News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why these cars are being chopped and modified...

Started by 48firetruck, March 05, 2019, 07:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48firetruck

Working on my '42, I thought it would be nice to "freshen up" the wheels. White wall bias tires are $1300 a set and I was quoted $400 a piece to rechrome the hub caps, plus another several hundred to paint the rims. For that money I could buy custom aluminum wheels with much better tires and have cash left over to put towards an air bag suspension.
The younger generation already don't think original cars are "cool" and when they can modify them into something that they think is for half the price of restoring then it's no wonder they would rather chop up a classic than try to preserve it.

Abe Lugo

Because of the cost of restoration, your are bundling a younger generation into "those people don't give a crap about history"....well there are the in-betweeners (people that do care but want something original and safe). I don't think any of those younger guys are the shops and business quoting your prices. Most of the business owners are the older crowds anyhow.

I would say I'm on the younger to middle end of the spectrum here.

If I had to do that specific restoration work.. I would paint the rims myself., have them sandblasted, spray them myself. Then I would pull out the brass wool and chrome cleaner for the hub caps. Put some elbow grease into it unless it is completely show chrome, but I have seen some saves in my time. Sandblasting about 80 dollars at most, if a friend has a blaster, free. Paint about 40 bucks a quart.  Polishing old hubcaps, just time and effort.
I you need perfect chrome, well that is another story, you may as well buy another set that has been done already. The only way to get good prices on chrome is if you are bundling all your brightwork (for 2-3) project together. then you get a deal.

As far as the tires, being a member on some of the other forums gets you free shipping or at least a discount at Coker tire. you are looking at about 200-250 at best for the tires, plus another 100 for mount and balance. This  would be me driving down, pickup up the tires, then taking them to the tire shop to mount.  Maybe post the size of tires and make you are looking for also?
My local Coker tire will mount an balance also. But always shop the mounting prices.
Sometimes a cheaper deal is available if you take car to some of the tire dealers like at the Pomona Swap.
No taxes involved also.

Now if you can't do that yourself- then ranting about prices is a moot point. I would rant about the prices also.

Im not a believer of way lowered vehicles or even cutting up a car for airbags as a suspension trick.
What most people here need to worry about is the whole next 2 generations looking interest in vehicle completely and your old investment with just be a really expensive paper weight or a just another cool daily driver.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Do you have any idea what it costs to bag/lower a Caddy?
Just the bagging is over 3K in parts, not including labor.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

48firetruck

Having done it, I know to the penny how much it cost to bag a car and I can have every part I need delivered to the shop tomorrow for less than doing a chassis restoration with original parts that could take months or years to acquire.
I think everyone is missing my point. If your young enough to not have a personal attachment to a particular vintage car and you can have a nice "hot rod" on the road by this coming show season vs. spending years and piles of money on a restoration that likely won't see a financial return in your lifetime, which way do think most of those cars are going to end up?

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 48firetruck on March 06, 2019, 07:30:21 AM
Having done it, I know to the penny how much it cost to bag a car and I can have every part I need delivered to the shop tomorrow for less than doing a chassis restoration with original parts that could take months or years to acquire.
I think everyone is missing my point. If your young enough to not have a personal attachment to a particular vintage car and you can have a nice "hot rod" on the road by this coming show season vs. spending years and piles of money on a restoration that likely won't see a financial return in your lifetime, which way do think most of those cars are going to end up?

They'll end up as a restomod. It makes more financial sense.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Below are a few examples of modified Cadillacs.

I honestly have given up trying to come up with some
sort of definition that distinguishes between the likes of these
cars and current crop of "restomod" fare. What criterion do you use?
In the end I've decided it's an exercise in futility, therefore pointless to try.

Any one of the cars below would be welcomed with open arms
at any CLC event and rightly so and therefore see no good coming
from endless trash talk of "modified" cars.

That's my rant, for whatever it's worth.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

48firetruck

At least those cars are tastefully done and an attempt was made to keep them true to initial design. If some of these other cars showed up at a CLC event I suspect the reception may not be as warm...

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: 48firetruck on March 06, 2019, 11:41:16 AM
At least those cars are tastefully done and an attempt was made to keep them true to initial design.
If some of these other cars showed up at a CLC event I suspect the reception may not be as warm...

In the case of the 1954 Elegante (white) and the 1949 Saoutchik,
those were pretty radically changed from their initial designs.

Point 100% taken with the others you've posted. I doubt if anything along those
lines is likely to show up at a GN anytime soon.  ;)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I think some of the issues with this group (and I don't mean issues ad a bad thing) is that most of us do our best to keep them running- at least that is me. I enjoy working on them. I enjoy the fact that I have to pump the throttle to start it. Many younger people have no idea what they are doing so an LS is the best option. I don't remember seeing many 55's growing up but I sure saw a lot of 70's when I was a kid. So that is what I like.
What I find interesting as well as frustrating, is that people really get personally offended if I don't like what they did to their car. They seem to take it personally.
I don't know where this hobby will end up. All I can say is that I have never been to a car show and seen someone look at an all original car, shake their head and walk away. Hopefully I never will.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jeff Maltby 4194

Nothing wrong with a modified Cadillac in my view.

My set of 8.20x15 WW Firestone tires cost $600 mounted in 1990.

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/820-15-Firestone-4-1-4-Whitewall-613120L.htm
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500