News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Door Skins from USA Parts Supply, '76 Eldorado Convertible

Started by joeinbcs, August 08, 2016, 09:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

I'm considering what to do about my door panels, which have been repaired in kind of a half-assed way.
As I see it, the options are:
1.  Find some good used ones (not sure how realistic this is)
2.  Buy the vacuum formed replacements offered by OPGI, and maybe other vendors (I would have to paint them white)
3.  Buy the "door skins" sold by USA Parts Supply (these come in white, and an be ordered in other colors).
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the door skins?
They're on page 4 of the catalog here:  http://www.usapartssupply.com/uploads/USA_PARTS_1971-1985_Cadillac_Catalog.pdf
Thanks for any input...Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

cwbbear

I had the door panels cracked on a 69 I had and justdashes in CA did a good job.  I am not sure if with shipping having them restored would save you much though.  http://www.justdashes.com/?s=panel  - they just might be another option to research and get yourself paralyzed in options. 

TJ Hopland

I would be curious to hear from anyone that has the plastic ones for a few years now how they are holding up?   Do they easily scratch?   Are they easy to keep clean?   Somehow I imagine them easily scratched and not easy to clean.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

joeinbcs

Just FYI, I called USA Parts and was told that their door skins still have to be covered in vinyl...This kind of defeats the purpose in my view.  I thought they were a finishing product that attached to the existing door, but apparently not.
As for "Just Dashes", I know they do good work, but they can't reproduce the door panels in the correct grain.
Maybe I'm cheap, but I'm not paying thousands (literally...I have a recent quote) for something that still isn't correct.
So, I guess the OPGI product or an excellent used set (if they exist), or having a local upholsterer do the job...incorrectly, but a lot cheaper than JD.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

The Tassie Devil(le)

A friend here just purchased a pair of these plastic "skins" off ebay, and was under the impression that it was just a simple cover, and would fix his problems.

When they arrived, he soon found out that they were a waste of money.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, they simply cover the original armrest, and are very thin.   

Haven't tried to use them, as I am pretty sure that they would break the first time one rested their elbow on them with any pressure.

Remember that the underlying original arm rest is damaged and doesn't offer any real support where the elbow sits, which is the reason for the replacement piece in the first place.

Plus, the ends of the cover could be easily caught as there is no covering in that area when the door is open.

We contacted the seller, and were advised that the replacement cover needed to be completely glued into place, after being painted.   There was no mention of any other need for covering it with vinyl, etc.   Just paint.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

What circumstance would these be ideal for?   So far I can't think of one. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

V63

I'm going to do a pair of those panels with a 'sewn seam', probably using genuine leather (white) with colored thread (emerald)?  I tried to illustrate in a drawing the seam location.

Original...no,

but would look closer to that of a craftsman than the cheap molded plastic look. At a fraction of the cost!

Your panels look like very good cores...i would carefully remove that 'patch' if you can? And then recover

Ill post an image upon completion...but it's not an active project.

Scot Minesinger

I would try for a good used set, at least get some quotes and see what they run.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

joeinbcs

Quote from: V63 on August 08, 2016, 11:17:02 PM
I'm going to do a pair of those panels with a 'sewn seam', probably using genuine leather (white) with colored thread (emerald)?  I tried to illustrate in a drawing the seam location.

Original...no,

but would look closer to that of a craftsman than the cheap molded plastic look. At a fraction of the cost!

Your panels look like very good cores...i would carefully remove that 'patch' if you can? And then recover

Ill post an image upon completion...but it's not an active project.

Thanks for that.  I was kind of thinking of this idea, and you've saved me the trouble of figuring out where to seam the material.  I was thinking that a luggage, or I think its called a "French" seam would look good.  I will have my guy use white thread, as I don't want to draw attention to the non-original modification.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

LenInLA

Joe, I have a copy of your 76 Eldorado- also in greenbrier firemist.  The driver side panel has awful cracks. As a stopgap measure I purchased leather patches on Amazon and covered the cracks. Frankly, it looked so good, I'm even reconsidering further restoration.

Leonard Grayver

joeinbcs

Quote from: LenInLA on August 09, 2016, 03:29:20 PM
Joe, I have a copy of your 76 Eldorado- also in greenbrier firemist.  The driver side panel has awful cracks. As a stopgap measure I purchased leather patches on Amazon and covered the cracks. Frankly, it looked so good, I'm even reconsidering further restoration.

Leonard Grayver

Love to see a pic!
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

joeinbcs

I've decided to have the existing door panels recovered, using a French stitch along the edge of the armrest. There's a '74 Eldorado on EBay that was done like this. While not original, it looks pretty nice..better, actually than the original.
As for the upper portions, here's a pic for anyone who may wonder exactly what you find when you take the thing apart.
The shrunken vinyl cover can be removed without damaging the foam beneath if you're very careful, and recovering will be easy.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432