News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I purchased a 1970 Cadillac today

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, September 29, 2019, 06:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Laurie,
      Your comment is very interesting . I did notice on my car the front seat release is behind the seat near the bottom and others are on the upper side of the front seat. Also some have a red fuel needle and others have white . Can you tell me some of the other changes in early and late model 1970 Cadillac,

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello to all,
     It’s obvious I have a little bit of work to do on this car it not perfect and the engine bay need a good cleaning. I would like to put a perktronis  ignition under the distributor cap . Never had one go bad in over 13 years on the 57’s I owned . Also I need a new positive battery . The spring clip is broken on the one in the car. Does anyone know where that can be purchased ?

Thanks,
     Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,
     The paint on the car is original however it does have a few spots that concern me. I would like to keep it as original as can be . There is an area on the top trunk lid that need attention . Also a spot on the hood on the drivers side . Some might say get the whole  car repainted . Is if feasible to have these areas touched up considering the car was painted with what I believe was  lacquer back then ?   

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

76eldo

You can have things spotted in.
Painting an all original car would be bad. Takes away the persona and will diminish its value. Also won’t be eligible for the CLC Past Presidents Preservation Award.

Wet sanding and buffing some spots may help.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with Brian: Dial in using as minimal intervention as possible; when in doubt, leave alone. Less is more.  Same goes for engine bay. Repainting the entire car would be insane.

And for heavens sake NEVER give the car a traditional sponge bath or rinse with water hose!
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on September 30, 2019, 04:08:28 AM
Hello Laurie,
      Your comment is very interesting . I did notice on my car the front seat release is behind the seat near the bottom and others are on the upper side of the front seat. Also some have a red fuel needle and others have white . Can you tell me some of the other changes in early and late model 1970 Cadillac,

Bill

Not with any authority, but Dave Smith can, I'll ping him about this post.
A new battery cable can be had at any autoparts store, there's a reason why they
morphed from spring to bolt. And I'd bag the Petronix idea too, though some here will
SWEAR by them. My car came with one and it was a disaster, replaced and put back on
points, the car is smoother and I got another 200lbs of torque, YMMV.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

D.Smith

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on September 30, 2019, 10:01:48 AM
Not with any authority, but Dave Smith can, I'll ping him about this post.
A new battery cable can be had at any autoparts store, there's a reason why they
morphed from spring to bolt. And I'd bag the Petronix idea too, though some here will
SWEAR by them. My car came with one and it was a disaster, replaced and put back on
points, the car is smoother and I got another 200lbs of torque, YMMV.

The seat back release location depends on whether or not you have power door locks.  On cars with power door locks you got automatic seat back release too, so there was a smaller, lower lever to unlatch them if the solenoid failed.    Cars without power locks had a larger, higher up release that was easier to reach. 

As for the fuel indicator needle,  I do recall a running change on them at one point to make it easier to read.    I don't have a copy of the Authenticity manual but I'm sure it is covered in there.

76eldo

Bill,

I started to do some research on repro spring ring battery leads.
There are vendors selling them for other GM cars.

Let me know what you find please. I’m interested in a set for my Eldo.
My 70 convertible has them and I never had a problem.

If you stick with points and keep an extra set and condenser and a screw driver on the trunk you will never get stuck on the side of the road.  I’d never put an aftermarket electronic piece in my cars. Those GM point setups have probably travelled billions of miles. Can’t suddenly fall like electronics.

Brin
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Big Fins

And in a pinch you can set the points with the thickness of a matchbook cover, if they are made anymore. If you do any upgrade to the dizzy, make it a factory HEI set up. It can be clocked to not rub on the dual belt system.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Bill Balkie 24172

Quote from: 76eldo on September 30, 2019, 10:45:56 AM
Bill,

I started to do some research on repro spring ring battery leads.
There are vendors selling them for other GM cars.

Let me know what you find please. I’m interested in a set for my Eldo.
My 70 convertible has them and I never had a problem.

If you stick with points and keep an extra set and condenser and a screw driver on the trunk you will never get stuck on the side of the road.  I’d never put an aftermarket electronic piece in my cars. Those GM point setups have probably travelled billions of miles. Can’t suddenly fall like electronics.

Brin
Good Point  Brian
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

cadillacmike68

Remember, You can use a 1/8 allen key wrench to adjust the points while the engine is running.

And as others notes, do not repaint it. Don't even repaint the engine. 

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 30, 2019, 09:31:50 AM
... And for heavens sake NEVER give the car a traditional sponge bath or rinse with water hose!

Why can't he, is it a water quality issue or something else?

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

hornetball

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on September 30, 2019, 12:43:09 PMWhy can't he, is it a water quality issue or something else?

I'm glad you asked.  The statement was delivered with such authority, I was afraid to.  ;D

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Older cars are known for water/moisture entrapment areas and older sheetmetal received little to no formal treatment for rust resistance to begin with. Compounding the problem are the oil based sealants and weatherstripping that have decomposed with age and/or use that no longer provide effective protection against water penetration when new. For these reasons traditional washing of older cars should generally be avoided at all costs.

I always thought this was common knowledge among owners of older cars but if it's not, it should be. The only reason I mentioned this is because I noticed water drops in some of the pictures shown and the wet driveway which suggested the car was just washed/hosed down. Anybody who's been around Cadillacs of this era knows that bumpy vinyl roofs are positively epidemic in these cars and it's due to water penetrating behind the roof material where it will quickly begin attacking the metal underneath.

If Bill wants to keep his bump free vinyl roof bump free, he'd be wise NEVER to allow water to get anywhere near the roof - ESPECIALLY around the seals of the rear window area - ever! And even if it does have a few bumps, he's be equally wise not to invigorate it, or any dormant rust yet unseen. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Fins

Thank you for the explanation.

Gee, I wash mine about once a month then use a gas powered leaf blower to make sure all of the water is out from under the trim. I even dry on the inside of the doors, hood and trunk lid.

That is mainly for washing off the salt air that gets on it with driving here.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

hornetball

Wise counsel.  Water = Corrosion.  Minimize the washing.

As for vinyl roofs, there is nothing more depressing than stripping the vinyl roof off of a '70 Eldorado to investigate bubbles (been there, done that).  Horrible things.

Cadillac Fleetwood

What a splendid car! I am thrilled for you that your search ended with a car that is not only low-mileage and excellent, but in your choice of color as well! Best of luck with it.

Send me a PM with your address and I will send you an unbroken original black map lamp bezel/lens.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

76eldo

I follow the advice of the man that bought my black 70 eldo new.
I’ve owned it for going on 2 years.
I keep is as clean as I can by garaging it of course and wiping it down with Maguires spray Detailer and a micro fiber towel.

I have never taken a hose to the car and it’s sparkling clean.
I blow off any dust with my compressor and liberally spray the Detailer and wipe it down.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

Lovely car, Bill.  After talking with you about my former 70, I'm glad you got exactly what you were looking for. 

As far as the washing goes, I use a waterless wash on mine prior to any quick detailer.  I like the Pinnacle waterless wash as it has lubricants in it to prevent dust from creating swirl marks as it's moved around by the quick detailer.  Then I follow-up with the quick detailer and only indoors out of dust and sunlight.

Trust me - I've owned several black cars over the years and once buffed after they come into my possession, the swirl marks remain minimal. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Bill Balkie 24172

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on September 30, 2019, 02:35:27 PM
What a splendid car! I am thrilled for you that your search ended with a car that is not only low-mileage and excellent, but in your choice of color as well! Best of luck with it.

Send me a PM with your address and I will send you an unbroken original black map lamp bezel/lens.

Charles Fares
Hello Charles ,
      Thank you so much for your Kindness . I have also sent parts to other fellow member no charge . i cant tell you how much i appreciate   it .

Bill

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS