News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 Le Mans Concept A Recreation in Tribute to Harley Earl

Started by Jack Frank, April 20, 2007, 03:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Thompson

1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Jack Frank

Quote from: Jim Thompson on May 08, 2008, 06:15:49 PM
What model Jeep is that you are sitting in?

Hello Jim
The Jeep is an all original 1965 U.S. Navy.........

Charles D. Barnette

Dear Mr. Frank, where are the pictures you promised of the latest developments in the LeMans project? I am so excited about it that I can't sleep. Please update us as soon as possible. Thanks, Charles D. Barnette

Jack Frank

Hello Charles
Sorry for taking so long to get back here and for your lose of sleep and to every one. I have had a crazy last two months here at my Sheet Metal shop trying to get every one's cars done I just have to much work, its a good thing because it helps finance the Le Mans, but now Im back on it this week and getting more done on the rear area of it, I will have some more photos soon for you.

Here is some thing that I just started on monday the 4th..... its the 1/3 scale LeMans your seeing it in it vary ruff stage.... it will be 65 inches long and a piece of art, that will look just like the original light blue one's here the start photo if it and should be a photo each week of it, I want to get it done in two months and then sell it to help with Raven #2............. Jack

Jack Frank

Here is a side rear shot of the 1/3 scale Le Mans, doing the blocking and sanding on the hard foam then will start skim coating it next week.

tozerco

Jack,

I'm intrigued! What is the foam and what do you "skim coat" it with that doesn't attack the foam?

Regards,

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Jack Frank

Hello John

The Styrofoam that I use is a flora craft white hard crunchy foam made of polyester "styrene" and it sands like vary soft balsa wood and it is compatible with polyester bondo and primers it doesn't melt,it is just like the A-B foam that you mix and pour but you can get it in 2"x 12"x36" sheets at any Kraft store " not the green but use the white" and its not the soft kind of styro that is used in packing and cups.    Jack

Jack Frank

Just an update to let you know Im still working on the Le Mans, its going slow because of my other sheet metal work in my shop at Jack Rods, Sad to say after 5 years I'm closing my shop here in Southern California, in 3 months and moving to Olympia Washington, I will continue to work on the Le Mans there....... Im ready to leave tomarrow for DC for the car show at Capitol Cadillac. will see you there ............. Jack

Otto Skorzeny

Are you leaving for the same reasons that thousands of others are leaving and have left California?  i.e. Oppressive taxes and regulations? Will you be re-opening your shop in Washington?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jack Frank

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on October 24, 2008, 08:21:56 AM
Are you leaving for the same reasons that thousands of others are leaving and have left California?  i.e. Oppressive taxes and regulations? Will you be re-opening your shop in Washington?

Yes that is most of the reason, It really seams that Regulations have regulations on them and between Air control, Code inforcment, Fire safty, Insurance, Taxes then the BO tax then the one that gets me is the Use tax on your own stuff that you have had for years and allready paid tax on it, just because you use it in the shop, its crazy...... and why is fuel .50 cents more per gallon in Ca than other states.
     I allready have a larger shop in Olympia Washington, its twice as big and 3 times cheaper, My License and all the paper work is done I will be up and running same day......... I just need to move all the tools up there, I make floor pans and sheat metal parts for cars that are not avalible and install it to factory, Im old school with the English Wheel, bead rollers and the press molding. I just enjoy making things, and seeing people happy........... Jack

batterseaboys

Well if you pull the lemans build off your gonna certainly have many many happy Cadillac folk..............
Milton Homan

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jim Thompson

Quote from: Jack Frank on October 27, 2008, 12:50:06 PM
     Yes that is most of the reason, It really seams that Regulations have regulations on them and between Air control, Code inforcment, Fire safty, Insurance, Taxes then the BO tax then the one that gets me is the Use tax on your own stuff that you have had for years and allready paid tax on it, just because you use it in the shop, its crazy...... and why is fuel .50 cents more per gallon in Ca than other states.
     I allready have a larger shop in Olympia Washington, its twice as big and 3 times cheaper, My License and all the paper work is done I will be up and running same day......... I just need to move all the tools up there, I make floor pans and sheat metal parts for cars that are not avalible and install it to factory, Im old school with the English Wheel, bead rollers and the press molding. I just enjoy making things, and seeing people happy........... Jack

