pull the cleaning swabs thru untill the swabs are as clean as you would like them to be.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Mark

Be careful not to gob too much speedo cable lube in the casing that it works its way up into the speedo head.

If you lubricate the speedo head at all, you should use a light oil such as "clock" or "watch" oil, sparingly. 

Good time to repaint the needle when you have the unit out - pretty simple to do. 

And no fingerprints on the faceplate!

walt chomosh #23510

Naif,
  I've spent my lifetime lubing my cables by removing the core,wiping it with grease,then sprinkling it with powered"graphite".(available at any auto supply) Last fall,I replaced the core and outer housing due to speedometer needle dancing during cold weather.(the cable was in stock(cheap)at my neighborhood O'Reillys)Well,the new one also was dancing,so next I sprayed NAPA's"Dry Graphite Film Lubricant" into the housing(with core installed)by simply disconnecting the cable at the speedometer. Presto! Speedo no longer dancing!....walt

Kerry

Hi, I used a fairly large size open tub and soaked both the cable and the housing in alcohol for a few days and then dryed them out with compressed air. I wiped all parts clean with lint free rags and used dry graphite lube on the cable and squirted some down each end of the housing. I laid everything out straight and moved the cable in and out of the housing adding more graphite as needed until the cable slipped in and out easily from the housing. I cleaned up everything and then put back together. It all works great.  good Luck, Kerry

STDog

Quote from: Mark on December 03, 2007, 02:48:43 PM
If you lubricate the speedo head at all, you should use a light oil such as "clock" or "watch" oil, sparingly. 

Granted the 58 could be different, but the '69 speedo I took apart had grease in the head.
It was old an dried out, but definitely a grease.

This was on the gears where the cable enters the head and splits to the speed mete and the odometer.
They are plastic gears on the '69, but need more that clock oil.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: naifmakol on December 01, 2007, 09:42:22 PM
                                                                 Naif

04-26-08
Naif, you may want to tgrey some "white-grease" on the gears. Car makers use it on hood latches and door latches also.  Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES