News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Converted My 1957 Bat wing air pods from oil to a paper Air filter

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, October 11, 2016, 07:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    I have been running my car for the last 5 years with the original Bat wing air cleaner using the oil system . About 6 weeks ago i was looking into the filter itself and was wondering about the horsehair element inside the pod . They suggest you use Kerosene to clean the element .  You can try to clean it but you can not replace it without destroying the pod .  After  60 years you might think it should be changed . Who knows the condition of that element inside that assembly that can not be opened without destroying it ? That is when i decided to convert to a paper air filter . I did not want to destroy the pods i had .  I was able to pick up a set on ebay at a good price . So i converted them . I chucked up the pods on a lathe and was able to cut away the bottom half exposing the element  . I trimed the pod to a length that would give me a good two inches of filter element. The inside Diameter of the pod itself is about 6.980 inside diameter . I used a wix filter # 42297 that is 7.000 inches on the outside that provided a good snug fit . I backed it up with a  1 inch thick aluminum ring for the filter  to seat on and make the upper seal . When assembled the Bottom of the filter rest on the inside of the oil pan .  I do not know for sure but i think my carbs were starving for air using those 60 year old filter .  Only time will tell . However i think it is better for the engine to breath a little easier  .  I still have the original filters , Somehow i just could not destroy them . I have added a few pictures .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

It's not easy to turn the pods like you did because you cannot apply too much force to the jaws...It seems that you got them without incident. Nice work!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Roger ,
   Thanks for the the compliment . The trick is to use soft jaws machined to the same diameter of the out dimension of the housing and machine a groove  in the jaws to locate and lock the lip of the pod in place .   i have added a few pictures that might explain it better .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Roger Zimmermann

Interesting trick! Without it, I doubt it's possible to machine such sheet metal parts.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Balkie 24172

Roger ,
    Without the groove to retain the part . It would fly out of the chuck .  You would be better off using a hack saw .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha.   I thought there was something totally different with the chuck jaws.   I looked hard at them in the first pictures, and couldn't figure out who would make such wide jaws.

Never heard of "Soft Jaws" but fabricating a set of jaws with the additional width to securely hold the piece is a masterstroke.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Bruce ,
     You take the standard hard jaws out of the chuck and replace them with free machining steel jaws . That gives you the option to custom turn the jaws to meet your requirements . It is like having a custom chuck . after years of turning  in a job shop environment you acquire  a large variety  of jaws for the chuck . The standard  Hardened jaws are very rarely used .
            Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

I was very hesitant to do this , but a 60 year old horse hair  filter has to reach the end of its life cycle at some point . I was really afraid of it deteriorating and ending up in my Carburetors .    Pros and cons  on this subject ?  Does any one else ever question the elements life ? . i do believe the oil bath system is a good  system when working within its life cycle .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS