News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 Cadillac

Started by Frank Noti, February 10, 2009, 01:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Noti

First off i have to say how happy I am to have found this site.  I use to go on the Cadillac Forum a great deal when I bought my 2002 DTS and now I think this will be a great resource as I consider buying a 58.  I have been wanting a classic for a long time and have had a few choices but I seem to keep going back to the 1958.  I love Cadillacs and I really love the way these look.  I am currently considering two, one  is located in FL, the other is located in the mid-west.  Both cars are "unmolested" and in my price range.  I spoke with the mid-west one and the dealer selling it knew a lot about the car and gave me what I felt was an honest view of it.  I am calling the FL one tonight.  ok so I'll try to get to my point lol  both cars seem to be in great shape from the photos.  I like the color of the FL car more but the IL mid-west car would be easier for me to get to.  My question is - How are the 58's is there anything I should look for or keep in the back of my mind when it comes to any repairs.  This will be my first classic purchase and as you might guess I am a little nervous about jumping into it.  Any advice would be great!

jim t

02-10-09
Frank N. I have always liked the 1958 of  any body style CDV.or.SDV makes no difference, and any color will do. I don't know about you, but,once behind the wheel I don't notice the color. Not only that, Have "MACCO" shot it with the color you like, just wait untill they have their sale. Sand it down, remove the trim  HTH Good Luck,jim

TonyZappone #2624

I have owned many antique and Classic cars over the last 45 years.  I have three Cadillacs and two other Classics of the thirties.  My 58 Cad. Convertible by far is my favorite.  It literally floats down the road, with the greatest ride and performance.  I could no think of a finer car to own than a 58.  As far as having it repainted by a Maco or any other $100 or $200 shop, I would burn my car first.  Tony Z.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Frank Noti

wm link

I have had a few '58's...they too are a favorite of mine and a bit rare due to the very poor economy in 1958. It seems the '58s tend to have the lower "A" frame tear away from the cross member where they mount. Look very close at the lower "A" frame mountings for metal fatigue . I suspect that the cause of this is driving the car with worn lower ball joints or  maybe improper sized tires (L-78 x 15 rather than 820 x 15)???

Doug 22747

it may be too late, but on these cars I look very closely at the floor above the front mufflers, I've commonly see rot there.  most were heavily undercoated and perhaps the moisture got trapped there or something.  I have always been partial to this year model as well, and my Dad, who owned an Esso station in the 50s, said he saw a few 58s with carb problems.  that would have been early on in production, perhaps they worked it out.  good luck Doug
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

BJM

Frank,

It's tough to base a buying decision on forum input. As far as carb problems and other issues, these would not bother me too much. Why? Because these were issues whent he cars were new, but even if there were failures back in the normal life cycle of these cars, those issues are probably not present on the two cars you are considering.

These were "kind of" complicated cars from an electronics standpoint so I would be more interested in - does every electrical device function. If you buy a car with all the power accessories working, and something fails, it's easy to track down and pinpoint. If you buy a car where the power seat doesn't work, one window doesn't go down, the lights dim at certain times, - you know what I mean - then I tend to believe the electrical system is weak and I would want a full replacement of the wiring harnesses, cleaning of the motors, etc - a daunting but doable task.

I would expand my search. All dealers charge a premium for their cars.  How about a Wanted to Buy post on this forum? Or an ad in the Self Starter?   I happen to like the Porsche 928 built from 1978 to 1995.  These are common as VW bugs on evil-bay. But I would much rather buy one from a Porsche club owner because of the passion they display for the cars, which would be backed by maintenance and care.

Same goes for a 58 Cadillac. I'm not saying there might not be a nice one on ebay, but it's safer to buy from a club member, generally. Contact the club's technical advisor and ask, politely - does he know of any 58's that are for sale he might recommend. (You might need him in the future!)

Just some thoughts on the subject.