News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Is 61-62cadillacs.com Down For The Count?!?!?

Started by 1961CadillacConvertible, October 18, 2015, 06:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1961CadillacConvertible

The 61-62cadillacs.com site went down about a month ago and I emailed the link and got a response from b@coopercruisers.com that he was going to work on it the next weekend.  Today I went to the site and it is still down and I sent another email and this time the email could not be delivered.

Does anyone know about this?

Is there any way to help?

Would be sad to loose all of the valuable information from that site.

Bill

Caddyholic

I have texted The administrator Bryan Jobe about it numerous times and this is the last text

"Found out the problems, trying to get hosting company to restore the database as my backups were not complete. Find time when I can but there is a chance it might not make it back. We'll see"

I don't think he has the time to deal with it. Someone else may need to pick up the ball.
I will text him tomorrow and get another update.

I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

russ austin

R.Austin

Dan LeBlanc

We're all left scratching our heads.

I think the biggest issue is he's trying to avoid starring over again and losing 5 years worth of posts. That said, my concern is that the group will lose momentum and take awhile to recover if we wait too long. Starting from scratch and losing everything may be better than having nothing.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

I agree with you, Dan. It used to be a great community and should not simply fade away.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

62 driver

My son Mike (a software engineer) is in contact with Bryan and helping him out when needed to get the site back up.  They are trying to save all the past posts but unless Bryan can get the host company to find the lost data we are out of luck. Bryan was forced to upgrade his system and over wrote the old.  That lead to the data lost.  Let's hope the host can find the data and history so we don't loose 5 years of good information.  Dave. (62 driver) 
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

dpmeloan

Hang in there Bryan.  Great site that is invaluable and appreciate your hard work,  Technology is fantastic until it doesn't work then can become a real headache.  Thanks again, your followers will support you I am sure.  Doug 

Bill Young

I was a member of that site for several years. Great site , great people. I do hope it is not lost.

Bill Young

Doug Scarrow

I believe that even if all previous posts were lost it still possible to start over. It  started with no posts or documents and the document section could easily be built back via member uploads. I have most of the factory info on my computor.   I miss the fellowship and there is much to be learned from each other via the forum. You might be surprised at the active support that the members could offer if given the opportunity.
Doug Scarrow

Chris_Oz

Quote from: Doug Scarrow on November 02, 2015, 05:51:07 PM
I believe that even if all previous posts were lost it still possible to start over. It  started with no posts or documents and the document section could easily be built back via member uploads. I have most of the factory info on my computor.   I miss the fellowship and there is much to be learned from each other via the forum. You might be surprised at the active support that the members could offer if given the opportunity.

I am with you on that, 5 years ago there was nothing, Bryan built it into a great place of knowledge and friendship, I have made some great friends there, enjoyed many hours reading others stories and sharing small areas of my life with the crew there.
I know that my car would not be on the road, going like it is without the help, advice and inspiration of the 61-62 Forum.

First and foremost, full respect and rights must go to Bryan Jobe, he has the say on what happens to the site, if he is going to try and save it, I say we should support him in any way we can, I am happy to donate $$$$ to help if required.

If it gets to the point where Bryan is not in a position to continue for whatever reason, I would like to see a forum dedicated to the 61-62 up and running, but only with Bryans blessing, I don't want to step on any toes, too much respect for the man to do that.

I just know that not being able to check in and see what everyone in the 61-62 world has been up to has me feeling a little lost.

Bryan Jobe

Hello all,

Sorry for the loss of the 61-62 site...here is a quick backstory on what has transpired.

Almost 2 months ago now my hosting company, GoDaddy, upgraded their servers and I missed the notice about it possibly effecting older software running on their servers.  So on that date the site went dead with the ‘database error’.  I tried to work out what happened over the next couple of days with GoDaddy and VBulletin (the forum software).  What came to light during all of this is that my backups of the site were not complete and part of the site database is now missing. This database contains all of the usernames, passwords, posts, images, etc.  I have much of the uploaded information still such as manuals, how-to’s, and such.  I bought an upgrade to the forum software in order to try and get the site back up and running with the new server requirements.
Unfortunately right now I have about zero time for this due to work, family commitments and a house renovation project.  Also, I have somewhat lost the passion for upkeeping the forum.
I think some of the information for the site is retreviable, I just don’t have the manpower, knowledge or time to dedicate to the cause. I’m willing to give anyone full access to the site, hosting company, etc so they can see what is salvageable.

My apologies for letting this happen, but was just cruising along since it was all working so well.

Please email me at jobe.bryanemail addresses not permitted if you think you can help save what has been lost.

