News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Outside rear view mirrors for 1949 Cadillac Sedanette from Cadillac Parts Ltd.

Started by Bill Bickle 15098, April 18, 2014, 05:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bickle 15098

I am looking at a set of rear view mirrors from Cadillac Parts Ltd. in Waterford NJ.  As you know the passenger side mirror seems to present difficulties on reproduction ones.
You can't get one that doesn't require you to almost sit in the back seat to see an image in it. There does not seem to be enough of a curve in the arm to allow easy viewing from the driver's seat.  Has anyone purchased a set from Cadillac Parts that is satisfied with the passenger side mirror? It seems to have more of a curve in the arm.  They do not accept returns so I am out of luck if it is unsatisfactory and they are expensive!
1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107

Bill Bickle 15098

1927 (7400) and 1940 (5267) LaSalles; 1949 Cadillac 6107

Classic

I would call Mike or Liz Gadaleto - phone 856 753 6788.  They are the proprietors.  Ask if they have any feedback from others who have used them on a '49 - are they functional or only decorative?  Also do they have any pictures of them mounted on a '49?  I have not personally dealt with them, but others on this forum speak highly of them.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bill,
My question to you ... is half a  mirror view better than none? If yes, I will try & help.
Also, do you have the correct King Bee mirrors on your 40 LaSalle?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Just looked at Cadillac Parts Ltd. website  His 37 to 49 outside mirrors are TOTALLY INCORRECT. Mike should know better!
Many other vendors sell the correct King Bee style.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jay Friedman

I know this is heresy but I solved this problem by installing 1950-53 Cadillac rear view mirrors on my '49.  Unlike the 37-49 mirrors which mount on the door frame, the 50-53 mirrors are mounted lower down on the door body, making the right hand mirror usable and easily adjustable.  I've seen these mirrors on other '48s and '49s too, including a gorgeous '49 Coupe de Ville that was in contention for a first place prize at a Grand National some years ago. 

Is it authentic?  Not exactly, but my rational is that being Cad mirrors they are not altogether non-authentic either and, maybe more importantly, if you drive your car you can actually see if anyone is trying to head you off at the pass from the right.  I have a photo of the right side of my '49 showing the mirror but my computer skills are such that I'm unable to upload it onto this posting.  I am able to attach the photo to an email, so if anyone wants to see it, email me at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com

Cadillac Parts Ltd. sells the 50-53 mirrors and other Cad parts vendors sell them too.  A little secret is that the same mirrors were used on Corvettes in the '60s and '70s so they can be found at Corvette Central and other dealers for about half the amount Cadillac parts dealers charge for them.  (Chevy dealers used to sell them even cheaper until they ceased stocking them about 15 years ago.)
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

DennisK

Never had much success with Cadillac Parts Ltd.
When all is said and done, more is said then done.