News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

First and last white wall tires?

Started by TJ Hopland, August 24, 2016, 02:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

So what was the first year for white wall tires?    And the last?    And was Cadillac the first to have em or the last to get rid of em?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

V63

The Earliest Tires started out white...more of a natural rubber. They were quick to crack and fail, carbon was added to protect and strenghthen them.

TJ Hopland

So did the white wall start out because at first they only strengthened the tread area? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Philippe M. Ruel

As early as in brass era, Cadillacs could have black or white tires.

White wall tires were standard or optional on Cadillacs well into the 1990s (e.g. from 1992-95 : standard on Broughams, optional on Eldorados, n/a on Sevilles).
1952 60 Special in France.

jsanford

The 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis was the last American car with white wall tires as STANDARD equipment, the Town Car of the same year had them as an option.

I think the 1999 Deville DHS was the last Cadillac to have white walls as standard equipment.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

TJ Hopland

Was that 99 the Vouge tire that also had the gold stripe?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

There was no DHS in '99. D'Elegance was the mid-level DeVille 1997-1999. Both the base DeVille & DeVille d'Elegance left the factory with narrow WW tires 97 - 99.

DeVille Touring Sedan (DTS), STS & ETC always standard with blackwall. 

83-85 Eldorado Touring Coupe had white letter tires.

Uniroyal Royal Seal Goldstripe tires standard on RWD Brougham only from 1988-1992.

No FWD model ever supplied with Goldstripe tires. Vogue goldstripe were aftermarket only, dealer installed in some cases.

I have been searching web for factory catalog of 2000 DeVilles but I have been unsuccessful. If no WW tires appear on any model in 2000, would suggest 1999 was the final year for factory WW in Cadillac.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute