News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1930 V16 Madame X

Started by Johnny Dee, October 12, 2015, 07:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Dee

I need to speak with someone familiar with running the V16 and am looking for a mechanic in the southern Wisconsin area, preferably Madison. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Cummings

I'm not a mechanic in the southern Wisconsin area, but I have some familiarity with 1930 V-16s.  What's up?

Chris Cummings

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Johnny,
It looks like a real nice coupe. However... it's not a Madame X. I suggest your obtain a copy of Roy Schneiders book, V16 motorcars. It shows all the body styles.
HTH,
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Johnny Dee

What am I missing here Bob? I didn't post a pic so I am wondering what you saw. I guess I'm not making a claim that it is or isn't a Madame X, I'm just repeating what I've been told. Why do you say it isn't? I'm all ears with anything you can tell me.

JD

Johnny Dee

Chris, Being unfamiliar with the engine I am wondering about any idiosyncrasies it may have. For example, is there a suggested or preferred setting for "spark" and/or "choke" for starting a cold engine...hot engine? Or, is it just by feel? Also, while driving the car different speeds, does the spark need to be advanced or retarded regularly? Anything you can share regarding this car/engine would be welcome.

JD   

Chris Cummings

Hi Joe,

I'm unfamiliar with the disassembled roadster you're talking about, but would love to know more. 

Best regards,

Chris

Chris Cummings

Hi JD,

The spark control on these cars is generally not used.  The car came with a crank, and it is possible to start the engine using that crank, but I've never done so.  In that case, you would pull out the spark knob (retarding it) before engaging the crank to make sure that the engine did not kick back (and injure you).  In practice, the crank was generally used only when setting the timing.  The 1932 and later Cadillacs have no provision for hand cranking, and the 1932 manual invites persons needing to time the engine to jack up a rear wheel with the transmission in gear, and turn the wheel to get the engine to the right position.

If the carburetors are set right and the point and plug gaps are correct, the choke shouldn't be needed unless it's cold outside.  When the choke is used, the manual advises that it be disengaged as soon after starting as the engine will allow (and run smoothly).  The shop manual has instructions for setting the timing, synchronizing the timing of both sides of the engine, adjusting the carburetors, and synchronizing them, too.  If your car is the one I think it is, it was restored by an absolute expert in V-16s.  Unless someone has changed the settings or adjustments since the restoration, everything should be right.

I hope that helps,

Chris

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: pilot 2 on October 13, 2015, 09:29:30 AM
What am I missing here Bob? I didn't post a pic so I am wondering what you saw. I guess I'm not making a claim that it is or isn't a Madame X, I'm just repeating what I've been told. Why do you say it isn't? I'm all ears with anything you can tell me.

JD
Your car was pictured & the body style listed on the auction results that Eric posted. It's a 4376 coupe. They made 90 of them.
It is not a Madame X. Be careful repeating "buzz" or hype words that people tell you. Many people have no idea what they're talking about.  You need to be the expert on your car. That V16 book I suggested will bring you up to speed real fast. Also, a V16 expert, Chris Cummings has vast knowledge.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Madam X models featured a raked windshield (angled rearward) with single piece glass.

Acc to Walter MP McCall, "True Madam X Cadillac carried Fleetwood Series 4100 designation."

**Is this the car?

http://www.rmsothebys.com/hf15/hershey/lots/1930-cadillac-v-16-two-passenger-coupe-by-fleetwood/1077482

Description clearly stated the car is not an official Madam X style but does bear some similarities.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Johnny Dee

Thank you Eric, Chris and Bob. Your clarifications and comments are very helpful. We ARE all talking about the same car. Any other comments are welcome.

JD

Chris Cummings

JD,

You should check out this link:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1930_Cadillac_V16_VVI.pdf

It's the information kit posted by the GM heritage center for the 1930 V-16, and it includes the owners manual and other interesting and useful documents.

It makes for entertaining reading as well.

Chris

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

veesixteen

"Madame X" sixteens ALL were 4-door cars ... no coupes, no convertibles.
Early "Madame X" cars have an almost vertical, split-V windshield and were built in Pennsylvania; these are rare; the remainder have the flat, slanting windshield and were built in Detroit.
Some V-16 coupes are said to carry the flat, "Madame X" windshield; I'm OK with that assessment.

Check out this "Cadillac Database" page for all you ever wanted to know about "Madame X" V-16s:

http://cadillacdatabase.com/Dbas_txt/V6fl4100.htm

Our resident expert on V-16 Cadillacs is CLC member, Chris Cummings; he has been of invaluable help me in keeping up-to-date the V-16 survivors pages in the Club's "Cadillac Database". He has one of these and is eager to help any members needing "inside information" about this super-car.

Original factory photos of "Madame X" V-16s are attached. The last one is NOT a true "Madame X" ... but does have the so-called "Madame X" windshield.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Jeff Wilk

Anybody see the American Pickers this week where they found the very first and prototype Madame X when it was still a V-8?  Amazing

Jeff W
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Jeff........I'll watch it tonight....

Hard to believe these really rare cars are still hiding out there..

This is season 20 Episode 10!

Has this show been on that long?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Jeff Wilk

Correct Mike. The Mysterious Madame X episode is Season 20 Episode 10.

Jeff W
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

rwchatham CLC 21892

There was a big discussion on the aaca site about the pickers and the car they bought . They seem to think it’s not a madame x car and that they paid to much .
R. Waligora

veesixteen

Quote from: Johnny Dee on October 12, 2015, 07:28:04 PM
I need to speak with someone familiar with running the V16 and am looking for a mechanic in the southern Wisconsin area, preferably Madison. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For info: there are no 2-door "Madame X" cars (all are 4-door CLOSED cars; a few have a "landaulet" roof treatment, i.e. roof folds back on rear-seat passenger area).
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"