News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'72 eldo upper ball joints ?

Started by Hankk17, October 20, 2011, 11:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

I'm having some trouble locating upper ball joints that don't cost $100-$150 each for my Eldorado.  Anyone have a good source?
Wherever you go... There you are

Dave Shepherd

Assume you have tried Napa, or Rockauto?

Hankk17

yeah most of the big carriers don't have them or if they do they cost $110 each (or thereabouts)  just looking for something reasonable.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Wait until you have to replace the front wheel bearings.
I wouuld respectfully suggest that if you need upper ball joints you get them whil they are still available.  I believe AC Delco and Moog no longer offer them.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Hankk17

rockauto has those listed for $80 I think.  I know they go for way more than that though.  I have one NOS front bearing in an old frayed box but the wrapper is intact and its still packed in oil so it's in good shape.  my intention is to gather all the parts for the front end and then do it some weekend when I'm snowed in this winter lol but without breaking the bank if possible.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Hank,
I trust you have checked the balljoints for wear in accordance with the service manual.  When they developed the driveline of these cars they must have had a safety factor of about 10 and built them like trucks.  Unless the car has been wrecked or has an exceptional amount of miles on it with out lubrication  most of the suspension and steering components are good for a couple of hundred thousand miles.
What I have found is that the parts that don't need replacement and consequently are "slow movers" (in sales) are those that the manufacturers lose interest in and quit producing.  You might notice that upper ball joints for earlier RWD Cadillacs are still offered by all the Manufacturers.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Hankk17

I know I have to do one of the CV joints which means I have to take the steering knuckle off.. so I figured I'm gonna be there, I may as well do it all.  However, I take your meaning and will check it out before I just have at it with the pneumatic chisel.   Maybe I'll be lucky, but this eldo is kinda tired and likely already has at least 100K on her.  it was something I inherited so the price was right.  :-)

Dave Shepherd

Typically the lower joints wore way before the upper.

TJ Hopland

I have not yet run into one that needed uppers.

Lots of lowers and quite a few wheel bearings even with fairly low mileage but no uppers.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Kevin Bielinski #13320

Kanter Auto Parts in NJ will have what you need.
CLC Western Regions Vice President
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
2001 Lincoln Krystal Hearse

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo
1973 Mercury Capri
1986 Lincoln Town Car
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis
1983 Buick LeSabre Limited

Hankk17

after leaving my job and being super broke for a bit.. and then subsequently finding a new better paying one I actually was able to pick up this search again last night and found this:

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/72/cadillac/eldorado/ball_joints/ball_joint_upper.html?3593=34218

uppers for $67.75 - I ordered em up and hopefully they'll be the right ones lol

just FYI