A very wise decision. Looking forward to more pics in the future.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Jack Frank

How are all of you doing sorry its taking so long, I can't belive that 7 months has went by so fast, I just started working on the Le Mans " RAVEN" again so as soon as I have made some progress I will post some pics in the next few months, So just a note as to why its taking a long time.  I'm one of theose people that if I can't do it right and perfict the first time, I will wait till I can or have the right parts, Ive had a few people here that see the car all the time and say "aw just do this or do that" "get it done",  but under it all that would not be right, I just want a perfict car, not one that is thrown together with everything and the kitchen sink  : )  money would help too.............. Have a great Day....... Jack

Charles D. Barnette

Dear Mr. Frank, it is great to hear from you again and to hear that  Raven II is still an ongoing project to replicate LeMans number 2 (serial number 03). I have not heard from you since I saw you in Maryland last October when we had a wonderful chance to see LeMans numbers 3 and 4 sitting side by side in Capitol Cadillac's showroom. Now I want to bring to your attention and that of the club as a whole a new picture found on the net regarding LeMans number one (serial number 02). If you will remember this is the 1953 LeMans that was the Motorama car, underwent a Barris modification, and then in 1986 was totally destroyed by fire. Jim Jordan found the picture and David Temple found the site. Please look at the picture of it at a car show in color showing the Barris modifications to be found in the middle of the page of pictures at http://gt350lady.com/Hollywood-Park-Show.html. Charles D. Barnette

okccadman

Also on that page is a very interesting combination of a 1954 Eldoradoand a 1954 Oldsmobile.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Charles, THANKS for posting that. Also thanks to Jim & David for their efforts. Some of the cars were brand new or 1 year old. Can't believe people were "customizing" them already. Can someone dial in my time machine, I wanna  attend that show.  LOL   Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: okccadman on June 30, 2009, 02:03:47 PM
Also on that page is a very interesting combination of a 1954 Eldoradoand a 1954 Oldsmobile.
The sad part is when that car went "out of fashion", it probably got junked. I feel that most all the cars pictured probably got junked. Nobody wants yesterdays newspaper or an old custom.  Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Charles D. Barnette

It has just been brought to my attention that the 1953 Cadillac LeMans #3 Show Car will appear as a special exhibit display at the AACA Fund Raiser Gala at the AACA Museum on the night of Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2009,  in Hershey, Pennsylvania. For more info click on nightatthemuseum.org. Charles D. Barnette

Vince Taliano #13852

Quote from: Charles D. Barnette on July 07, 2009, 10:43:56 PM
It has just been brought to my attention that the 1953 Cadillac LeMans #3 Show Car will appear as a special exhibit display at the AACA Fund Raiser Gala at the AACA Museum on the night of Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2009,  in Hershey, Pennsylvania. For more info click on nightatthemuseum.org. Charles D. Barnette

Join the Antique Automobile Club of America family for an unforgettable Night at The Museum
Presented by RM Auctions

Enjoy an unforgettable evening of fundraising and all things automotive as we revisit the past with the Antique Auto Museum’s stunning collections and present an exclusive charity auction. With a diverse range of exciting lifestyle gifts, pedal cars and experiences set to cross the block, there’s something guaranteed to appeal to all automotive tastes!

This year’s special exhibits will feature The Sports Car in America featuring both domestic and foreign two-seaters and Fast From the Past: Competition Motorcycles from Yesteryear with 40 remarkable bikes. We are also privileged to have the legendary 1953 Cadillac LeMans on loan from a private collector during this year’s event.

All proceeds will benefit the Antique Automobile Club of America Family.

Tickets are $150.00 each and will include access to the entire Museum, a guest speaker and renowned automotive author, David E. Davis, Jr., a live auction of exclusive automotive and lifestyle experiences, a variety of silent auction items, along with a diverse range of food and beverage options. Be sure to check back often for an updated listing of auction items.

Reserve Tickets Now
Tickets are $150 per person. The portion of your contribution in excess of $70.00 per person is tax deductable. Capacity is limited, and all seating is reserved with tables of ten guests, so please RSVP no later than September 5, 2009.

Order tickets online at http://www.nightatthemuseum.org/ordertickets.aspx
Order tickets by phone: contact Amanda Eshenour at 717-566-7100 ext. 101.
Inquire by email at aeshenour@aacamuseum.org
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)