News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974 Coupe deville questions

Started by Ville, June 30, 2015, 06:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

1974-1976 Cadillac deville cars all came from the factory with radial tires as standard equipment. The factory shop manual states to set the tire pressure in accordance with the specifications on the placard label which is located on the inside of the glove box cover. It states there 23 psi in the front and 24 in the rear per the 1976 factory shop manual on page 10-2. However, for continuous high speed driving over 75 MPH increase pressure 4psi up to a maximum of 32PSI, but for average driving I suggest 27-28PSI on all fours; remember these three years are basically the same body and weight. Again, this is from the factory shop manual.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Yes i have radial tires.

Okay i buy that shop manual at least. What fisher body manual includes what shop manual doesnt?
CDV 1974

What is basic adjustment of idle mixture screws? I mean turns.

I have vacuum gauge which helps adjustment but its too rich. How accurant is mixture screw? Is 1/4 turn accuracy ok?

Emission tag says co 1% max is that true? If i go to smog test. Its not must in there because car is old but id like to know mixture.
CDV 1974

35-709

"It states there 23 psi in the front and 24 in the rear per the 1976 factory shop manual on page 10-2. However, for continuous high speed driving over 75 MPH increase pressure 4psi up to a maximum of 32PSI, but for average driving I suggest 27-28PSI on all fours; remember these three years are basically the same body and weight. Again, this is from the factory shop manual.  EAM"

That is old and outdated information, unless maybe you are still running radial tires built back in that time period.  Radial tires have continued to evolve since then in construction and technology, and I stand firmly behind what I have said.  Your car, your tires, do what you will.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I did try running mine that low and it didn't really seem to soften the ride but made the handling seem extra soft.  Also noticed they seemed to run a lot hotter even at moderate speeds.    Take em up to the tire max of 45 and the ride does get really bad but in the 30-35 range I didn't think the overall crusing comfort was much different than in the 25 range.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bill06447

it sounds like the rubber body mount bushings may have deteriorated, and the body is riding directly on the frame, might want to confirm the body mount integrity.

Bill

Ill check rest of these. I've already checked from because it rattles. It was caused by windshield which is off on bottom at least, maybe sides too.

By the way, I hear that same aged Lincoln were the most smooth cars on road. Is Cadillac smoother than Buick,Chevy,olds or mopars? Just thinking...

Does shop manual include nothing about a/c troubles,or do I have to order Cadillac Tim troubleshooting guide too?

CDV 1974

TJ Hopland

The shop manual does have info on the climate control system.   The difference between that and Tim's book is that Tim wrote his like 10 years ago based on his current experience repairing the systems so his book focuses on what usually fails or needs attention at this age.  His book also does not require the special dealer type tools. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

CDV 1974

Can someone help and tell which colored wire is for headlights? That what is visible link to start ->

I've replaced all fusible links from start but headlights are tricky. Yesterday they started to work when I re check links under car. Today they suddenly went off.

Maybe fusible link wire is bad or switch?

If link is little bit too small, can it cause that kind of problems? All links are fine, no burn or voices when I touch those.

CDV 1974

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ville,

You have an email that requires your immediate attention.

Bruce Reynolds
CLC # 18992
Message Board Administrator
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Sorry Bruce! Im lazy what comes reading emails.

Hope all is now okay?

Good day too even in there Finland clock is 4.12 a.m  ;D
CDV 1974

The Tassie Devil(le)

Good job Ville,

So you also missed my email about the $9 Million that you won the other day? ;)

Down here in Tasmania, it is 11.14am, Wednesday.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Heh.

Been some pause for cadillac.

Automatic level control hoses are now stucked. Now vacuum gauge won't wobble anymore.

But! I can't get more than steady 15-16hg. Timing is ok and new dist cap etc. What can cause it? Works still good.

Also measured acceleration with GPS today. 0-100kmh (about 62miles?) was 9.1 seconds, woah! 0-80kmh 6,1. I'm surprised.

But over 100kmh/60miles it will slow down and I see the limitations of big car.

I inspected car too, first time in my country. Was good and passed. Shocks are bad because test gives only 50%.

Rear are still air shocks but hoses are cutted off. Is it possible to fit new hoses and try them?

CDV 1974

I removed dash covers and panels. Now I can switch bulbs etc. But main fault is somewhere else. Won't  give 12v in sockets. Can faulty light switch / dimmer cause that? Fuses under dash ok.

Removed a/c temp sensor too. Now it gives only heat. So that means my sensor is working because,I can adjust temp when its on. Only a/c cool is missing.

All warning lights should go on when power is on before starting?
CDV 1974

Is there some place in engine where i can but coolant temp sensor for gauge?
CDV 1974

CDV 1974

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Ville on July 03, 2015, 08:40:43 AM
Ill check rest of these. I've already checked from because it rattles. It was caused by windshield which is off on bottom at least, maybe sides too.

By the way, I hear that same aged Lincoln were the most smooth cars on road. Is Cadillac smoother than Buick,Chevy,olds or mopars? Just thinking...

Does shop manual include nothing about a/c troubles,or do I have to order Cadillac Tim troubleshooting guide too?

Maybe not in the 60's, but In the 70's, this is generally true. The Lincolns were smoother riding cars that felt like you are on cloud with Zero rattles, as their suspension was tuned more for comfort and softness rather than for handling more so than a Cadillac. The bodies are better constructed not just the way the frame and body mounts are designed, but the actual quality of construction of the BODY itself. The doors, the hood, the cabin, rear sail panel. Panel welding, the strength and torsional rigidity of the metal, all that contributes to a more solid more comfortable ride. It's not just the suspension setup, but the actual construction of the entire car is what makes for a great ride.

I used to own a 72 Cadillac Sedan Deville that is exactly the same car of your 74, and that car rattled, shook, and shivered over rough pavement. I was very surprised by this for it being a Cadillac. Even with shocks and control arm bushing replacement, new tires with an alignment, new steering components, the car still rode rough. The quality of this year was terrible IMO compared to the older models.

I heard that from 71-73, these particular model Cadillacs had body integrity issues. Because I remember riding in a 70 Cadillac years ago, and that car was amazingly smooth, quiet, and comfortable.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Okay, lincoln is winner in smoothnes. So many has told that  :(

How about in other marks? Or i just wanna know which place cadillac gets in smoothnes? I had 74 impala stw which feeled same but rear leaf springs stiffered bouncing a lot i think.

CDV 1974

Clock is not working because one little red pinion is broken, just besides the clock "motor".

Does someone sell those anymore or do i have to get whole "new" clock?
CDV 1974