News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New 1956 Fleetwood owner

Started by FiftySix, February 25, 2020, 09:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiftySix

Hi everyone, I recently picked up a 56 Fleetwood in pretty decent condition. Runs and drives but I think it has an exhaust leak and possibly an intake manifold leak. Here's a few pics of when it got delivered. Looking forward to spending time on the forum learning the ins and outs of these cars.

Sean
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jeepers Creepers

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

chrisntam

Welcome!

You've come to the right place for guidance & direction.

Thanks for posting pics.  Beautiful car!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cadman-iac

Welcome Sean, I think you will find more information and help here than any other place out there.
I've been here for just a few months myself,  and I can tell you that there's a lot of good people here who are very knowledgeable about these cars and willing to pass that on to you.
I'm in the middle of trying to restore my 56 Coupe Deville with a few modifications, and I've received a lot of useful information from many people here.
  If there's something you need,  just ask. I will try to help if I can. I'm just wrapping up on rebuilding my windshield washer pump and you can see my progress on the general forum under "looking for a special rivet".

Good luck on your repairs,  and again,  welcome.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

FiftySix

Quote from: Cadman-iac on February 25, 2020, 11:26:55 PM
Welcome Sean, I think you will find more information and help here than any other place out there.
I've been here for just a few months myself,  and I can tell you that there's a lot of good people here who are very knowledgeable about these cars and willing to pass that on to you.
I'm in the middle of trying to restore my 56 Coupe Deville with a few modifications, and I've received a lot of useful information from many people here.
  If there's something you need,  just ask. I will try to help if I can. I'm just wrapping up on rebuilding my windshield washer pump and you can see my progress on the general forum under "looking for a special rivet".

Good luck on your repairs,  and again,  welcome.

Rick

After searching the internet I kept seeing a lot of great info come from this site, so that's why I joined. I'll be working on my windshield wiper system at some point as well, the previous owner took off all the vacuum lines for some reason.
Sean
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood

Cadman-iac

I noticed that the wipers were in the extended position in one of your pictures.
Hopefully the system only needs new hoses to operate again.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

James Landi

Having owned 2 and "daily driven" them during separate periods throughout the 60's and early 70's, I, as is the case with many other members, have a wealth of knowledge about some of the issues that you'll do doubt encounter as a fifty-sixer.  What you ask us and how you practically employ our advice are personal considerations for you.  I can state, however, that if you have questions, that are technical, that you carefully read the responses that are offered.  We've an incredibly knowledgeable group of folks who want you to succeed, want you to preserve the car, and don't want you to be frustrated and disappointed. My other suggestion is to focus your questions on safety (brakes, steering, lights), engine and drive train.  Hope this helps, and above all else, WELCOME     James 

Lexi

From a fellow "Fifty-Sixer", well said James and ditto the other comments as well. Clay/Lexi

jaxops

Welcome and congratulations!  If you're replacing your air intake, you might want to take the time to block off the exhaust crossover ports going under the carburetor.  Will save you a lot of grief later!!  Best of luck with your new-old car!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

James Landi

Mark, what were the ports all about-- Having owned two '56 SDV, I would occasionally attempt to clean those ports and open the holes going to the exhaust.  I always assumed the intention was to heat up the bimetal coil in the automatic choke, and also pre heat the carburetor on cold days.  I recall an incident where I took off the top of the carb after running motor, and the gas was fuming and there were bubbles --- I vividly recall thinking, all that heat in isn't good and these passages in the intake are part of the problem... What was thinking in the design?  James

FiftySix

Quote from: jaxops on March 01, 2020, 12:14:01 PM
Welcome and congratulations!  If you're replacing your air intake, you might want to take the time to block off the exhaust crossover ports going under the carburetor.  Will save you a lot of grief later!!  Best of luck with your new-old car!

Thanks for the tip. The last owner put an Edelbrock carb on the car and I'm not sure if he did anything beyond that. I haven't had time to dig into the car too much yet to investigate. I assume there's an intake leak because it looks like there's a 2-inch piece of something he shoved between the intake manifold and the block, where I assume the leak is. I Just rebuilt the generator today but then my battery charger was acting up so I couldn't get the car started to test it out.
Sean
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood