News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'59 Series 62 Coupe. Superb Original.

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, April 07, 2017, 01:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Just crossed the block at Barrett Jackson Palm Beach FL moments ago.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1959-CADILLAC-SERIES-62--206090

Backstory given: Offered by the grandson of the original owner. Grandson owned since 1977.

$47,000 + 10% buyer fee = $51,700.

Great car but almost no equipment...and color combo...you be the judge. :o
Door mirror is wrong though.

(Beaumont Beige w/ Green Carlisle Cloth & Trim)

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Chuck Patton

Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

INTMD8

Not my (well probably anyone's) favorite color combo but still, what a gorgeous car :)

grandads59

Nice Car and actually the price seems fair considering it is orginal, unless there is something I'm not seeing.
I myself have a 59 Coupe and they were not optioned much.  The only thing you could get was air and that was a basic item on the Coupe De Ville. How can a Cadillac not be great?

J Hartwell

Caddyholic

Quote from: grandads59 on April 07, 2017, 03:15:50 PM
Nice Car and actually the price seems fair considering it is orginal, unless there is something I'm not seeing.
I myself have a 59 Coupe and they were not optioned much.  The only thing you could get was air and that was a basic item on the Coupe De Ville. How can a Cadillac not be great?

J Hartwell

I don't think that's an accurate statement. You could get about any option on a series 62. and air was not standard on a deville. It was even optional on a eldo.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Car is likely a Basic Group A which includes EZ Eye Glass, Radio, Heater, WW tires and Door Guards. Power windows would need to be ordered a separate item on a Series 62 closed body style.

Air conditioning was optional equipment on all 1959 models except the Eldorado Brougham.

With few exceptions, the Series 62 could be ordered with any option available on other models.

I love it. And colors are great. I don't like red cars with red interior or black cars with black interior. This is truly a great looking car and I would be the happiest person on the planet owning it. If it would be a convert it would be well above 150k, so I think this price is rather modest.

Grant Owen

People look closely , repainted engine & inner fenders , after market cheap decals , non original door mirror ,some misalignment of some panels & parts , obvious touch ups . MMMM  OK but not as original as they claim.

Perfection does not exist in any unrestored '59 Cadillac, save for perhaps a couple handful on the planet that rarely surface, if ever.

For all practical purposes, very few of us will come across much better than this in survivor condition.

*I can't see anything wrong with panel fitment. If the passenger door to rear quarter panel is the reason for question, I think it's just the door edge car popping off the lower half of the door. Fairly common.

D.Smith

I'm still puzzled why the commentators of the auction kept saying that the car cost over $11,000 when new. 
Base was $4892 according to my books.  Huh. Must have been a well optioned example.

Garbled "factoids" typical in the heat of auction hype. Should be taken with a grain of salt.

Cadillacs generally fall outside the expertise of most BJ commentators. Were it a '70 Chevelle, they'd know the price of every powertrain combination available - all 85 of them.  ::)

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Eric, you're right about that.  I can't count all the mistaken "facts" that I have heard dispensed by the narrators who comment on the auctions for the TV channels that broadcast them.  This is especially true of 1950s cars -- most of those guys are too young to remember them clearly.

David Greenburg

As for panel or trim fitment, these were often less than perfect from the factory. I had a'59 Fleetwood that I always thought had lousy panel/ trim alignment until I started looking closely at period and even factory photos.  Most of those cars had the same issues.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

kkkaiser

i dont know much, but if i had the dough, the 59 would be my choice,, i just love that big back fin and that front end....it would be my most desired,,