News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I GOT IT!!!!!!

Started by Andy, March 06, 2008, 10:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

After much evaluation, consternation, constipation and agitation, I GOT MY CAR!!!!!!! ;D

The '56 that I've been looking at here in Phoenix turned out to be the best deal of all.  I was able to track down the guy who did the mechanical work and he told me quite a story.  The 23,000 that shows on the odometer is actual and documented.  He also provided me with many photos of the mechanical work he did (which was done to a high standard).  He also confirmed that the radial tires on the car have less than 1,000 miles on them.  And best of all, he told me that when he sold the car, he tucked the original owner's manual, shop guide, engine badges and other documentation under the rear floor mat.  And sure enough - when I went to drive the car last night, all the docs were still there.  Plus I found the original front floor mats and the original gold license plate frame pushed up underneath the front seat!

I talked to the current owner who's selling the car about the price, which I told him was too high.  He said he was not coming down off his price, but he would throw in his full-time classic Cadillac mechanic to do any work I wanted done on the car as part of the deal.  So the speedo and dash lights are getting fixed at no add'l charge.  Plus the engine bay is going to be detailed, all fluids changed and I'm getting the brake pads replaced.

She won't win any trophies, but she's an honest 23,000 mile car with a proven ownership history, all documentation and an amazing ride.  I pick up the keys next week.

Andy.
If I can't eat it, scratch it, drive it or change its channel, then I'm not interested.

35-709

My congratulations also, Andy! 
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Andy,

Congratulations and enjoy your new baby. It sounds like you got a great car. If any old car buddies chide you for buying a Fleetwood instead of a red convertible tell them; “A convertible is for flash like Britney Spears or Paris Hilton. A Fleetwood is for class like Sophia Loren….”

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Jim Govoni

Congrats!  You will be so happy. She's a beautiful car. Good luck with her.  Jim

Andy

Now I just need to decide if I want to do the three day, 2000 mile drive back to Columbus.  I hate like hell spending $1500 to ship her.  But I've never driven that far by myself much less that far by myself in a 52 year old car.
If I can't eat it, scratch it, drive it or change its channel, then I'm not interested.

35-709

I'd be sore tempted to drive it, BUT, considering the cost of fuel, motels, meals, and a possible breakdown it might be cheaper and less stressful to ship it. 
When you get it home you can drive it around some, work the bugs out, start taking longer and longer trips with it.  As you said you will be driving a 52 year old car, get to know the car well!  Long distance trips in a car like this are not for someone who knows little about cars and is off on a lark.  Keep that Shop Manual handy!  Carry some spare parts like a fuel pump, fuel filter, points, cap, & rotor, fan belts, cooling system thermostat, oil filter, water pump, maybe spare heater and radiator hoses, sort of depends on how far you are going too.  Carry a tool kit, none of this stuff weighs much or takes up a lot of room, but much of it may not be immediately available in East Podunk, Anystate where you might need it.  You will not find knowledgeable '56 era Cadillac mechanics in every town either (take along your CLC membership book too), but if you have some spare parts and the shop manual you should be able to cover most of the normal everyday situations.  Have fun.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations Andy,

I wouldn't be tempted to drive it home.

I wouldn't even contemplate having it shipped home.

Heck, I would be on the first available plane, with a one-way ticket, and a mate, and enjoy the cruise driving it back home.

From all the reports from the seller, it seems like you would be happy, running it in and taking your time, enjoying the scenery on the way.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I will be doing the same thing shortly, picking up my '72 Eldo Convertible, and driving it to Cherry Hill, and then after touring the North-East, heading across to the West Coast and then shipping it home.   Cars and Water don't go too well.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Fotakis #23436

Having great respect for Ralph Messina'a opinions I feel both Andy and Bruce should heed his advice. Andy should ask Sophia to accompany him on the great 2000 mile journey back home while you Bruce, having a flashy covertible, must put up with the feisty Paris Hilton for a few days. I promise not to tell !!!   John

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: John Fotakis #23436 on March 06, 2008, 08:04:51 PM
Having great respect for Ralph Messina'a opinions I feel both Andy and Bruce should heed his advice. Andy should ask Sophia to accompany him on the great 2000 mile journey back home while you Bruce, having a flashy covertible, must put up with the feisty Paris Hilton for a few days. I promise not to tell !!!   John
John,

Bronwyn and I will be cruising in the Eldo, with the top up for 99% of the trip, and with the AC on for 99% of the trip.

Nothing worse than Windburn, and Sunburn at the same time, and with my lack of hair, both would be a problem.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

David #19063

That's a sweet looking ride Andy!

Enjoy!

There are pros and cons to driving it home. 

However, the guys that drove my '55 Chevy 210 2D Sedan over 1000 miles home from my house to Winnipeg loved their drive.  And the guy that drove '56 Chrysler Windsor HP home almost 600 miles to eastern Tennessee enjoyed his drive too.

If you do, be prepared and bring everything you might need.

However 2000 miles is a long drive on a car that has not been driven much recently.  I had driven all the bugs out of my '55 Chevy and the '56 Windsor by the time I sold them. 
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

homeonprunehill

03-06-08
ANDY, Get yourself a cell phone, maybe a GPS, A new matching spare tire and hit the road for OHIO! Just be sure to check all fluid levels at each gas stop until you get to know the car. You will find that the Truck-STOPS have the leight expenise gasoline and not a bad place to eat. You may want to drive around phoenix and add a few miles with the idea being that if something does go wrong, the machnic will  not be too far away. I have to ask, what part of Phoenix did you buy the car ?  If you have time go to the "old car show at the McDONALD's parking lot on the west side of loop101 on INDIAN BEND ROAD. I understand the owner  of McDONALD's has an old Cadillac, I known for sure that he has an old fat tire bicycle. (It's in the restaurant)  Good Luck,JIM
P.S. I doubt very much that I will be at  the "car-show" as i've been several times.some times the rice-burners show-up and spoil it for the old car nut.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Andy

Jim - I bought the car from a collector in Scottsdale.

In terms of the drive back to Columbus, there is a new wrinkle that I hadn't even thought about.  Given the nearly 2000 miles to be covered, it would take at least three days if I drove straight through, didn't stop at any sites and really got on the gas.  To make the drive a memorable trip on sections of Route 66 and stopping now and then to see the country, it would take about five days.  And the bottom line is I don't have the time to do it right now.  I guess she'll get shipped back to Columbus.  But I do see a lovely ride in the fall down the Blue Ridge Parkway into the Great Smokey Mountains in my not-to-distant future  ;D.  Anybody want to come along?

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Andy,

One thing I forgot to mention is to take with you as many tools as you can.

Sure as eggs are oval, if you don't take tools, you will break down, but if you go prepared for a major, serious breakdown, and take enough tools to do anything on the car, it will just breeze through those miles beautifully.

But, yes, the time to travel such a distance has to be taken into account, so sometimes freighting is a good idea.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Andy, congratulation for that buy.
As many wrote here, to drive 2000 miles the first time is risky. This car has a low mileage; probably done with short travels. Not all elements can be taken in account, even with a complete checking before that long travel.

By the way, is the paint code 52 Chantilly Maroon?

Roger
Switzerland
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

All I can say is...."You Dog!" What a beautiful car.

Ship it home enclosed. $1500 is cheaper than the rest of the expenses and time consumed.

Enjoy your upcoming ride through the mountains.

Fins

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Great car Andy, I'd ship her, but as soon as you get her home, take a drive with your better half to a nice local restaurant and bask in the admiring comments.   :-)

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Andy

uuuuhhhhhhh..... Dave...   :-\

The Fleetwood IS my better half.  I just got divorced. 

The way I see it, I got a divorce and a '56 Fleetwood in the same month.  That makes this a good month.   ;) :D

And Roger - yes, the body color is 52 Chantilly Maroon.

Andy

So I finally find the Cadillac I've been looking for - Excellent... 

I work out a great deal with the seller - Beautiful...

I make the tough decision the have it shipped back to Columbus figuring it'll get here that much sooner than if I drove it back and I can enjoy it here in my home town - Smart...

And then we get the heaviest snowfall we've had in 95 years and I'm reminded that Winter ain't goin' nowhere - CRAP!

With 20 inches of snow on the ground, it looks like my Fleetwood is going to be in Phoenix just a little bit longer.   :'(

Fred Zwicker #23106

???  What if you decided to drive it home and were arriving about now?  (I am from NE Ohio and the snow and ice are unbelievable).

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Andy

No kidding Fred!  I'm in Columbus and we've got 20".  And, unfortunately, my particular series 60 didn't come with air conditioning or the factory all-wheel drive option.