News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Mirage on ebay

Started by Jeff Wilk, April 21, 2016, 08:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

So I could not get to the GN in Vegas this year and sure missed it....so I figured I'd use the funds that would have gone to that trip (and a little more) to roll the dice "Vegas Style" anyway on something I stumbled across with only a couple of hours notice.........I know I know I know........BUYER BEWARE.....I get that......but sometimes it's a gut thing.......Sooooooooo.........Anybody here had the chance to inspect the 76 Mirage that's been for sale on the AACA Forum since January of this year, and then on ebay twice since March due to a canceled sale?  Was only listed as a 1976 Cadillac DeVille.  Car is from an Estate, and is located in WA state, and it sold yesterday........to me.......

Anybody out there with an original copy of the Cadillac Brochure they want to part with from Traditional Coachworks for these conversions and the Station Wagons?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Cadillac-DeVille-/231912968260?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=1nRkI0Hg1uucTYR0%252BCPJI0J3fXs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Jeff.....not a high roller....Wilk.....usually   :-\ :-[
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations Jeff,

Some times you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Now you can enjoy it.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Congratulations and good luck with it.

Any immediate plans for reconditioning/restoration or just plain enjoy as is?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

It looks to be in pretty good shape in the photos and the description sounded honest.    If it was close to me and I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket I may have done it too. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Nice score!

The minimal repairs needed are to be expected.  All things considered it looks great for a 76 that has been used.

The bit of rust under the top can be repaired as mentioned in the ebay listing.

Enjoy!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

gary griffin

I think you made a great buy Jeff.  I live in the next burg to Tacoma and may have bid on it as I like it that much. If I can assist you in any way regarding shipping let me know.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Wilk

Thanks everyone. I did speak to the collectors sister who is handling the estate. Say they were going tondrive it home to Wisonsin if it did not sell. Sounds very legit description wise.   Now to arrange for shipping which I have no idea about or on how to get the title in my possession.

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

76eldo

Jeff,

I would take Gary up on his offer to eyeball the car.  At some point you will need to pay for the car in full.
A cashier's check used to be the gold standard but these days many folks want the money wired.

Get a formal bill of sale indicating the make and model, VIN number, purchase price and date.  Have it state that upon receipt of payment in full they will send you the title.  If it's in the deceased person's name you may need some documentation from the executor and a copy of the death cert.

Personally, I would just accept a signature on the title and if it calls for a notarization, have them get it notarized.  I think you should get the bill of sale, signed and scanned, and a copy of the title front and back prior to full payment.

I find that people are SO much more agreeable to your terms before you hand over all of the money.

I would ask them to Fedex or UPS the title directly to you.

It can take time to find a good shipper.  If Gary has space maybe he can take the car and hold it until it's picked up.

I think you have my phone number if you want to call.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Wilk

Thanks Brian.  That all makes a lot of sense.

I have contacted the sellers tonight with the below and to gauge how soon the car needs to get picked up.

Gary, that is a VERY kind offer.  I will let you know how the next discussion goes with the seller tomorrow.

Thanks for all the positive wishes guys.......plan right now is to "refresh" it and enjoy it.....maybe do a more full restoration a few years down the road, and then.........?

Jeff

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

TJ Hopland

Someone mentioned if the title is in the name of the deceased.   The rules there can vary state to state and depending on who you get at the DMV.  In the past a copy of the power of attorney paperwork was fine but last time I had one they would not accept a copy, had to be the stamped original.  I checked with a few other offices and they all said that has always been the rule its just a lot of agents apparently didn't know that or care to enforce it. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Wilk

Update here guys.....

I followed the most excellent Brians advice and asked for all of this documentation faxed to me for review. Fax came in from the local Bank in WA and all looks clean and legit and in order. Apparently this is the last car of a large Cadillac collectors estate. This lovely lady has it all in order. $500 deposit was done through Paypal and they are willing to do Paypal for the balance or a bank to bank transfer.

The most awesome Gary Griffin from nearby there to Tacoma WA offered to drive over and validate the car for me and I gladly accepted. That will happen over the next couple of days.  What an awesome gentleman Gary is!!!!!! 

What an unbelievable club we have here!!!!!!

Thank you to each and everyone of you for all the years of advice and encouragement. I hope my input along the way has helped others as well!!!!

Jeff Wilk

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

STS05lg

Jeff congratulations on your purchase. 3000 miles was to far for me to come to purchase a car. I have wanted one sense I saw a new one in a Cadillac showroom in Scottsdale in the summer of 76. Unfortunately there are not to many here on the East Coast. There is a wonderful one in Point Pleasant West Virginia. Hope to someday see it for sale. Again congratulations on your purchase. All the great members of the Forum are a great resource. Best, Lynn

gross707

A shipper in that part of the world and with whom I have had two satisfactory dealings is "4 Corners" Shipping.  They're of course on the web.
Gerald
Gerald Ross

Jeff Wilk

Thank you.  I will check them out.  Good to have options and Ive found that some carriers wont go that far northwest even though they clsim to be nationwide.

Jeff

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

bcroe

I think, I spotted fuel injection on at least one of those cars.  Bruce Roe

Jeff Wilk

Thanks Bruce. I read someplace that 6 of the 204 of the Mirage built in 1975-1976 had EFI and 100 of them had the side golf door!  Not sure what this one has for fuel delivery just yet.......

Jeff

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan