News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974-1976 Hood Hinges

Started by EAM 17806, August 28, 2009, 09:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

Just a little food for thought!  I just received a word of advice from one of the best, John Gatley of Roxbury, Ma, who said all you guys with big heavy hoods like the 74-76 Caddys better be certain to keep those hinges well oiled because it is getting kind of difficult to find new or good used ones. They are breaking down due to lack of keeping them oiled up.  A word to the wise should be sufficient.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Ted in Olympia WA

They are my best sellers when I can find them to sell.  Nearly all my Eldorados are missing hood hinges due to sales.  This makes it a real pain to work under the hood later on.

Also to test them what you do is close the hood and then lift up on the rear corners by the windsheild.  There should be none or very little up and down movement, if there is than it is wore out.

Also 71-74 are the same.  Then 75-78 Eldo and 75-76 Deville are the same.  I have 3 cars left in the 75-78 era that have hood hinges but they all have some movement and I don't think they would be good to sell, even though the hood seems to work okay.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

TJ Hopland

Or just exchange your worn out ones for a rebuilt set.

http://www.sms-auto.com/smsauto/public/en/products.jsp

I got a set for my eldo about 10 years ago.  They now have a bit of movement in the back but some of that is alignment which is difficult on my car because it got tweaked early in its life. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason