News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fabulous Fleetwoods Car Show -- Oct 24th -- Greenbelt, MD

Started by Vince Taliano #13852, August 28, 2010, 10:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Taliano #13852

Fabulous Fleetwoods
Sunday October 24, 2010
Show Hours: 9:00 am â€" 3:00 pm
Capitol Cadillac
6500 Capitol Drive
Greenbelt, MD 20770
Phone: 301-441-9600
www.ecapitol.com

Capitol Cadillac and the CLC Potomac Region present Fabulous Fleetwoods.  All Cadillacs and LaSalles are welcome to participate in our Fall Car Show with the featured cars being the Cadillac Fleetwoods, Broughams and Sixty Specials from 1938 through 1999. The goal of the show is to be one of the largest gatherings of Fleetwoods in recent Mid-Atlantic area history.  Specifically, this year's honored category

* includes both rear-wheel-drive and front-wheel-drive Fleetwoods and Sixty Specials,
* includes the low-production Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham coupes as well as the sedans,
* includes the Fleetwood Talisman of 1974-1976, the Fleetwood Series 72 of 1940, and the Fleetwood Limited of 1997-1999,
* includes the rear-wheel-drive Broughams from the late '80s through 1992, when the name Fleetwood was reserved for the front-wheel drive cars, and
* includes all Fleetwood Series 75 sedans and limousines of this era.

We are excluding Fleetwood Eldorados from this year's honored category because we recognized them previously in our Eldorado Extravaganza.

Every Fleetwood owner in the Mid-Atlantic area is encouraged to attend this very special show.  To celebrate the event, each registered owner will receive a commemorative dash plaque illustration of a Fleetwood (pictured above), as well as a commemorative show program highlighting the history of Fleetwoods and featuring a description of each Fleetwood pre-registered for the show.  The Fleetwood owners will also receive a framed certificate of appreciation for participating.  It is time for the Fleetwood owners to take their place alongside the prestigious V-12 / V-16, Eldorado, LaSalle and Capitol Cadillac Alumni Car owners who have been featured at the Potomac Region’s past theme-related car shows.  

The judging will be done by the owners of the vehicles registered.  The registered owners will be able to judge cars in all classes (people’s choice); including their own, and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards will be given to winning vehicles in each class, including two special classes for the Fabulous Fleetwoods: 1938 â€" 1959 and 1960 â€" 1999.  

Capitol Cadillac is an easy five minute drive from the Holiday Inn Greenbelt where rooms will be reserved for the night before the show at a special rate of $94/night (301-982-7000 â€" mention “Cadillac & LaSalle Club” when making reservation).  The Holiday Inn Greenbelt will also be the site for a dinner the night before the show hosted by past CLC President Richard Sills & Shelley Chadick.  If you plan to attend the dinner, please RSVP to Shelley at shelleychadick@yahoo.com or 717-368-4422.

To view and download the show flyer, visit http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.2010FallCarShowFlyer.pdf.
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Vince Taliano #13852

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the idea.  Last year we featured Capitol Cadillac "alumni cars" as the dealership celebrated its 75th Anniversary.  Check out the show article and pictures at http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/2009fallcarshow.htm.  Next big milestone is in 2014 when the dealership turns 80.  We'll probably be doing another "alumni" event where your '62 Eldo would be a great addition.

Talk with you later,

Vince

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region

Joe Puleo CLC #13617

Hi Vince,

Is that a picture of the dash plaque? Dan Reed did the illustration/painting from a photo that he took of my car. Capitol is 200 miles from my home but I will try to bring the car.

Regards,
Joe
Joe Puleo

Vince Taliano #13852

Hi Joe,

Correct, that is the picture of the dash plaque (actually it is the proof of the dash plaque sent to us to review and approve by Daytona Trophy).  Dan's illustrations have been used on our dash plaques since 2004.  He does great work and we are thrilled that he gives us permission to share his work.

If you are not able to make it to the show, we'll save a dash plaque for you and mail it to you.

Talk with you later,

Vince
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region

Joe Manna

Vince,

I will try to make it also with my 91 RWD Brougham.

Joe
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Dan LeBlanc

If I inherit a large sum of money, I'd try to get my 61 Sixty Special (which is likely the only on in it's color combo) there.  It's just not going to happen.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Vince Taliano #13852

Just want to clarify that all Cadillacs and LaSalles are welcome to participate in our Fall Car Show with the featured cars being the Cadillac Fleetwoods, Broughams and Sixty Specials from 1938 through 1999.

I have received quite a few emails asking if non-Fleetwoods would be able to participate in the show.  The answer is most definately YES.

