News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'64 Eldorado Article in Self-Starter

Started by Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397, February 13, 2008, 09:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Richard Stanley's well-written and interesting article on '64 Eldorados in the Feb. Self-Starter raised two questions:
1.  He says "I have seen only one A/C-equipped Cadillac that was not retrofitted with the "steamboat" master switch.  This switch superseded the yellow "time delay" switch.  My suspicion is that '64s were "campaigned" after delivery so that dealers could install the "steamboats", but I have never found any evidence of the above".  What is a "steamboat" master switch and why did it replace the yellow "time delay" switch?
2.  He states that "all '64 Eldorados (and 60 Specials) had the three-position rearview mirror with the medium, rose-tinted position".  How did this mirror work and under what lighting/driving conditions would you use the medium position?  I don't understand how a non-electrochromic mirror (and 1964 was decades before those were introduced) could have a "rose-tinted" position.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

One of the members of the club who is also a member of the Modified Chapter emailed me a link to the doc section of the chapter's website which was a service bulletin (stamped NOT TO BE DISTRIBUTED OUTSIDE THE GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION) which answered the Climate Control question.  It said that although the great majority of owners of Comfort Control-equipped '64 Cadillacs leave the system on all the time, some occasionally like to drive with the windows down and the system off during pleasant weather.  At high speeds or low speeds with a strong head wind, the ram effect on the air intake door would activate the time-delay switch and cause the CC to turn on even when in the "off" position.  The letter detailed replacing the time-delay switch with another type to eliminate this problem.  The modified chapter member asked me to mention that that document is one of approximately 5,000 pages they have put on their website for anyone to use. I am still curious about the three-position rearview mirror with the medium/rose-colored position.

Glen

It might help to understand how the day-night mirrors work.  A normal mirror has the silver on the backside of the glass.  But there is a weak refection from the front surface of the glass too.  Normal glass mirrors use normal flat glass, and unless you look at it at a steep angle you won’t notice the second image.  The standard day-night mirror is a wedge shaped glass.  When set in the day position the silvered back is aligned so that you see out the back window.  Flipping the lever to the night position aligns the front surface so you can see out the back.  In the dark the silvered back is facing the dark ceiling so no light reflects off the back. 

I had one of those three way mirrors I took off a junked Cadillac.  I believe it had two wedges of glass stacked.  These have reflections off the back, the front surface and the junction between the two wedges. 

The pink tint I have not figured out yet. 

Glen 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

jimgovoni clc 20546

The center or "pink" position is for rear sun glare reflection in traffic. It works very well.  Jim

BILL KAUFMAN CLC#15225

I might be wrong, that sometimes happens ,but wasn't the three way rear view mirror originally offered as an option in 1956 ?
Bill Kaufman # 15225   North Texas Region

1954 Series 62 Coupe
1969 Fleetwood Eldo
1970 Deville Ragtop
06' Harley  - (does that count?)
18 yr old cat and a fat German Sheperd with gas.

Remember, Those old Caddies and LaSalles where made to  BE DRIVEN !!

Greg McDonnell

Thanks for the great explanation Glen! I have the 3-way mirror.  It was on my '66 Eldorado (standard equipment on the Fleetwood Series cars).  The knob was (and still is) missing.  Does anyone know where I might find the correct knob?  I really do want to reinstall the 3-way mirror on my Eldorado.  It's in pristine condition, only lacking the knob!

Thanks!

Greg McDonnell
CLC# 20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Matt CLC# 18621

Was there a 1964 Eldorado Biarritz or just a 64 Fleetwood[/size] Eldorado?

Greg McDonnell

According to Roy Schneider's book, Cadillacs of the Sixties, 1964 saw the debut of the new name, 'Fleetwood Eldorado'.

1963 was the last time 'Eldorado Biarritz' would be used until 1977 when it was used once again but only to designate a trim package.  From '64 thru '85, Eldorados were known as Fleetwood Eldorados.  There were Biarritz models but as in '77, the word 'Biarritz' referred to a posh trim level.  The cars themselves were part of the Fleetwood designation.

HTH... 

Greg McDonnell
CLC#20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841