News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel Additive

Started by Jim Dunne, June 11, 2015, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dunne

I have an original 1955 Eldorado engine. After having the carb rebuilt, i am told i should be using some type of Fuel Additive (original Valves)  Do any of you have suggestions as to what type or brand might work best? any special suggestions? I am almost afraid to add something. The car has been working just fine for the last 15 years without any additive. You know..... if it ain't broke..... Thanks
Jim Dunne
Jim@teamstoreonline.com

signart

Unless you are going to drive sustained highway miles at interstate speeds, fagetaboutit. 
Art D. Woody

chrisntam

I use Sta-bil at every fill up.  Never know when a tank of gas is going to stay in there for a while.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Glen

There are a lot of urban myths out there on this subject and few if any actual case histories.  You can Google the subject and see what comes up.  Ignore opinions and look at only lab results or actual damage to engines and what caused them. 

I find it amusing that some people will insist that you will destroy your engine without the leaded gas or this or that additives.  Meanwhile there are thousands of engines running on propane without lead or additives.  I’m not talking about engines designed for propane, I’m talking about engines deigned for gasoline and converted to propane or natural gas.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

I'm in the if you are going to run it long and hard you may want to add something camp.   If not then you are probably fine.     

If you are running it long and hard you have likely worn it out or will soon wear it out (not just valves, the whole engine) and will or would have it rebuilt with hardened seats so the valves will no longer be the issue.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jon S

Quote from: Glen on June 12, 2015, 01:43:06 AM
There are a lot of urban myths out there on this subject and few if any actual case histories.  You can Google the subject and see what comes up.  Ignore opinions and look at only lab results or actual damage to engines and what caused them. 

I find it amusing that some people will insist that you will destroy your engine without the leaded gas or this or that additives.  Meanwhile there are thousands of engines running on propane without lead or additives.  I’m not talking about engines designed for propane, I’m talking about engines deigned for gasoline and converted to propane or natural gas.   

If you want to play the odds and hope your engine doesn't get damaged, that's fine with me.  I will continue to play it safe and enjoy my car with the added protection it was designed to have.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT