News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Holes under the back seat?

Started by mistertudball, May 17, 2016, 04:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistertudball

Can anyone think of reasons why there are non-rust (perfectly round) holes on both sides under the back seat of a '73 Eldorado convertible?  I saw them the first time years ago when I took out the back seat to troubleshoot the top motor, and most recently when replacing a drive cable.  The car never sees rain so I wasn't too concerned, but I body-puttied them all closed anyway before putting the seat back.  I didn't take pictures, but would say there were probably four to five on holes on each side.  Seat belts are all there.
David Bartosic CLC19619

mistertudball

Is this a stumper?  I'm surprised that 80 folks have viewed my question and nobody has a theory.  I knew the previous owner, and can't imagine him drilling holes under the back seat for any reason.  But there they were. 
David Bartosic CLC19619

Jeff Wilk

Dave, these are very common in many many cars.  If you have open holes however, you are missing the rubber/plastic plugs that go in them.  These were/are there for drainage purposes either from leaks, open windows, or from "the need" to hose out the interior of a car after "a spill".  If you have a convertible, I'd say that the previous owner had made much use of them and decided to simply leave the plugs out.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

mistertudball

Thanks, Jeff.  I sorta figured they might be uncapped drain holes.  It's a bit disconcerting to think a PO had a big enough leak to take all the caps off and not put them back.  Or maybe the line worker just forgot to put them in in the first place!  Early 70s quality control and all.  No floorpan rust but the seat bottom springs look pretty rusty so I'm guessing the holes have been open for a very long time.
David Bartosic CLC19619

59-in-pieces

David,
Although I have no specific knowledge of your year car, in so far as older cars - 59 - 57, etc. the rubber plugs in the floor pans - Interior, front and back and the trunk - were used to help minimize vibration - drum head - noise while driving - see pics.
At least with the cars I know, reproductions are available.
However, the originals were made of rubber and there are replacements - more shallow - which are made of plastic, and don't grip well(pop out easily) - IMHO, not advisable.
And, you need to make sure that you get the right size - diameter - on my cars there are several sizes.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

mistertudball

Well I learned something new today; always a good thing.  But whether they were there for vibration or noise issues, they're puttied over now!  No rubber replacements needed.  Thanks!
David Bartosic CLC19619