News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Voltage regulator trouble?

Started by 2danreed, October 25, 2019, 05:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2danreed

I just replaced the alternator and voltage regulator on my "64 Cadillac. Everything seems to be charging correctly (12 volts at bat. with car off, 13-14 volts when the car is running) Odd problem is that the volt. reg. is causing the GEN light to come on while driving at certain rpms, it blinks on as I slow to a stop. Then blinks on again as I take off from a stop, but stays off while cruising speed. Then when I park and turn the car off the GEN light comes on! I can only get it to go off if I disconnect the four wire plug on the voltage regulator. What's the deal?
Dan Reed

Bobby B

Maybe the VR needs to be adjusted? "New" Alternator could have a bad diode or dead spot once it heats up. All this stuff is from China now and the quality of the rectifiers are terrible. They will trash a computer in a modern car.
                                                                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

z3skybolt

might want to check with Brillman. I bought a high quality made in the USA regulator and other parts from them. Mine was $96.00.  Not cheap but good quality. Working perfectly after 500 miles.

https://brillman.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7PKWyfW45QIVah6tBh1qqwETEAAYASAAEgL6BPD_BwE

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

2danreed

Thanks guys.  I decided to go with an upgrade to an internally regulated 3-wire alternator. That did the trick. Its charging correctly and the GEN light comes on only momentarily at startup and goes out when running and when the car is turned off. That external regulator must have been the culprit.
Dan Reed