News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LOOSE-KING-PINS

Started by homeonprunehill, December 10, 2007, 02:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeonprunehill

12-09-07
BRUCE R.  You seemed as tho. like myself you attended and graduated from the school of HK!
Also, I feel that you have been employed at a "shade-tree" garage, Right?
Now the question, how do you make a temporary repair to a "king-pin" equiped car that has worn king pin hole ,(for example, if you grap the tire at the bottom and top and check for looseness and there is looseness ) later determinded to be worn"king-pins"and/or king-pin holes, just what do you do to tighten the king-pin untill you can find a reliable machine-shop to make a bushing and install it?
GoodLuck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

The Tassie Devil(le)

Geez Jim, you throw a difficult one.

As far as I know, there isn't much you can do without replacing the parts as a kit, as what ever you are going to do to try and take up the slop, you are going to have to remove the pin to do anything about trying to stick some shim material in the bushes to take up the slack.

If the pin isn't worn out, which is going to be highly unlikely that it will be in good condition, you can simply press in a couple of "not worn as bad" bushes, and hoper for the best when you replace the pin.

But, going to all that effort, you may as well do the job properly, as it will take just about as long, and you will only have to do the Wheel Alignment once.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but without actually seeing where the wear is, and if you can jamb some pieces of shim in the "gaps", it is hard to say what is best.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

You shouldn't need to find a reliable machine shop to make new bushings for your king-pin suspension.  Rebuild kits are available from several sources such as Kanter.  And Bruce is right, by the time you spend the time and effort in what will most likely be an unsuccessful attempt to "band-aid" the problem, you might just as well do a proper rebuild and have it done with.     
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

harvey b

hello all,i had a similar problem on my 37 caddy 60 series,the steering knuckle was worn,the pin and the push in bushings were OK.i was readying the car for my daughters wedding in a couple of weeks,thought it was going to be a peice of cake,just push out the old bushings push in the new ones,ream them to fit the new pin,and away we go ???.the hole on the knuckle was worn a bit on one side,couldnt run to the wreckers for a new one?,so we made a shim to slide in the knuckle and take up the slack,dont laugh but we used a peice of a empty paint can,it was about the right thicknes,tricky to get in tight but it worked great,we tightned up the lock bolt extra tight,it got me out of a bind,car actually drives pretty good,am looking for a replacement knuckle this winter,found a NOS one on ebay,but was for wrong side.this remedy might work for you.  thanks Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Geoff Newcombe #4719 on December 10, 2007, 09:58:13 AM
You shouldn't need to find a reliable machine shop to make new bushings for your king-pin suspension.  Rebuild kits are available from several sources such as Kanter.  And Bruce is right, by the time you spend the time and effort in what will most likely be an unsuccessful attempt to "band-aid" the problem, you might just as well do a proper rebuild and have it done with.     

12-11-07
Geoff, I didn't tell the full story in my origional post, but, I think I should come clean and tell all. I had just installed a new king-pin kit and still had "play" in the RF wheel which was not the bearing. turns-out it was like the problem that Harvey B had,(Later post) It was the steering "knuckle" that had the "play" due to the king-pin hole being worn "EGG-SHAPED". With the king-pin in the knuckle, I took a center-punch and expanded the metal around the king-pin, best I remember I expanded the metal on the inside-top and outside bottom of the steering knuckle up by the king-pin hole. I had a "Ready-MIX" truck coming,and I had to get the wheel back-on before the "ready-mix" truck arried. Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha, the plot thickens, or loosens, whichever the case may be.

But, a Machine Shop can enlarge the hole and sleeve it back to where it should be, and then you can do some more concreting.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon