News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'49 convertible trunk carpet replacement

Started by OK, July 29, 2016, 03:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK

I need a new carpet for the trunk of my '49 Cadillac convertible.  Does anyone have recommendations of where I should purchase a kit for that?  The more it is pre-assembled and leaves less room for me to mess it up on installation, the better. ;)  Thanks as always, either for responses here or as private messages.
O. Kerr

Jay Friedman

Orin,

Try Jenkins Restorations in N. Carolina or SMS Upholstery in Oregon.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

49 Convertible

SMS IN OREGON IS A GOOD BET. The material should be a grey with a dark blue thread...it is NOT TAN as in earlier thru 1947 cars.  The cardboard is also grey with a kind of mottled effect with grey vinyl binding.  The material is on the floor of the trunk as a separate piece and the hump on each side is a separate piece as is the piece that goes to the rear of the seat above the trunl floor pan.  The 4  body mounting bolts with thick flat washers (cad plated)  go thru the material with material under the washer and bolt  to be 100% correct.  The trunk lining was installed in the body BEFORE the body was mounted to the frame.

Herman
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

jdemerson

Quote from: 49 Convertible on August 08, 2016, 09:30:11 PM
SMS IN OREGON IS A GOOD BET. The material should be a grey with a dark blue thread...it is NOT TAN as in earlier thru 1947 cars.  The cardboard is also grey with a kind of mottled effect with grey vinyl binding.  The material is on the floor of the trunk as a separate piece and the hump on each side is a separate piece as is the piece that goes to the rear of the seat above the trunl floor pan.  The 4  body mounting bolts with thick flat washers (cad plated)  go thru the material with material under the washer and bolt  to be 100% correct.  The trunk lining was installed in the body BEFORE the body was mounted to the frame.

Herman

Is it straightforward to remove the four body mounting bolts, install the material, and re-install the bolts? Any risks in doing that? I'm working on the trunk in my 1952. Thanks.
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Jay Friedman

The 48-49 Authenticity Manual has good photos of the trunk material and the cardboard pieces in the trunk.  A new 3rd edition has just been published.  You can find details on how to buy it elsewhere on this CLC web site. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

dan48

Re 48-49  authenticity manual - 3rd addition. The merchandise section only shows an older edition. Know how to get the current version ?
Dan Lough

Jay Friedman

Go to this web site to buy a manual.  Although the web site shows an image of the cover of the 2nd edition of the Class 13 1948-49 manual, I can assure you that the 3rd edition with a different cover is now being sold.  You can confirm this with Bill Anderson, CLC Tech Director who is in charge of sales. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Tito Sobrinho

Quote from: 49 Convertible on August 08, 2016, 09:30:11 PM

Herman

Herman
I would like to know the trunk carpet colour in the 1948 Cadillac convertible. My 1949 has the '48 configuration where the spare tire lays flat a la Sedanette. The car have 2 strong springs to support the trunk lid when open and not the telescopic support of late '49s.
Thanks, Tito.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Here's some before and after pics of my 53 using the Jenkins kit. Came out pretty good.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

49 Convertible

The same material was used in all the 48 & 49 cars.  On the grey side with dark blue/blackish criss cross lines as stated above.  The 48-49 Authenticity Manual has a picture of the fabric.  SMS in Oregon has the material.  No sewing is involved just cut and glue.
Herman Desser
clc # 19416