News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restoring a 64 Eldorado and need advice.

Started by tom eisner CLC 18396, August 06, 2009, 05:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom eisner CLC 18396

I've recently aquired a 64 Eldorado and is a "driver". The body and frame are solid and rust free. It does need a complete cosmetic restoration. I'd like to drive it and restore it in stages, finances permitting. Where should I start? I appreciate the advice from those of you who have been there. 
1964 Eldorado
1966 Fleetwood Brougham
1968 Eldorado
1978 Eldorado Custom Biarritz
1985 Seville
1993 Allante
2007 XLR
It's a sickness

Bill Gauch #23121

If it is truly rust-free, I would be inclined to just polish it up and enjoy it, making sure it is mechanically sound. I and many others would appreciate the originality with expected wear and tear that comes with a 45 year old car. That said, many a "rust-free" car have been found to be rust-filled. A quick repaint turns into a full body-off restoration. So, I stand by the "if it looks decent, drive it" ideology.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I've "been there and done that" and agree with Bill.

If it's a really nice "driver", use some TLC, lots of elbo grease and let it alone, if
you want a "driver quality" car.  Go throughly through all the mechanicals (cooling
system, brakes, tires) and other safety related items to insure you have a good
vehicle to drive.

The trouble with a partial cosmetic restoration is that once you paint it, all of a sudden
the chrome will stand out as not "up to snuff" and you'll want to do that, then of course
the interior will not be OK either, so you'll want to do that, etc., etc.

Then, you'll wind up with something that will cost you quite a bit, but will never be as
good as a car that started out to be done as a full restoration.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

tom eisner CLC 18396

Thanks Bill and Mike,
That is the approach I took with my other cars. I thought, being 1 of 1870 it would be a good investment. I will spend most of my time and money on safety and mechanics but the interior is so darn ugly. The last guy put some carpet in it that must have been left over from his basement reno circa 1970!   
1964 Eldorado
1966 Fleetwood Brougham
1968 Eldorado
1978 Eldorado Custom Biarritz
1985 Seville
1993 Allante
2007 XLR
It's a sickness