Specifically, this year's honored category

• includes both rear-wheel-drive and front-wheel-drive Fleetwoods and Sixty Specials,
• includes the low-production Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham coupes as well as the sedans,
• includes the Fleetwood Talisman of 1974-1976, the Fleetwood Series 72 of 1940, and the Fleetwood Limited of 1997-1999,
• includes the rear-wheel-drive Broughams from the late '80s through 1992, when the name Fleetwood was reserved for the front-wheel drive cars, and
• includes all Fleetwood Series 75 sedans and limousines of this era.

We are excluding Fleetwood Eldorados from this year's honored category because we recognized them previously in our Eldorado Extravaganza.  

Hope to see you on Sunday October 24th at Capitol Cadillac.

Visit http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.2010FallCarShowFlyer.pdf to view the show flyer.

Thanks.

Vince
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region

Caddy Wizard

I'd like to try to make it with my 56 60S, but I am still trying to sort out some reliability issues.  I have only had the car a few months and various mechanical things are not right with the car at this time (brakes, radiator, fuel gauge, leaks, etc).

If I can make it, I'd like to attend.

Art Gardner
Marietta, GA
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Tom Pirog

Thanks to the professionals and knowledgeable team pulling together this event in Maryland.  To see you recognize the 1997-1999 Fleetwood Limiteds is appreciated and long overdue. i'm amazed at the lack of awareness about these great cars in the CLC.  Even our beloved Editor of the Self Starter, Steve Stewart, wrote in his article a year or so ago that he was frustrated with classified listings for Fleetwoods newer than 1996.  He lectured us on the expiration of Fleetwood in 1996 with the last Brougham.  These are great limited production cars that are superb investments.   Just ask the man who owns one!   See you in Maryland in October.

Vince Taliano #13852

Tom,

Thanks for your post.  Look forward to meeting you and seeing your Fleetwood in Maryland.  If you need any info, please let us know.

Vince
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region

Vince Taliano #13852

Based on the overwhelming response that we have received on our Fabulous Fleetwoods show, we have decided to make some changes to the criteria and the classes.

First of all, we will recognize per-1938 Fleetwood-bodied vehicles as meeting the criteria for Fabulous Fleetwoods with their own special class.  We received quite a few inquires from owners of those vehicles who are interested in participating in the event.  

In order to accommodate this new class, we reviewed the distribution of the 60+ pre-registrations, including approximately 30 Fleetwoods, received by class to see what adjustments could be made.  We concluded that there are a whole bunch of cars in some classes and not a lot in others and that it would be best to adjust the classes to make the distribution of vehicles more even.  One adjustment was to split the 1960-1999 Fabulous Fleetwoods class into two classes: 1960-1979 Fabulous Fleetwoods and 1980-1999 Fabulous Fleetwoods.  Here is what we came up with without changing the total number of classes:

Class A: Pre-1938 Fabulous Fleetwoods
Class B: 1938 - 1959 Fabulous Fleetwoods
Class C: 1960 - 1979 Fabulous Fleetwoods
Class D: 1980 â€" 1999 Fabulous Fleetwoods
Class E: 1902 - 1942 Cadillac & LaSalle (excluding Fleetwoods)
Class F: 1946 - 1958 Cadillac (excluding Fleetwoods)
Class G: 1959 - 1964 Cadillac (excluding Fleetwoods)
Class H: 1965 - 1970 Cadillac (excluding Fleetwoods)
Class I: 1971 - 1980 Cadillac (excluding Fleetwoods)
Class J: 1981 - 1996 Cadillac (excluding Fleetwoods)
Class K: 1997 - Current Cadillac (excluding Fleetwoods)
Class L: Commercial Vehicles
Class M: Modified Vehicles
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region

Richard Sills - CLC #936

This Capitol Cadillac show set a record turnout -- 115 cars, from 10 states!  Almost 50 people attended the dinner at the hotel near the dealership on the evening before the show.  Clearly the "Fabulous Fleetwood" theme had great appeal to members.

The Fleetwoods ranged in age from a 1931 V-16 All-Weather Phaeton to a 1999 Fleetwood Limited.  All eras of Cadillac Fleetwood production were well represented.     

The oldest car in the show was a 1927 Cadillac sedan (non-Fleetwood) that has been in the same family for 83 years. 

Two cars were driven over 500 miles to the show -- Jerry and Janet Steinard's 1976 Fleetwood Series 75 from Southfield, Michigan (long-distance award winner, at 601 miles) and Emerson Duke's 1993 Sixty Special from Greer, South Carolina. 

The major award winners included: 
Best Pre-War Car, 1936 Cadillac Series 85 V-12 Convertible Sedan owned by Byron and Alida Alsop of Oak Hill, Virginia
Best Post-War Car, 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special owned by Dave and Dora Forry of Manheim, PA
Best of Show, 1931 Cadillac Fleetwood V-16 All-Weather Phaeton owned by Charles Gillet of Baltimore, MD.

Vince Taliano #13852

Show article and photos can be viewed in the November issue of the Caddie Chronicle newsletter.

http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.1011Newsletter.pdf
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region