News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Saw this on utube

Started by spolij, May 17, 2020, 11:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spolij

https://youtu.be/0ZvhB3t2LLs?t=111
Suposedly over 25,000 parts for 59 78 Eldorado's does restorations.

Cadman-iac

Hey John,
Thanks for sharing this.  Good to know where I can get parts for some of my columns if I need them.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

spolij

wrench

Lol, you might want to check on the price of those parts.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Highwayman68

Quote from: Cadman-iac on May 17, 2020, 11:44:55 AM
Hey John,
Thanks for sharing this.  Good to know where I can get parts for some of my columns if I need them.

Rick

George doesn't sell parts, especially the plastic latching part that he makes, he only sells the completely refurbished columns for around $1,300.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Highwayman68 on May 18, 2020, 07:42:44 AM
George doesn't sell parts, especially the plastic latching part that he makes, he only sells the completely refurbished columns for around $1,300.

Would that be the plastic piece that aligns and insulates the spring that sits under the telescopic wheel? That piece that locks the "C" clip in place that acts as a stop for the upper travel of the telescopic portion of the column? That piece that never ever comes off in one piece? Is it that piece you are referring to?
CRAP!!! That's the one piece that I would really like to get new.  I've been gluing them back together and shaving off the little locking lip that snaps over the "C" clip and shaft end so they don't break apart from the stress of trying to reinstall them. 
I guess I'll be gluing for a bit longer! I can't afford $1300 for a column no matter how nice they are. Not that they are not worth it. His columns look beautiful, and if I could afford it, I wouldn't mind having one. But since I just use them in my trucks, it's not really justified.
Now if I could figure out how to fit one into my 56 and make it look factory, that's a different story!

Rick

PS:I guess I should clarify a bit too, he shows a 67 column in his video, which is a non-locking version.  All of the ones I have are the later version with the key switch in it.  I'm not sure if that piece I was talking about even fits the 67/68 column. I looked at the video again just to verify that, and I didn't see it anywhere in the parts he had layed out there.
CLC# 32373

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Rick,

Making a simply compressor tool out of a piece of scrap makes the task really easy, and no further messing with trying to press down and fit the clip.

The long bolt threads down into the column and locks the telescoping shaft to stop it moving, and the nut is turned to press the "U" shaped piece downward, compressing the spring under the plate, thus giving plenty of space to fit the clip.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

Hey Bruce,

No, I guess the part I'm referring to is the insulator and lower alignment guide for the telescopic spring.  You know that piece that I sent to you with the other column pieces.  I had to glue yours together too, as I have never had one come off in one piece.
It's a sort of star shaped piece with a hump or bulge in the middle.  It keeps the spring centered around the shaft so it doesn't ground out and blows the horn. And it keeps the spring from touching the "C" clip.
Do you know the piece I'm referring to?

Rick
CLC# 32373

The Tassie Devil(le)

The one I took out of my original column was in one piece, so I used that again. 

One has to be careful with any plastic pieces.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

spolij

Highwayman68 "George doesn't sell parts"  He should change his utube ad then. He clearly says he's got 250,000 parts. They can't be all columns.

I think i lost the c clip snap ring? 66 deville I think it was metal.

MaR

Quote from: Cadman-iac on May 18, 2020, 08:00:39 AM
Would that be the plastic piece that aligns and insulates the spring that sits under the telescopic wheel? That piece that locks the "C" clip in place that acts as a stop for the upper travel of the telescopic portion of the column? That piece that never ever comes off in one piece? Is it that piece you are referring to?
CRAP!!! That's the one piece that I would really like to get new.  I've been gluing them back together and shaving off the little locking lip that snaps over the "C" clip and shaft end so they don't break apart from the stress of trying to reinstall them. 
I guess I'll be gluing for a bit longer! I can't afford $1300 for a column no matter how nice they are. Not that they are not worth it. His columns look beautiful, and if I could afford it, I wouldn't mind having one. But since I just use them in my trucks, it's not really justified.
Now if I could figure out how to fit one into my 56 and make it look factory, that's a different story!

Rick

PS:I guess I should clarify a bit too, he shows a 67 column in his video, which is a non-locking version.  All of the ones I have are the later version with the key switch in it.  I'm not sure if that piece I was talking about even fits the 67/68 column. I looked at the video again just to verify that, and I didn't see it anywhere in the parts he had layed out there.

Is this the piece you are looking for?

If so, they are about $10 new for a reproduction part. The T&T column that was used from the 60 through the 70s is basically the same as the one that was in Corvettes (and other GM products) of the same era. Corvettes have a much larger aftermarket so searching for parts with that in mind can make things a bit easier.

Cadman-iac

I have one older column without the lock cylinder and switch on it, but I can't remember what year it came out of. I think it's older than the 67/68 columns, because it has the expanded metal lower tube as the collapsible portion, not the large into small tube design used from at least 67 and up.
I don't remember if I have the wheel for it either. It's all stashed away in my parts bus, I'd have to dig it out and look at it.
But it's complete otherwise.  If it has the clip on it, I'll compare it with the later locking columns.  If they are the same,  I think I might have a spare one John.
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Yes! That's the piece I'm  referring to.  Thank you for that Mitchell !  I appreciate the tip. So they used it on the non-locking columns as well huh?
  That will save me a lot of time and effort trying to piece these back together.

Yes!!!! Many thanks,

Rick
CLC# 32373

MaR

Quote from: Cadman-iac on May 18, 2020, 09:51:09 AM
Yes! That's the piece I'm  referring to.  Thank you for that Mitchell !  I appreciate the tip. So they used it on the non-locking columns as well huh?
  That will save me a lot of time and effort trying to piece these back together.

Yes!!!! Many thanks,

Rick
I don't know about the interchange on that part. I'll check with my parts manual and see what it says.
Here is a link for the part: https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-horn-contact-retainer-1970-1989.html

Cadman-iac

It looks to be correct. My wife's 72 Vette has a tilt/telescope column in it and other than the steering wheel, it appears to be identical to what Cadillac used from 69 on. I never really thought about looking for the piece from an aftermarket supplier.  I figured it would remain something you had to get from GM, and given their past problems, and how they dumped a lot of their older parts coverage, I gave up on finding a new one.
If you can verify the fitment on this piece,  I would greatly  appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Rick
CLC# 32373

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Highwayman68 on May 18, 2020, 07:42:44 AM

ElDorado George!

Yeah he does sell some parts, like the clock adjustment knob for $160.00.  :o
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike