News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wood graining

Started by Martin Michaels, March 28, 2014, 02:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Michaels

Has anyone used the grain-it woodgraining system? I've tried the hydro-dip looks great but always a little flaw.The 3m dinoc vinyl just doesn't seem right.The grain-it system uses the factory system of rolling the ink into a pattern then onto the surface to be done.Watching the process on the computer it looks simple.I going to try it I was just wondering if anyone has used it. 
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Classic

Another highly recommended source:

WOODGRAIN by Estes: The name in authentic woodgrain restoration using factory original process, 40+ years serving restorers & discerning owners. Joe Goss, 2001 Charles St, Lafayette, IN 47904, 765-427-7078

Gene Menne
CLC #474

Don Warder

Woodgrain by Estes seems to be out of business, however, check out Hemmings for available wood graining services.

Don #28555
Don Warder

Classic

Woodgrain by Estes:

Try this new number:  765-490-5634
email:   gossjh@comcast.net
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Classic

Just got an email from Joe Goss.  Woodgrain by Estes still very much in business.

Business Phone:  (765) 427-7078.

Business email:  woodgrain@comcast.net

(My previous post gave his home phone & email address)
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Martin Michaels

Thanks a lot for the new phone# from what I saw this is by far the way to go,buying the plates and rollers seems well worth the investment.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Joe is a long-time friend and did a great job on my 1941 60S dash. And did I ever get a deal from him. Once a year (Sept) our local car club has a fundraising auction. Joe was just getting started and offered either a dash done or the window garnishes as a gift certificate. Someone made a bid of fifty bucks and I hopped right on with $100. I got it for that, and my wife said, "Why on earth did you pay a hundred dollars for a piece of paper?" I told her that I just saved about seven hundred dollars on getting our dash re-done. Sorry, he hasn't done that again, and of course, you have to be a member of LIHAC anyway. (Lafayette, IN Historic Auto Club.) It's expensive but worth it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Martin Michaels

Barry, is he still selling the equipment and ink to do it your self,thats the way I' rather go.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If I see him Tuesday evening at our monthly meeting, I'll ask. If he's not there, I'll try to remember to ask Bonnie.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Martin Michaels

Thanks Barry, I need to redo all of my pieces that are wood grained so I'll buy the stuff Wednesday if he has it.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

R Sotardi #11719

A couple of years ago one of the members of the Hudson Club( HET) did a demonstration of Grain It on the glove box of his 49 Commodore. I was impressed with the nice finished product, and the ease of application. However it ain't cheap. Ron

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, I saw Joe last night at our meeting. He said that you will have to contact Grain-it, as he doesn't have any contact with them any more. Good luck. Barry.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Martin Michaels

I purchased the Grain-It wood graining system today,I should receive in about 10 days or so.When I receive the product and finish my parts I will report on the pro's and con's on this product.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Doc Hubler

Martin,

Looking forward to how your stuff goes.  I've used GIT and it seems to give great results.  Like everything, practice and experience make the difference.  If you do more than one, you'll continually improve.  It's not really quite as cut and dried as they make it out.  You need to research your base colors properly (their standards are really always qutie right).  I've generally found the darker you make the pattern, the better.  You have to learn to mix the inks properly for that.  Ther are a few other tricks that I've found out myself.  I see the other person sells the inks, so I'd be interested in what they have.  Will have to get some more after a while.

Tim Hubler #28450

1948 Cadillac 4862X 4Dr Sedan

1933 Hudson Standard 8
1940 Plymouth Bus. Coupe
1941 Hudson Pickup, Bus. Coupe, Sedan
1942 DeSoto Club Coupe
1946 Dodge 3W Bus. Coupe
1946 Chevrolet Suburban
1950 Hudson Commodore Coupe / Pacemaker Sedan
1951 Hudson Hornet
1955 Chevrolet 1/2T Pickup
1956 Hudson Super Wasp