Bryan Jobe
1962 Sedan Deville project
1962 Triple Maize convertible project

Chris_Oz

Quote from: Bryan Jobe on November 12, 2015, 12:47:37 PM
Hello all,

Sorry for the loss of the 61-62 site...here is a quick backstory on what has transpired.

Almost 2 months ago now my hosting company, GoDaddy, upgraded their servers and I missed the notice about it possibly effecting older software running on their servers.  So on that date the site went dead with the ‘database error’.  I tried to work out what happened over the next couple of days with GoDaddy and VBulletin (the forum software).  What came to light during all of this is that my backups of the site were not complete and part of the site database is now missing. This database contains all of the usernames, passwords, posts, images, etc.  I have much of the uploaded information still such as manuals, how-to’s, and such.  I bought an upgrade to the forum software in order to try and get the site back up and running with the new server requirements.
Unfortunately right now I have about zero time for this due to work, family commitments and a house renovation project.  Also, I have somewhat lost the passion for upkeeping the forum.
I think some of the information for the site is retreviable, I just don’t have the manpower, knowledge or time to dedicate to the cause. I’m willing to give anyone full access to the site, hosting company, etc so they can see what is salvageable.

My apologies for letting this happen, but was just cruising along since it was all working so well.

Please email me at jobe.bryanemail addresses not permitted if you think you can help save what has been lost.

Bryan Jobe

Hi Bryan,

Great to hear from you again, hope you are well.

First up I would like to thank you for all of the work, time a money you have put into the 61-62 forums, without you and the great crew there, my car and many others, would not be the same.

I am glad it was not a health issue for you or your family that caused the forum to wind up, so its all good.

I know nothing about web hosting or forum hosting etc, so how much of the old info would be usable on a new forum I have no idea.

I am however lucky enough to have a brother in law, who is a great guy and also own a very large IT support/web hosting  company based in Sydney, he has just about any resource you can want regarding IT stuff at hand.

I would like to take some time to talk to him about setting up and hosting a forum for the 61-62 crew.

I will email you for some more details.

Before I go too far, from the former members here, would there be an interest in getting a site going again?

I feel the registry also has a place.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks again Bryan, I appreciate everything you have done.

Chris

Dan LeBlanc

Hey Chris

I think it should be kept going. If you have the resources to resurrect it, you have my support.
Dan LeBlanc

russ austin

R.Austin

I have no idea of webhosting or the administration of a forum. But I have always enjoyed participating in this great community and it was a huge help with my first vintage car. If there is a way to contribute to its resurrection please tell me.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

willits

I also don't have the skill set for the webhosting or administration but would like to contribute to its resurrection.   
Peter
Peter Willits
1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst
2008 STS-V http://bit.ly/1O6CI3P

Dan LeBlanc

Guys. I received an email this morning from another Cadillac forum this morning offering to create and host a section for us on their forum at no cost to us. Stay tuned for details,  as I think this could be a great partnership.
Dan LeBlanc

Walter Youshock

These wonderful cars--and those who own, appreciate and desire them, deserve their own site and, I would hope, a CLC Chapter.

I browsed the old forum many times and was impressed by the knowledge and friendship expressed there.  True Cadillac people of the highest order, even that one with the '49...  ESPECIALLY  that one with the '49.

Many contributors there are or have become some of the most prolific voices here.  I would support them in all their endeavors.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks to everyone who have shown their concern about the status of the forum.

I received an email this morning offering our official 1961-62 Cadillac Owners Group to be hosted at no charge as part of the Mid Century Cadillac Forum.  We will have our own dedicated section over there with all of the same sections we had on the old website.  Bryan has given me the go-ahead to work with Lou to bring this back to life.

Unfortunately, we will have lost our 5 years worth of posts on the previous platform, but I hope to work with Lou on the re-establishment of the members only factory documents section.  Thankfully, our registry was hosted on another server, and that was not lost.  The new forum will eventually link to that as it always has.

I for one am very grateful to Bryan for his contributions since day one, as I'm sure we all are.  It is understandable that life changes and sometimes we simply cannot accommodate our old commitments anymore.  I am also very grateful to Lou for offering to help us out. 

Lou will be working over the next couple of days setting up our new home.  Once complete, the official www.61-62cadillacs.com that we have been using for the past few years will be redirected to the new site.

I will be emailing members I have the contact information for to spread the word when the site is back up and running and will invite them to spread the word.

For any further discussion on the future of our Owner's Group and how things are progressing, I invite you to contact me directly via email.  You can reach me at danwitha61fleetwoodemail addresses not permitted since this is not a CLC-related site that we are discussing.

Skegs Rule!
Dan LeBlanc