News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fleetwood Seventy-five limousines

Started by Chad Oolman, January 12, 2014, 10:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

I have always admired the Cadillac Fleetwood Limousines and ran across the one pictured below, A 1969 Formal Landau.  The car has been stored for a long time in a small town near Tallahassee, Florida and has 43,XXX original miles.  The owner is asking $20,000 which seems very high to me.

Does anyone have some thoughts on cars like this?  Value, rarity, etc.  Anyone near Tallahassee that is familiar with the car or would be willing to go and look at it?

My goal is to find a well preserved original factory limousine, not necessarily a landau model, although I do like the uniqueness of a landau.  Any input/help would be appreciated.

TonyZappone #2624

I have owned 3 75 series Cadillacs, a '49 7519 (five passenger, no division) and had owned concurrently two 1956 Derham conversions.  These are the most fascinating cars.  Pure luxury, no compromise such as in the new coach conversions.  Moreover, I couldn't get this car painted for twenty grand.  Sounds like a steal to me.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks pretty good to me as well.

Can't see you finding one in better condition for the money.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Apple Caddy

Price is too high.  Although limos were much rarer, especially with the formal landau roof, and much pricier when new compared to sedans these just don't have that much more value above the sedans unless perhaps those having a "famous" owner history.

It's not like there's a lot out there to pick from, though.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Chad,

I feel your instincts are correct in regards to the price. For whatever it may be worth, OCPG lists values of "1969/1970" Series 75 Limousine as $7,650 in condition #3; $11,900 for #2 and $17,000 for #1.

Unless the car is absolutely top-to-bottom pristine throughout, the seller is going to find it difficult netting anywhere near that kind of money for a 1969 Limousine - in my view.

*EDIT- On closer inspection, pitting of pot metal parts is evident in some of the close ups which means the chrome is likely deteriorated as well. Front seat is filthy, rust showing in division window channel and assorted other demerits. In sum, the car as shown does not appear to have received anywhere the amount of care throughout its life in order to maintain in #2 condition, let alone #1.

This car squarely falls into #3 status from where I stand. I see no more than $7K - $8K worth of property here at the most - and that would be making the heroic assumption the car needs next to nothing by way of mechanical/operational refreshening.

One man's opinion.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

C.R. Patton II

Hello Chad

The assessment by Eric is valid. I concur.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

gary griffin

Another consideration is if you are very tall the division window claims about 4 inches of leg room and as I recall there is no adjustment in the drivers seat.  Being 6 ft  2 inches tall I can not even consider them although I would love to have one.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Chad Oolman

Thanks for all the comments.  Buying a car sight unseen is difficult, especially when the price is a bit on the high side.  I guess it all depends on what condition it is in when seen in person.

Thanks again.

Chuck Swanson

Just sold a'69 limo w/ landau in last 3 months, very similar condition but 80K miles and larger back window, between 2-3 condition, and I don't think the one above is a 20 K car ;)  Saw this one on eBay starting at 12K this week, but looks like he has some low feedback bidders inflating price.  (ended at 12.2K reserve not met).  I guess you can get lucky...ya never know.   

If you know someone who want to buy one at 20K, lemme know and I'll happily buy mine back and resell  ;D
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Chaz Swansen on January 14, 2014, 12:12:23 AM
Saw [the subject car] on eBay starting at 12K this week, but looks like he has some low feedback bidders inflating price. 

I agree.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jaxops

Quote from: ericdev on January 13, 2014, 10:23:04 AM
This car squarely falls into #3 status from where I stand. I see no more than $7K - $8K worth of property here at the most -...

I would have to agree with Eric on about $6-8k.  There will be plenty of rehab work to do still, but the body looks pretty solid. There is a market for these but one has to have the space to garage these monsters.  Many became parts cars.  I really like the landau roof and the "S-bar."  The black-on-black interior isn't my favorite though-I always liked the blue interior.  It does appear to be in good condition in the back.  Good luck. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA