News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cimarron prospects like those were for 1931 V16 Cadillac

Started by Big Apple Caddy, October 12, 2014, 04:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

At least that's what this video was trying to suggest. ;D

Selling the 1983 Cadillac Cimarron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LCY_reDFw0#t

The Tassie Devil(le)

Must have worked, because they were sold.   But, thankfully, not in Australia.   We got the rotten Holden Camira.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Apple Caddy

The Cimarron sold but not at the levels Cadillac had hoped for.  Although certainly not a "great" car, I don't think it deserved or deserves the degree of criticisms received.

TJ Hopland

Didn't they end up selling about 20,000 per year?  The next least selling model (with the exception of the series 75) was usually in the 40,000 range which does not seem bad till you look and see that in that era the Deville was usually over 100,000 for a total of 300,000 ish.    GM was selling 3 million plus in that era. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on October 13, 2014, 09:12:38 AM
The Cimarron sold but not at the levels Cadillac had hoped for.  Although certainly not a "great" car, I don't think it deserved or deserves the degree of criticisms received.

Certainly not the final 1988 but the 1982 model sure earned every nickel of criticism it got. Thankfully 1982 was the only year of the miserable 1.8L 1bbl 4 cyl.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

wrefakis

had one with a stick, luggage rack on the trunk, red leather, WOW!

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 13, 2014, 09:38:44 AM
Didn't they end up selling about 20,000 per year?  The next least selling model (with the exception of the series 75) was usually in the 40,000 range which does not seem bad till you look and see that in that era the Deville was usually over 100,000 for a total of 300,000 ish.    GM was selling 3 million plus in that era.

Its peak selling model year was 1982 at around 26K, a comparatively high number because it went on sale early, but the overall annual average for its seven year run was around 19K.  While the 1982 had a long model year, the 1988's was very short.

The Cimarron was sold during a time when total annual Cadillac sales were in the 250K to 320K range.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: ericdev on October 13, 2014, 10:06:40 AMThankfully 1982 was the only year of the miserable 1.8L 1bbl 4 cyl.

True.  The car did get better and better over time.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: wrefakis on October 13, 2014, 11:27:29 AM
had one with a stick, luggage rack on the trunk, red leather, WOW!

"WOW!" good or "WOW!" bad?  What year did you have?

wrefakis

very early one at very start of production all they had were sticks, wow like in 82 I really started stockpiling 65-70 cads with low miles a few miles in that 82 and I knew Cadillac was gone for good

INTMD8

I remember a girl in high school that had one. It started on fire in the school parking lot.

Best thing that ever happened to that car  ;D

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It's pretty bad when a (then) sitting GM vice president publically condemns the car.

To be fair, the remarks were lodged against Cimarron #1 (an '82 model) in GM's collection.

Following GM tradition of the 1980s: Throw the thing together before adequately tested, engineered and designed, kill it off after you've finally got it right by which time - good or bad - nobody even cares.

Cimarron may have actually enjoyed a good reputation with a long production life had they kicked off with the 1988 model.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

r2law

I bought an 81 Dealer's merchandise guide to go with my Fleetwood and it had a 14 page marketing presentation for the Cimarron.  Cadillac was targeting the European imports, specifically the BMW, Mercedes and Audi.  We all know they never achieved that goal.  Attached are pages 2, 3 and 4 from the presentation. 

Big Apple Caddy

Early Cimarron print ads compared it against the Audi 5000, BMW 320i, Volvo GLE, and Saab 900S.....claiming Cimarron "beat the imports at their own game."

In the video below, 1987 Cimarron pricing/value was compared against cars like Audi 4000S, Nissan Maxima GL, Toyota Cressida, and Honda Accord LXi.

Cadillac Insight - 1987 Cimarron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIsWYAT95EE