News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1985 eldorado convt problems

Started by Jimbo409, December 21, 2014, 11:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo409

I have a Eldo convt and the top doesn't work.when I put the switch to down I don't hear anything. The last owner said it was the cylinders.my question is I checked the factory service manual and it is not very helpful regarding the convt top.someone said it might be the fuse but I checked and there isn't a fuse for the convt top.
My question is where is the fuse located or is there a fusible link somewhere if so where do I start.like I said when I push the top switch nothing happens no sound or movement. Thanks jimbo
Jim steffen

936CD69

Jim. Brian Rachlin (76eldo) will be riding in with one of his many 80-85 Eldo converts to assist you!
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

James Landi

Quote from: 936CD69 on December 21, 2014, 11:59:51 AM
Jim. Brian Rachlin (76eldo) will be riding in with one of his many 80-85 Eldo converts to assist you!

Hi Jim,   I have an 85 as well.   If you don't hear the pump motor running, it may be any of a number of issues.   As originally designed, when you hit the switch, there is a relay behind the spare wheel in the trunk that is activated, and that sends ALL FOUR WINDOWS down and the top down as well!  I suggest that you unload the spare tire, open up the compartment behind it, and have someone else hit the interior/top down switch while you listen for the trunk mounted relay to activate.  If you can hear and find" the relay, you can work from there with a 12 volt source to see if you can activate the windows and top pump.  I disconnected the "windows down function" from this relay on mine because of the huge battery drain. 

76eldo

The first thing to check is to make sure you have voltage at the switch.

If you remove the top two screws on the radio bezel you can pivot down and remove the radio bezel. Your top switch is attached to it.  The connector may just be loose on the switch.
Using a test light or meter, the center pin on the connector should be the hot wire.
Probe between that pin and ground to light up the light or measure 12 volts.

If you have voltage at the connector the switch may be faulty.

Once you find the hot wire on the connector, if the switch is not working you can make up a little test lead and jump from the hot wire to each of the other two.
One connection gives you down andthe other gives you up

If you have no juice at the switch connector you will need to drop the black plastic cover under the steering column that gives you access to the fuses and relays.
Look for a non stock looking wire going into the fuse block with a spade lug connection or possibly a disconnected wire.

I believe that ASC made a connection at the fuse box to feed the switch.

Another way to go about this is to get to the top motor behind the cardboard trunk panel.

There are two thick wires and a ground wire attached with a screw into the metal of the body.
You can take a 12 volt source, such as another battery and put the negative to the ground screw, and try each motor wire. Again, one is up and one is down.

If you can't get any operation this way you have a burned out motor.

So you can have one of these problems:

1. Loose or disconnected wire at voltage source.
2.  Bad switch
3.  Break in wiring going to the top motor
4.  Loss of power at door switches for windows
5.  Relay problem with controller that lowers windows when you operate the top.

Let us know what you find.  It's common for a connection at the fuse block to get loose.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

James,

It is extremely important to make sure you lower the rear quarter windows before you lower the top.

ASC and Hess utilized these relay timer boxes in order to keep people from breaking the quarter glass.
The height of the window and the top geometry interfere with each other so the first time you forget to drop the windows you run the risk of the top pushing down on the glass and breaking it.

That's a $1000 mistake for each side. You have to rip apart the back of the car to fix this and kiss some major butt to get someone to sell you a quarter glass if you can find one.

I'd hook the gizmo back up if I were you.

Just a suggestion.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jimbo409

Thanks everyone,I have a lot to check. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks so much Jimbo
Jim steffen

76eldo

By the way, even if the cylinders or lines were bad they would just leak. You will hear the pump working if it has juice and is pumping.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jimbo409

Brian, are you saying if the cylinders aren't leaking then they are good.
Jim steffen

76eldo

If they do not leak, and they are not seized up or frozen, they should be fine.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

James Landi

Hi Brian,

YIKES-- although, not to be a contrary, but my rear glass and the top mechanism are not geometrically close when the top  begins to go down-- I assumed the engineering involving all of the windows was intended to create an impressive array of electrical automation-- so I feel especially fortunate that over the past fifteen years, that I did not destroy the windows.. (henceforth, I'll lower them beforehand!!!!!)... maybe my 85 was somewhat re-engineered to ensure this did not happen!!!  Thanks for the info!  James   

76eldo

James,

It may not be as critical on the ASC cars as the quarter windows are smaller at the top.  The Hess windows are larger and if you look at the top as it's going down, if the windows are all the way up it's a problem.

Just to play it safe, drop the windows at least slightly before lowering the top.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

wetboyz

I have the same issue. Car dealer said I need all new hydraulics.. glad to see this! Thank you!

Quote from: 76eldo on December 21, 2014, 05:36:08 PM
The first thing to check is to make sure you have voltage at the switch.

If you remove the top two screws on the radio bezel you can pivot down and remove the radio bezel. Your top switch is attached to it.  The connector may just be loose on the switch.
Using a test light or meter, the center pin on the connector should be the hot wire.
Probe between that pin and ground to light up the light or measure 12 volts.

If you have voltage at the connector the switch may be faulty.

Once you find the hot wire on the connector, if the switch is not working you can make up a little test lead and jump from the hot wire to each of the other two.
One connection gives you down andthe other gives you up

If you have no juice at the switch connector you will need to drop the black plastic cover under the steering column that gives you access to the fuses and relays.
Look for a non stock looking wire going into the fuse block with a spade lug connection or possibly a disconnected wire.

I believe that ASC made a connection at the fuse box to feed the switch.

Another way to go about this is to get to the top motor behind the cardboard trunk panel.

There are two thick wires and a ground wire attached with a screw into the metal of the body.
You can take a 12 volt source, such as another battery and put the negative to the ground screw, and try each motor wire. Again, one is up and one is down.

If you can't get any operation this way you have a burned out motor.

So you can have one of these problems:

1. Loose or disconnected wire at voltage source.
2.  Bad switch
3.  Break in wiring going to the top motor
4.  Loss of power at door switches for windows
5.  Relay problem with controller that lowers windows when you operate the top.

Let us know what you find.  It's common for a connection at the fuse block to get loose.

Brian

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

High tomorrow is 8 degrees and below zero tomorrow nite.  .....  Be glad your top is stuck up!!
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille