News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1938 CADILLAC ENGINE AND ACCESSORIES PARTS QUESTIONS

Started by my70stangss, June 21, 2017, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

my70stangss

Hi my name is Leroy and out of San Antonio ,Texas.  I have the opportunity to pick up a lot of 1938  V8 motor parts and accessories for a fairly cheap price.I'm trying to find out if there is a demand for them?  I was told the block (has been sitting in a garage for a few years) is a 1938 model and has had all the machine work completed on it awhile back. The cylinders looked to have been cut & honed ,valves look  new (but have surface rust ,as does the whole block), cam & crank look greased up and good. There is also a set of new pistons, gasket set  ,rods, & rings sitting( also surface rust) in a 5 gal bucket. There are 2 transmissions , 3 carbs, 2 intake & exhaust manifolds, starter, 2 sets of heads,  generator and other miscellaneous engine parts, the only thing I see missing is the oil pan (see pics).  My question is there any value or demand for these parts or should I let him scrap them?? I'm a Ford man and don't have any clue on caddie parts.   Thanks for the help guys- Leroy
Leroy Yzaguirre

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

There is some value but don't have a number.  The transmission on the left is 41 and up.  Most likely the trans on the right is not 38 but 39 or 40.  the heads that show the top are 41 and up.  Get the numbers off the block and we can tell you the year.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Bobby B

Quote from: my70stangss on June 21, 2017, 04:57:07 PM
  My question is there any value or demand for these parts or should I let him scrap them?? 

Are you asking if you could make any money on them? Ebay would be your best bet.....

Quote from: my70stangss on June 21, 2017, 04:57:07 PM
I'm a Ford man and don't have any clue on caddie parts.   

Then why would you get involved in the first place?  ???
                                                                             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Glen

Quote from: Bobby B on June 21, 2017, 11:21:40 PM
Then why would you get involved in the first place?  ???

Leroy should be thanked for trying to get these parts to those that could use them.  I’m not a Ford man but I have found Ford parts and saw to it that they got to Ford people.  That’s what real car guys do. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Steve Passmore

As Brad said these don't look like 38 parts. Many cars had later engines fitted and when their pulled people think they are original to that year.   
There is value in this if the machining has been done properly. If I were in your country I would have it in a heartbeat but your countrymen have much more choice and more miles so someone has to be prepared to drive the distance.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Carl Fielding

Leroy , a heartfelt thanks for saving old Cadillac parts. I am in the last stages of a 2 month effort which saved 20 or so ancient engines , 4 of which were Cadillac, 1916 - 1932. None of them were mine , I put time and money in to find new homes for them. I also agree that you are one of the real great car guys who understands the finite and limited supply of old parts. An idea occurs to me. Next year the Cadillac & LaSalle club will be holding our Grand National meet in San Antone. Perhaps someone in the region should take a look and see if there could be some help that way. Please have patience. I see a piece or two I might find a customer for. I am very grateful to you for finding us in CLC , and looking out for our best interests. I hope you will come to our open and free to the public Cadillac show on a G.N. day. Better yet , you sound like a possible conversion candidate. Get yourself a Cadillac , join up , and attend your first CLC G.N. right in your own back yard ! As a member ! Thanks again , friend. Hang in here , and maybe someone much closer to you than Steve in England will gratefully get the parts from you. I am in Washington State. I have a Cadillac I would LOVE to drive to see my CLC brothers and sisters next year. And is not the 1927 I drove to 'Vegas last year. Just another hard core Cadillac nut , I am on the older end of the age spectrum , and not in good enough shape to make the trip in the heat of summer , top down , in the wickedest looking '71 Eldo in the World. It is off-road modified , and has been to places 4WD vehicles would hesitate a bit before proceeding.Places no wheeled vehicle had ever been before. Hey ! We have a 100 year old member in Texas. If he can make it , maybe .............. Hmmmmmm...........   -  Carl

Bobby B

Quote from: Glen on June 22, 2017, 01:58:27 AM
Leroy should be thanked for trying to get these parts to those that could use them.  I’m not a Ford man but I have found Ford parts and saw to it that they got to Ford people.  That’s what real car guys do.

Glen,
From what I get out of his posting is that he's asking people on the forum to identify some pile of parts, so he can see if it's worth his while to make a buck. That's NOT what real car guys do. Why not just pass the person's name off to the forum? I highly doubt that he's concerned with saving a Caddy or two....
               Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

my70stangss

Quote from: Bobby B on June 22, 2017, 07:33:02 AM
Glen,
From what I get out of his posting is that he's asking people on the forum to identify some pile of parts, so he can see if it's worth his while to make a buck. That's NOT what real car guys do. Why not just pass the person's name off to the forum? I highly doubt that he's concerned with saving a Caddy or two....
               Bobby
Well Bobby, I want to thank you  for a  great welcome to the site :-[. I am a guy , I love all old  cars but mostly deal with vintage mustangs.  I don't know many cars guys (a few) that give away their extra parts  , the ones I know (including myself) trade for what they need or sell some of the extra stuff to fund their addictions(cars) .

The guy wants all of the stuff out of his garage asap, he doesn't have the time or drive to sell everything himself piece by piece. I would love for someone to be able to use the parts, than them end up going to a junk yard. I do have to buy these parts, he is not giving them to me & I cant afford to give them away either( haven't hit the lotto yet  ;D). That's why I'm asking is there any demand or value in them ?  I am not a car shop looking to make big $$$ on marking everything up 100%( again I have no idea what they  are worth), I'm just a dude looking @ craigslist ads for car parts & stumbled across these parts .

I received several personal messages regarding the parts , thanks for helping me identify some of the items.
                                                                                                                                                                 Leroy
Leroy Yzaguirre

Bill Ingler #7799

It might help you if you tell us what the person wants for the complete pile of parts. What I do see from your pictures are like parts which are now on ebay. You can get an idea from ebay prices as to what you could ask.  I do not see any rare parts in your pictures that are not available on ebay so even at a low price to you, you might need to sell those exhaust manifolds as boat anchors.     Bill

Bobby B

Quote from: my70stangss on June 22, 2017, 11:05:30 AM
Well Bobby, I want to thank you  for a  great welcome to the site :-[.

Leroy,
If you want to sell parts to "Fund" your addictions, that's all well and good. But to me, Posting on a Cadillac forum to pick everyone's brain and do your homework for you is slightly self-serving if you ask me. E-bay is full of pictures to thumb through to identify what parts that you're thinking of purchasing.

Quote from: my70stangss on June 22, 2017, 11:05:30 AM
I'm just a dude looking @ craigslist ads for car parts & stumbled across these parts .

Exactly what I was referring to......Other people on this forum who are concerned with one another will just take the Craigslist post and re-post it to the site for all here who might be interested in cars or parts. That's what REAL cars guys do. If you're out to make a buck or this is a side business, I personally, would keep that to myself and do what you have to do to sell the parts.
                                                                                                              Bobby

1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

my70stangss

Quote from: Bobby B on June 22, 2017, 02:17:53 PM
Leroy,
If you want to sell parts to "Fund" your addictions, that's all well and good. But to me, Posting on a Cadillac forum to pick everyone's brain and do your homework for you is slightly self-serving if you ask me. E-bay is full of pictures to thumb through to identify what parts that you're thinking of purchasing.

The thing is Bobby I didn't ask you!! You are the only one(so far) that has an issue with me asking questions regarding these parts. If you are not interested in helping answer some of my questions regarding the parts , please stay off my thread. thanks   Leroy

Leroy Yzaguirre

Bill Ingler #7799

Leroy: You should read the forum rules on posting

•   All messages must be signed with a minimum of your first initial and last name. Example: T. Smith. NO  EXCEPTIONS!

my70stangss

Sorry Bill, I updated my  messages  with my name.
Leroy Yzaguirre

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Leroy,

The other day I sent you an email regarding your non-compliance with the CLC Rules of Posting.

In it, it shows you how to comply, and takes you through the steps required for easy compliance.

I cannot see where you have updated your messages.

Thanks,

Bruce Reynolds,
Forum Administrator.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

Quote from: Bobby B on June 22, 2017, 07:33:02 AM
Glen,
               Bobby
And I don’t see a problem with that.  There are members of this club that do that for a living.  I doubt that he is planning to make a fortune on this.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Steve Passmore

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on June 22, 2017, 09:11:21 PM
G'day Leroy,

The other day I sent you an email regarding your non-compliance with the CLC Rules of Posting.

In it, it shows you how to comply, and takes you through the steps required for easy compliance.

I cannot see where you have updated your messages.

Thanks,

Bruce Reynolds,
Forum Administrator.

Perhaps he's confusing 'Private Messages' with his 'Posts' here??
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Carl Fielding

I firmly remain very grateful to Leroy for his considerate efforts on behalf of us old Cadillac owners. I wish there were more people like him. I am extremely dubious of negative value judgments derived from unsubstantiated assumptions regarding his motivations. Leroy , to me , seems like a thirsty rider tying his hoss to the post , walking in , and buying a round for the house while he has his own cold one. He is not some quick-draw gunslinger calling us out. He came to "set a spell" , and lend a hand. I call Leroy a Friend of the Club , and again welcome him , and thank him for thinking of us. Thank you very much , Leroy. Oh , and please contact our fine Tasmanian Administtator , Bruce , to , see what he needs in order to comply. I feel it is for us to pick up YOUR tab ! Salud!   - Carl

my70stangss

These are the numbers I found on the  ( left side)block      601, 6E8578, 6320817 

This is what I found online
1.  6 is the (60 series) Fleetwood, eg. 3 I believe is the 75 series;
2.  E is for 1940. A being the first year of use of the monoblock in 1936, B is 1937, C is 1938, D is 1939, E is 1940, F is 1941 and G is 1942; and
3.  Sequential number
So this would be a 1940 block?            Can anyone please confirm what year the block is???

Thanks for the help - Leroy
Leroy Yzaguirre

Steve Passmore

Only the third number 6320817 means anything, the others are just casting production numbers.  The 3 has nothing to do with the 75 sereis as all series had the second diget as 3.   75 series started with 33.    Yours is a 60 special.      Engine numbers starting with 63 were used on the 60 Special for three years.  Production started at 2001 and ended in 1940 with 44101
Your production number 20817 falls within the first year (1940)
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe