News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

White Smoke when driving my 57 Caddy

Started by eldoguy, June 26, 2017, 12:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldoguy

I'm new to the forum.  My son has posted before about my Caddy under salguod.  Why am I now getting white smoke from the exhaust?  Some say head gasket, others mention a modulating valve which could pump transmission fluid into vacuum system and into cylinders.  What is causing it?  The car was running fine until just recently.  92,000 miles on engine.
1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
1956 Ford Thunderbird
2009 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

J. Gomez

Quote from: eldoguy on June 26, 2017, 12:57:22 PM
I'm new to the forum.  My son has posted before about my Caddy under salguod.  Why am I now getting white smoke from the exhaust?  Some say head gasket, others mention a modulating valve which could pump transmission fluid into vacuum system and into cylinders.  What is causing it?  The car was running fine until just recently.  92,000 miles on engine.

FYI There is no "modulating valve" on the original Hydramatic transmission..!

I would first check the vacuum assist valve which is located on the right side main block just above the oil pan behind the starter.

This valve which extends vacuum from the vacuum pump (which is driven by the oil pump  :( ) up to the firewall vacuum manifold blocks oil to be suction when engine is running. The valve has a small spring with a small plate to block the path and it has a tendency to go bad or get blocked open allowing oil into the combustion.  :o

You can block the output and see if the smoke goes out, if not then other methods would need to be performed to find the issue.

Good luck…! 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadillac Jack 82

Might be your pressure hose for the power steering.  Mine was dry rotten which created small leaks that dripped onto the exhaust manifold.  I fixed it with a reproduction for Caddy Repros and no more smoke!
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Jon S

White smoke from the exhaust is most likely antifreeze being sucked and burned through the engine. Most likely cause a blown head gasket. Usually accompanied with a sweet smell.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Roger Zimmermann

It's probably not relevant right now as it's summer time: when cold, some white smoke is coming from the exhaust, it's just vapor...
When the valve behind the starter motor from my '56 de Ville went bad, the smoke at the exhaust was also white even if oil was burnt.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadman56

Have a shop run a combustion gas test on the cooling system.
Another one is compression test.  I thing Jon S is right on.
Good luck.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

V63

'White smoke' may not be enough information to provide specific remedy. My thought here is to suggest other possible smoke origins besides already mentioned:

1) stale  or contaminated fuel

2) fuel additives, improper dosage

3) fuel contaminated oil (defective fuel pump)

4) oil additives or elixirs

5) improper drainage of oil from cylinder heads to pan

6) valve stem guide wear or seals

7) oil level too high, incorrect/inaccurate dip stick

8) water in oil

9) too thin of oil viscosity

10) fouled plugs or incomplete combustion

11) excessive engine temperature

12) restricted exhaust

13) windshield washer pump introducing water into vaccum system

14) defective, worn, or broken piston rings

15) oil bath filter introducing oil (over filled) to intake.

And I'm sure there are a few others

Duncan Fox

I have always associated WHITE smoke as brake fluid burning , check your m/cyl fluid levels ( have you had to top up?)
and then booster seals from the m/cyl to the manifold vac side of the booster
1930 V16 roadster
2005 CTSV

V63

Yes, brake fluid....that is a great suggestion!

I have heard that 1956 (I realize 1957 model here) was particularly bad for this, as all the brake fluid would be sucked out of the reservoir and complete brake loss was the result. Certainly check for brake fluid loss.