News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Eldorado

Started by CSM, September 21, 2015, 11:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSM

Are all 1957 convertibles the Biarritz?

Walter Youshock

No.  All Biarritz are convertibles.  There was also the series 62 convertible that had the same interior design as the coupe De ville.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CSM

Ok what is the difference between the 62 and the 70. I apologize for my ignorance towards the cadillacs but I found a very nice 1957 convertible with a decent price. Every one I find online for sale is a Biarritz.

Walter Youshock

The 70 series is the Eldorado  Brougham sedan.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CSM

This is suppose to be a 1957 Eldorado convertible which is very nice. price is in mid 40's. It is a single carb.

Dan LeBlanc

This is one of the most common mistakes sellers make when listing a Cadillac convertible for sale.  Not all Cadillac convertibles are Eldorados.  You have the Series 62 Convertible and the Eldorado convertible.  Just because it is a convertible does not make it an Eldorado.  Attached are two 1957 Cadillac convertibles.  The white car is a Series 62 Convertible and the blue car is an Eldorado.  There is also a significant price difference between the two.  The term Biarritz was used on the Eldorado convertible in 1957 and the term Seville was used on the Eldorado hard top. 

This continued until the early 1960's when the base convertible (Series 62) became officially known as the Deville convertible and the Eldorado wore Biarritz badging for the last time in 1961 when it was simplified to Eldorado in 1962.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

CSM

I appreciate all the info. You have me second guessing myself at the moment so I am going to take another look and get a picture for you guys.

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

Despite the low production of the Eldorado Biarritz, today it is more rare to see a series 62 convertible.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CSM

This is a series 62. Its been sitting for years. Everything looks decent I am trying to load pictures bare with me. maybe I can get you opinions.

CSM

CSM

CSM

CSM

CSM

Walter Youshock

Perry Mason drove a black one in the first season of the show.  Frank Sinatra drove one in the 1959 movie "A Hole in the Head".  Both are great sources to see the model in action.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bill Young

The red car your photos show is a 1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible with optional gold grill and optional gold sabre spoke wheels. Not a common car at all. However this is where things get more sticky. You mentioned a $40,000.00 asking price. Personally my BEST advice is to spend a couple hundred dollars and have the car professionally appraised by a recognized antique and classic car appraiser. You are talking about investing a lot of money , does it not make sense to be sure of the actual appraised value and any possible faults the car may or may not have? No matter how many photos you show us we cannot see the inside story. We have your best interests at heart. Sincerely

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

59-in-pieces

B.,
I didn't see a mention of $40,000, but if it were a Biarritz - jump on it.
But since it is not a Biarritz, and only a convertible, and taking the liberty of translating Bill's  comments to 25 words or less - MAY BE TOO MUCH.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cadillac Jack 82

Is it me or is that grill too bright?  I too have the gold grill for my 1957 but I've seen some posts that mention the correct gold color.  Anyone wish to chime in on this?  I plan to get mine replated sometime early next year when $$ becomes available.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper