News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rear Bumper Energy Absorbers 1976 Eldorado

Started by Caddyjack, July 11, 2012, 03:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyjack

Hi friends. Someone rear ended me at about 10mph and knocked my bumper assembly in about 2 inches. The body shop guy said if he could locate the energy absorbers, he wouldn't need to find an entire bumper assembly. So, I was wondering if the units are the same in all models in 1976? Or are there ones exclusive to Eldorados? Here's a photo of the pair I plan to buy if they'll fit:

1976 77 78 79 80 81 CADILLAC REAR BUMPER ENERGY ABSORBERS.  THESE ARE THE PARTS THAT BOLT TO THE FRAME BETWEEN THE BUMPER.  IN THE EVENT OF A REAR END COLLISION THESE ABSORB THE ENERGY, AND EASE THE COLLISION.  ALSO FIT 1982  1989 BUICK.  PART # 22016994.   SHORT # 509-128

Thanks in Advance!
"Caddy-Jack" Larson
Devon, PA
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

76eldo

If they are not totally compressed or bent, try tapping them with a hammer. They may just pull back out!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Caddyjack

Thanks, Brian. The body shop guy must have thought they were shot, since he has began a search for another bumper assembly. I saw these on ebay and according to the ad, thought they might fit my '76 Eldo. The seller is still researching to see if he can verify compatibility. It would be a whole lot easier if they fit. Anyone know? Or does anyone know where I can find a pair that do fit if they won't?

Caddy-Jack
Devon, PA
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

If the Hollander Interchange Manual is right, ALL 74-76 Cadillacs should fit your car.  Please see attached.

Bill Hedge

Caddyjack

Thank you Bill Hedge. I'll go ahead and buy them, and the seller has a 14 day return policy, so it's worth a shot. I'll let everyone know when the time comes for information purposes in the future.

Jack
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jack,
Several things. Bill is correct about the interchange. I would NOT buy them until I was sure about the interchange as YOU will be paying the shipping both ways, or at least one way. I'm surprised that your shop would be looking for a complete rear bumper instead of just the absorbers. I'm also surprised that one of the posters that sell parts on this board has not responded with some good used ones.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Caddyjack

--------UPDATE-------

Well, the part does NOT fit the 1976 Eldorado, and the body shop says they no longer exist except for used ones. So, they're tracking down a whole other bumper assembly to use. That's fine with me, since the insurance company of the lady who rear-ended me will be paying for it. And what's this pain I'm beginning to feel in my neck...hmmmmm  ;D Ha ha ha.....
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

TJ Hopland

Do you know what years are the same?   

How was the rubber on yours?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caddyjack

Friends.....

I am having a DEVIL of a time finding the shocks to replace these. Do any of you know where I might look? The bumper assembly I was depending upon was a mess, and the energy absorbers were totally compressed. So, even those did me no good.

Does anyone have a source for these energy absorbers for a 1976 Eldo? Or any makeshift solution?

Jack
Devon, PA
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

TJ Hopland

Are you trying to stay 'correct'?  If not those do not look that complicated so I would think a fairly basic metal shop could weld up some fixed brackets. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Quote from: Caddyjack on August 06, 2012, 02:18:10 PM

Does anyone have a source for these energy absorbers for a 1976 Eldo? Or any makeshift solution?

Jack
Devon, PA

Makeshift solution --- if your old ones can be pulled out to their original length, do so, then tack weld the inner tube to the outer in a few spots.  You will lose your "energy absorbing" but, it was many years before anyone had "energy absorbing" rear bumpers.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Caddyjack

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll mention that to the clown at the body shop next time he says he's exhausted all possibilities.  ::)
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Why not drop off a copy of Hemmings Motor News at the body shop....better still, when you want a job done right.. well, you know the rest. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Gene Beaird

As Brian said, I'd verify the absorbers are really in bad shape.  I've 'fixed' more than one of those being pushed in by tapping them with a mallet.  One, I just wiggled the bumper and it popped right out.  I had one hidden under the plastic bumper cover on our 86 SVO that was pushed in.  We were taking it apart to do some body work, and 'add lightness'  (install an aluminum version of the factory steel bumper), and the absorber popped out after I loosened the bolts between the bumper and absorber.   It's very much worth trying.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

76eldo

They will pop back out unless bent.  You would have to have a very hard hit to bend it.

I also like, no I love the tack weld idea.  Let the jerk behind you absorb the impact, not your Caddy!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

waterzap

Some idiot almost rear ended me today. All I could think was, oh man, where am I going to get the bumper energy absorbers :-)

Was doing a leisurely 50 â€" 55 on a 55 road. Miles from anywhere by the way. Guy behind me in a crappy old Corolla with mismatched body panels was right on my tail. Way, way too close for comfort.
When I started braking and signaling to turn, I could hear his brakes lock up behind me. Tires screeching. Turned out as fast as I could to let him past.
Leesburg, AL