News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gas Siphoning HELP!

Started by Jeff Wilk, November 01, 2012, 09:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Stuck without power after hurricane Sandy with no gas stations yet open (or only a few with 3+ hour lines).  Power outage estimated for over another week.  Yet, I am sitting with about 25 gallons of gas in my 75 Eldorado that is better used in the portable generator for the house.

HOW DO YOU DRAIN THE GAS FROM THESE TANKS???????? ???

Disconnect fuel line at engine and run pump somehow?????

SOS!!!!!
:'(
Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

R Schroeder

I have always used a piece of 1/2 I.D. hose. Something around 6 ft long should work.
You cant use electric pumps or the like, or you may be viewing from Heaven.

Put your lips around it and suck until it flows. Taste bad , but if your fast you can get it flowing before you taste it.

waterzap

If you can get the hose into the tank, that would work. But there might be baffles.

You can disconnect the fuel hose from the back, the one that comes out of the fuel tank.

You can also just disconnect the hose from the fuel pump in front. Might even be easier. If the car is on a light hill, with the front lower than the back, fuel will just pour out. Ask me how I know.
Leesburg, AL

Ken Perry

Small, long, clear hose should get past the baffles,the clear part is so you dont suck in any gas ! Those cars are low,so get as far below the tank as posible,lay the gas can on its side so it is low as posible,then start the siphone. Don't breath the fumes in or get in your mouth, extreme case could Kill you ! Very doable (Get That Gas) Hope this helps you. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Walter Youshock

You can live in the car...

I suggest you get a hand pump and avoid any physical contact with the gas.  Remove the flexible line from the pump, hook up the hand pump and transfer the gas that way.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

76eldo

Google liquid transfer pump.  Don't suck the hose.
There are baffles. Small diameter clear hose will allow you to see what's coming in your direction if you decide to go old school.
You can draw a little at a time putting your thumb over the hose to maintain suction but the fumes are really nasty. A little transfer pump that uses a squeeze ball to draw will work.
Be really careful.

Good luck.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Wilk

Brian, ive decided to drive out I78 to Easton instead which is about 30 miles from my office. Im in my suv with a 33 gal tank which i will fill to the brim and then drain at home with the pump as is described as std.    No mouths of  gas for me.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only way to drain petrol is either by using the "Jiggler" Siphon hose, or connect an electric fuel pump to the fuel line at the front of the car and transfer the contents to another container.

I use a Holley Blue Pump that I have laying around from my racing days.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David Greenburg

If you like the idea of the manual method, but don't want to suck on the hose, try going to a big pet store or tropical fish shop and look for a siphon hose with a squeeze bulb starter on it.  I've also used a turkey baster to get a siphon going. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special