News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Garage Lighting

Started by lou-q, November 17, 2015, 11:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

Thanks,
I'm building the garage so I know how strong the 6 inch concrete floor is. My problem with a 2 post was that I'm not sure where the lift is going to end up and having radiant heat it would be hard to provide space for drilling without hitting the Pex heat tubing.
So that is why the four post. I don't mind using a jack. The lift I'm looking into is the BendPak HD-9XW with the RJ-45 bridge jack.
The whole garage will have drywall so I'm providing plenty of elec boxes on the ceiling for flexibility in hanging lights.
Thanks again,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

55 cadi

The use of a 4 post can be used for all work except tires.....

Also think about the weight of what you are working on?   Tires are not light, if you are not physically able to lift a tire that high into the air or take down from up high, then you will need to use a jack anyway, not to mention safer being close to ground.

And I mentioned about the garage floor is simply because not all garage floors are made the same, different states and cities have different regulations and unless you know or have the blueprints to see how it was done you can have serious problems, or if you are the one putting down the cement then you can make it better than city code. Example...California and earthquakes, rainy land that makes for softer soil, some land I have worked on that was on reclaimed land that eventually had large cracks in garage flooring.

Remember every city has different codes for concrete install, they assume it will be for a car or two and not to have a top heavy post there, some rules for install I see make no sense but that's the law of the city.

I was in construction and know a thing or two about that application.

I'm just letting people know about possibility of what can happen and what to look for with that type
of installation. Not everyone knows to think of those things.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Gene Beaird

Quote from: 55 cadi on November 19, 2015, 10:23:50 AM

<SNIP>

Many 4-post lift vendors offer jacks that set on trays that can be slid between the lift deck rails.  Extra cost, yes, but it can facilitate getting the car off it's suspension. 

Additionally, you don't have to lift the car overhead to pull the tires.  Get it up so that the tire is at about waist height, and you don't have to bend over to pull the tire. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

bcroe

Quote from: Gene Beaird
Additionally, you don't have to lift the car overhead to pull the tires.  Get it up so that the tire is at about waist height, and you don't have to bend over to pull the tire. 

That is what happened here Tuesday.  After recycling the old tires, blasting & painting the
rims, 4 new tires have me ready for winter.  And checked over the brakes.  They are heavy
to lift that high, though.  Bruce Roe

lou-q

Here are some pictures of our progress.
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

lou-q

Quote from: 55 cadi on November 19, 2015, 10:23:50 AM

Also think about the weight of what you are working on?   Tires are not light, if you are not physically able to lift a tire that high into the air or take down from up high, then you will need to use a jack anyway, not to mention safer being close to ground.

And I mentioned about the garage floor is simply because not all garage floors are made the same, different states and cities have different regulations and unless you know or have the blueprints to see how it was done you can have serious problems, or if you are the one putting down the cement then you can make it better than city code. Example...California and earthquakes, rainy land that makes for softer soil, some land I have worked on that was on reclaimed land that eventually had large cracks in garage flooring.

Remember every city has different codes for concrete install, they assume it will be for a car or two and not to have a top heavy post there, some rules for install I see make no sense but that's the law of the city.

I was in construction and know a thing or two about that application.

I'm just letting people know about possibility of what can happen and what to look for with that type
of installation. Not everyone knows to think of those things.

Jason
I'm a builder (mostly concrete in the Florida Keys) and what I enjoy the most about building at our farm in Indiana is that this county doesn't have a building department.  The only permits that are required are septic and drainfield.  I am building everything to code or better.  I'm even using conduit for the wiring (no Romex here). 

Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

bcroe

Quote from: 55 cadiThe use of a 4 post can be used for all work except tires..  Jason

Well how about the things I just finished on my 79 Eldo?  Brake inspection, pad/lining replacement,
caliper replacement, wheel bearing replacement, brake hose replacement, wheel bearing greasing. 
The fuel and brake lines that I had to replace run along the outside frame rails, so they would be
covered by drive on ramps.  I replaced one half shaft, shock absorbers. 

Also, swapping a rear axle, done many.  A drive shaft comes out easier if the wheels are extended. 
Bruce Roe

gary griffin

I went with a Bend Pac, my criteria eliminated most most the others. I am 6'-2" and wanted sufficient clearance to walk around without ducking. I wanted a lift as wide as possible for my trucks and cars. I wanted portability and also purchased the Bend Pac casters. I than added 4 lights under the lift and can unplug them when raising or lowering the lift.

My biggest mistake was adding a guest suite over 3 bays of the 4 car garage. I could add another lift if  if the guest suite was only over 2 bays.

As to working on the cars there is a beam with rollers and jack you can add that will lift the car if you want to work on the brakes or wheels. I have not done that though. I keep plywood between the lift runners for storage of long items.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

lou-q

Hi Gary,
I have been leaning towards the Bend Pak also, the HD9XW  (extra wide, long and higher lift) and the 4500 lb jack.
I found out that Northern Tool will ship it for free and without tax to this state.
I'm also putting in guest quarters upstairs but the whole garage ceiling will be 14'6" so I will have room for extra lifts if ever needed.
We won't be finishing the garage until we come back in the Spring. As it is we should have headed home (Fla.Keys) last month but wanted to be here until they dried in the roof and walls so I can run the electrical conduit before they do the insulation.
We are not looking forward to the forecasted temperatures for this area this weekend (13 with the wind).
We are originally from the Chicago area, but Fla has been our home for almost 40 years.
Thanks for your input.
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

CaddyShackPA

Speaking of floor strength... I hope mine is adequate:

If not we will have a sinking feeling.

Re: lighting, for my new storage building I used the 54W HO 8' 4-lamp fixtures from HD with 3500K tubes and am very happy. Lots of current draw but they'll see little use.

Best regards,
Jeff

J. Papciak   #23864     
'59 Coupe DeVille
'69 Eldorado  
'72 Coupe DeVille  
'77 Seville
‘81 Fleetwood Brougham  
‘89 Brougham 
'92 Sedan DeVille  
‘95 Fleetwood  
'02 STS   '10 CTS-V   ‘17 CTS