News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Radio repacement

Started by cadchuck429, November 26, 2010, 07:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadchuck429

Looking to replace my existing factory AM/FM radio with a CD without changing the aesthetics . Has anyone done this and if so can you offer advice.
Thanks,
Chuck
C. Attardi
429bigblock@excite.com
1967 Deville Conv't
2011 CTS COUPE

TJ Hopland

Custom Auto Sound make a variety of retro looking models with somewhat modern innards.  I dont have any of their newer models so I dont know how they are but their older stuff was a little on the cheap side as far as build quality and features.  Mine was from the era where you could still buy from the major manufacturers, now that they are practically the only game in town I would think their volume would have increased enough to allow them to have some better models.

http://www.casmfg.com/Caddy_Olds_Buick_Radios.htm

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadchuck429

I heard a few negative things about Custom Auto Sound like poor fit plastic knobs and sound quality. I've been searching the web and like you said they seem to be the only game around. Thanks for your feed back.
Chuck
C. Attardi
429bigblock@excite.com
1967 Deville Conv't
2011 CTS COUPE

Steve W

Don't do it!
Install an aftermarket unit under the dash or in the glove box!
In my 68, my original AM/FM works great and I have an antenna splitter to be able to run BOTH units!
I have my after-market unit under the dash for now, until I install my 8-track there...and then the CD will go to the glove box.
It's just so cool to have the original in-dash still there...IMO.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

cadchuck429

I have an AM/Fm Mono in my 67 now which sounds terrible. To think back in the day that was good. Also to make things worse now the tuner dial doesn't work when I turn the dial. I've been checking out some of the different forums and a lot of people been saying good things about Retro Sound In Ca. They actually make one for the 67/68 Caddy's which looks pretty good without drastically changing the original appearance. Haven't deceided  to go with the in dash or glove compartment.
Thanks,
Chuck 
C. Attardi
429bigblock@excite.com
1967 Deville Conv't
2011 CTS COUPE