News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 DeVille FoldyTop T&T Question

Started by Bryan Thompson, March 07, 2018, 10:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Thompson

Good morning all,

Newly acquired DeVille FoldyTop doesn't have tilt and tele ( T&T) I've searched in the topic box and have read lots of posts about T&T. Sadly my question wasn't in there.  Has anyone ever switched a non T&T and put in a tilt with no telescoping?  My steering wheel is like new and I think I've found a T&T column I could have painted to match but, not sure about my steering wheel working on the T&T column.  If it's not possible I will learn to live without it but, having driven 1974-76 Eldorado FolyTops for the last 25 years........I've kinda gotten used to it.  Thanks and be gentle ;)
I would rather push an old Cadillac, than drive a new anything:-)

35-709

I am sure that using a correct T&T column for your car would make the swap out a WHOLE lot easier.  Adapting a tilt only column means it is not Cadillac which opens up a whole can of worms.  Here are a couple of possibilities ---

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-Cadillac-Sedan-Deville-telescopic-tilt-steering-column-shifter-hot-rod/292464293701?hash=item44183af745:g:tdcAAOSwXOhaiyNA&vxp=mtr 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-67-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-TILT-TELESCOPING-STEERING-COLUMN-oem/272904757079?hash=item3f8a641f57:g:XhMAAOSwMQBZ8-RO&vxp=mtr

;D  Was that gentile gentle enough?   ;)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bryan Thompson

Thanks, saw both of those. The tan one is nasty, the blue one looks like it has missing pieces and an aftermarket cruise switch that may have altered the turn signal whole.  I think I may have found a decent tan Cadillac column but, I don't know if a non-tilt wheel would go on a tilt column. Thanks for the spell check :-)

cadillacmike68

Yeah, that tan one looks ratty, but I've seen worse.

There is NO cruise control switch of any kind of a 1967-68 (or 69 RWD for that matter) steering column. Those years and earlier had cruise control on the top left part of the dashboard.

There may also be a turn signal switch difference between 1967 and 68. I know there is a difference in the tilt and non tilt switches.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bryan Thompson

cadillacmike68

Yes, I saw the blue one. Too much missing. I don't know if the steering wheel itself is the same for a tilt vs non-tilt, but the tan one, as ratty as it looks is at least complete. The color of the column can be painted to match your car and the levers can be cleaned up.  Mine are well "oxidized" being a convertible, but so what... You can also lather wrap the wheel, which is what I did. 20 years later it still looks good.

That switch on the tilt lever does not belong on a 1969 or earlier Cadillac. It's non-functional. The cruise control is of the left side of the upper dash.

Column change was one of the first things I did with my 1968. I just can't drive a car without a Saginaw T&T wheel. Of course the steering feel went downhill right then and there and has never been what it should be, but that's another story.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillactim

The steering wheel us the same for standard and T-T columns. The only difference is the plastic back behind the horn pad and the telescoping lock plate/lever. Just unbolt and swap out.

Tim
Tim Groves

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

cadillacmike68

^^ He's not too far from me, but I don't dare visit...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike