News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Correct windshield install '68 SDV

Started by taintedsaint, August 31, 2018, 11:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taintedsaint

I'm approaching the install time on my 68 and had some questions about procedures.
I know many 60-70s GM vehicles used a rubber dam stuck on inside of windshield, held about 3/16" back from edge of glass, then urethane adhesive applied between edge and the dam. The dam's purpose was to set the height of windshield off the body pinch weld thus setting its depth in frame so trim fit correctly AND to prevent excess urethane from squeezing out into the field of glass.
Is that the way Cadillac is done or a butyl tape?
Any input is appreciated as well as tips on good source for a new windshield.

Thanks guys.
Nokesville, VA 20181

Barry M Wheeler #2189

What you need to do is find a PPG dealer or a well established installer in the DC area. Or the best restoration shop and find out who they use. I would not use one of those "we come to you" type installers. Or see who chimes in in the area that has a recommendation.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

savemy67

Hello Joe,

I think the '68 Fisher Body Manual will have the correct procedure described in the stationary glass section.  Whether or not you do the work yourself, at least you will know the correct procedure as was used by GM.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop